codel dsl line

J

John Evans

just been having a debate about whether the dsl line should flash or not on the codel box- we have been experiencing connection problems- when we asked someone they said the green light should be constant...I thought it had always flashed- anyone know anything about flashing

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
just been having a debate about whether the dsl line should flash or not on the codel box- we have been experiencing connection problems- when we asked someone they said the green light should be constant...I thought it had always flashed- anyone know anything about flashing

My flashes. Sometimes when our internet is slow, we unplug the unit and count to twenty then plug it back in. Seems to help.

Good luck, Ringo

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Kinda like Ringo, except when we start to have problems (slow) with our DSL I hit the reset button. It does SEEM to make it better.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The ones that I have seen all flash, but bear in mind that there are different models, so it is possible that yours might work differently, albeit unlikely.
The suggestion of rebooting the unit is valid.
It appears that if the connection you have slows down, rebooting it (or resetting, same result) gets you another line that isn't as 'congested".

J

John Evans

im only asking the question because we rang a so called expert out of a free paper and he said it should be a constant green light and there is a problem on the line if it flashes

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
im only asking the question because we rang a so called expert out of a free paper and he said it should be a constant green light and there is a problem on the line if it flashes
Perhaps the expert would perform better had he not had a lobotomy.

J

John Evans

speedstream its a very high end Dominican model lol...seen in all the right places

J

John Evans

it does in deed - i was just wondering if it always had -because doubt was put in my mind

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Codetel with Speedtouch modem

The power and DSL LED's are constant (don't flash) the Internet and USB/Ethernet LEDS do flash. rebooting the modem does sometimes gain a fster connection as does rebooting the computer if it's been running a long time

Feb 7, 2007
Speedstreams flash.
(should flash)

Not correct.

Speadstreem 4200 (I have) and I have seen in many hotels in the Capital.

This should be when it's OK:
Power - solid
Ethernet - Solid
DSL - solid
USB (off) - unless you connect via USB and not Etrhernet cable
Activity - Flashes when there is activity (upload/download, browsing, anything that transfers data in either way)

When the modem synchronizes, the DSL light flashes. Usually it needs two sync cycles. So it flashes for about 10 seconds, then about 5 seconds off, then flashes again until it gets sync and flashes.

Now if it flashes a lot it is synchronizing a lot and you have a problem. I know - because I have been through it.

You can also go here http://10.0.0.1/ and see your modem status

When the line is OK, you should see your IP address in green something like this

Point to Point Connection Summary:
PPPoA(0) 0/33 200.88.XXX.XXX

when it flashes is not connected it says PPPoA(0) not trained in gray letter

You can also go to Status and Statistics, System Log, and then see your log.

It should look like this.

0000-00-00 00:00:01 E |System |Current Mode: Bridge-Router
0000-00-00 00:00:01 E |DSL |Boost DSP
0000-00-00 00:00:01 E |DSL |DataPump Version - 03.02.06.00
0000-00-00 00:00:02 E |DSL |State: WAITING
0000-00-00 00:00:04 E |DSL |State: INITIALIZING
0000-00-00 00:00:10 E |DSL |State: WAITING
0000-00-00 00:00:15 E |DSL |State: INITIALIZING
0000-00-00 00:00:23 E |DSL |HYBRID 1
0000-00-00 00:00:23 E |DSL |Link up 1 US 128 DS 768 (INTL:ANSI)
0000-00-00 00:00:33 E |PPP |LCP up
0000-00-00 00:00:33 E |PPP |IPCP rej option: 129
0000-00-00 00:00:33 E |PPP |IPCP rej option: 131
0000-00-00 00:00:37 E |PPP |IPCP nak option: 3
0000-00-00 00:00:37 E |PPP |IPCP up ip: 200.88.194.2, gw: 172.16.32.1
0000-00-00 03:47:00 E |Ethernet |Link 1 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex

If you see a lot of WAITING and INITIALIZING, and Link up ##number## and then Link down ##number## (e.g. Link Up 37 US XXX DS XXX) you have a problem. These two along with Link Up ##number## show a syncronization cycle. Once you see Link Up ##number##.
PLEASE differentiate between Link Up ##number## which is syncronization attempt and Link 1 Up (last line in log) which is a local ethernet connection up.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I got a growing problem too... but don't know if it's the same:

I got a growing problem too... but don't know if it's the same, but some seem to know about IP addresses, static or dynamic and such... I'd ask:

Around just after the time Verizon became Jodetel again, I seem to have an increasing problem with web pages opening. The way this appears is, that if I open xyz.com at times, the browser will show that it could not finde xyz.com.
When refreshing, I can observe on the bottom of the browser that it is either indefinitely "looking for xyz.com", "connecting with xyz.com" or "waiting for xyz.com" to no end.
Sometimes it can do all that very, very rapidly too, but still end up stating that it could not find. Sometimes it's only sub pages it won't take... four hours and than with no apparent reason... it works again with that page and not with others. It seems it can't handle requests properly anymore.
It happens randomly with all and any website and most times I can open most any other web site. But lately it is getting exponentially worse and Saturday it culminated to the point where I could only open the codeltel.com.do page but when trying to chat with the online support... it would not reload the chat page :tired: ... half an hour later... somebody, somewhere must have flipped a knife switch up and it worked beautifully again... for a couple of hours.

Anybody know if I can do something on my side besides imagining recipes on how to fry some people at Jodetel?

I use WinXP SPII, FireFox and/or MS-iE7 with the Verizon SpeedTouch standard DSL modem.

Thanks! ... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I got a growing problem too... but don't know if it's the same, but some seem to know about IP addresses, static or dynamic and such... I'd ask:

Around just after the time Verizon became Jodetel again, I seem to have an increasing problem with web pages opening. The way this appears is, that if I open xyz.com at times, the browser will show that it could not finde xyz.com.
When refreshing, I can observe on the bottom of the browser that it is either indefinitely "looking for xyz.com", "connecting with xyz.com" or "waiting for xyz.com" to no end.
Sometimes it can do all that very, very rapidly too, but still end up stating that it could not find. Sometimes it's only sub pages it won't take... four hours and than with no apparent reason... it works again with that page and not with others. It seems it can't handle requests properly anymore.
It happens randomly with all and any website and most times I can open most any other web site. But lately it is getting exponentially worse and Saturday it culminated to the point where I could only open the codeltel.com.do page but when trying to chat with the online support... it would not reload the chat page :tired: ... half an hour later... somebody, somewhere must have flipped a knife switch up and it worked beautifully again... for a couple of hours.

Anybody know if I can do something on my side besides imagining recipes on how to fry some people at Jodetel?

I use WinXP SPII, FireFox and/or MS-iE7 with the Verizon SpeedTouch standard DSL modem.

Thanks! ... J-D.

OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet

Using there DNS could very well solve this problem.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Not correct.

Speadstreem 4200 (I have) and I have seen in many hotels in the Capital.

This should be when it's OK:
Power - solid
Ethernet - Solid
DSL - solid
USB (off) - unless you connect via USB and not Etrhernet cable
Activity - Flashes when there is activity (upload/download, browsing, anything that transfers data in either way)

When the modem synchronizes, the DSL light flashes. Usually it needs two sync cycles. So it flashes for about 10 seconds, then about 5 seconds off, then flashes again until it gets sync and flashes.

Now if it flashes a lot it is synchronizing a lot and you have a problem. I know - because I have been through it.

You can also go here http://10.0.0.1/ and see your modem status

When the line is OK, you should see your IP address in green something like this

Point to Point Connection Summary:
PPPoA(0) 0/33 200.88.XXX.XXX

when it flashes is not connected it says PPPoA(0) not trained in gray letter

You can also go to Status and Statistics, System Log, and then see your log.

It should look like this.

0000-00-00 00:00:01 E |System |Current Mode: Bridge-Router
0000-00-00 00:00:01 E |DSL |Boost DSP
0000-00-00 00:00:01 E |DSL |DataPump Version - 03.02.06.00
0000-00-00 00:00:02 E |DSL |State: WAITING
0000-00-00 00:00:04 E |DSL |State: INITIALIZING
0000-00-00 00:00:10 E |DSL |State: WAITING
0000-00-00 00:00:15 E |DSL |State: INITIALIZING
0000-00-00 00:00:23 E |DSL |HYBRID 1
0000-00-00 00:00:23 E |DSL |Link up 1 US 128 DS 768 (INTL:ANSI)
0000-00-00 00:00:33 E |PPP |LCP up
0000-00-00 00:00:33 E |PPP |IPCP rej option: 129
0000-00-00 00:00:33 E |PPP |IPCP rej option: 131
0000-00-00 00:00:37 E |PPP |IPCP nak option: 3
0000-00-00 00:00:37 E |PPP |IPCP up ip: 200.88.194.2, gw: 172.16.32.1
0000-00-00 03:47:00 E |Ethernet |Link 1 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex

If you see a lot of WAITING and INITIALIZING, and Link up ##number## and then Link down ##number## (e.g. Link Up 37 US XXX DS XXX) you have a problem. These two along with Link Up ##number## show a syncronization cycle. Once you see Link Up ##number##.
PLEASE differentiate between Link Up ##number## which is syncronization attempt and Link 1 Up (last line in log) which is a local ethernet connection up.

Thanks for that info. rubio. Mine works exactly as you stated. And I've been having a terrible time for the past 6 weeks or so with connectivity. Sometimes it connects to the internet, sometimes not. If it doesn't work early in the day, it might decide to work later so I shut it completely down and wait until later. This is NOT what I'm paying for to say the least. BUT, Codetel has been to my house 5 times in the past two weeks and nobody seems to have a clue as to what the real problem is nor how to fix it. So where do I go from here? Just use it when it works? This is so crazy to me and I'm not really up on technology so it's not easy for me to even follow your entire email. I was just wondering if there's anyone anywhere in or near POP that a person can call to have someonce KNOWLEDGEABLE come out to your house and see what's going on and, hopefully, fix it. Am I asking too much??

Frustrated and tired,

Feb 7, 2007
If it does a lot of synchronization (e.g. lots of times DSL line is flashing) it is a bad line. I had the problem couple of months ago. The line can be good for telephone calls bud not good for internet. It progressively got worse from mid-February to mid-march. And worst thing of all, it did not have a specific time of the day or night it would not work.

How it got repaired - rininging up a knowledgable tech.

How it has to get repaired - make sure a line installation guy (not Internet tech that loads up CD in your laptop) gets dispatched. If it is a line problem, line tech has to get to your p;lace, not an Internet tech.

So if it is a synchronization problem, your line (pair of wire) did go bad. How - no idea. Why now - no idea. Worked before - good, but does not work now. Why? No idea.
BUT........ to get it resolved
a knowledgeable tech needs to put your connection on a different pair of wire (the physical wire that goes from the black box on the street hanging to a "palo" to the telco's exchange). If they have no spare available - bad luck because it will take lots of persuasion to put somebody else using only telephone on "your" pair of wires and your line on "their" fine working pair of wires. Which, in case they do not use Internet and only telephone, and interference is not that bad, they would see no difference in their line quality. But you would get a better internet. Now, if there is available "pair of wire" the tech needs to measure the line parameters at both ends - at the "black box" and in the exchange, and also in your house. If the new pair conforms to the parameters needed for the Internet synchronization, he puts your line there (switches from the old, nonconforming pair) and you would be good to go. This all can get done in less than two hours (if no lunch break interferes). WARNING!!!!!!!! After the tech disconnects your line, you're in the dark until he connects it back to a new pair of wire. Always, SIEMPRE!!!get the name and phone number (cell) of the tech doing the job. If you feel nervous that your line is not back up after two or three hours, call him.
After he finishes up, have a bottle of whiskey (ca 500 pesos) ready to hand over. They cannot and WILL NOT accept cash not even inside your house - at least here in Higuey. (New company policy as I was told).

Again, this is if you are experiencing connectivity issues - that your modem seems to be synchronizing a lot (see the modem stats, as per instructions above, see how many WAITING and INITIALIZING pairs you have in what time period - in best case scenario you should have only one for each power-cycle of the modem). That was problem when i had issues, synchronizing a lot and connection would get dropped every 15 secs - 15 mins, progressively worse, and even having periods of the day AND night when it would not synchronize at all.

If your modem appears to be synchronizing properly and you check the log and it looks OK, and you have connectivity issues to the Internet, you have to look elsewhere and not on the physical line.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Trabajadora - Call Codetel and tell them you want to file a "reclamacion" - not AVERIA, but RECLAMACION. They will give you a different case code and somebody will contact you within 3 working days.

If your problem does not get resolved in a reasonable time period (e.g. 3 days after you file a RECLAMACION) PM me and I will send you a contact for the director of data services at Codetel.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hi rubio,
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Right now is the first time I was able to connect today. Sometimes it works during the day but it's easier at night. What's going on (I've been trying to keep my eye on the speedstream thingy), is that the activity light either takes a long time to start flashing when I'm trying to do something, or it doesn't come on at all. Also, I've noticed lately that the DSL light either goes out for no reason, or flashes for a few seconds before it becomes steady again. When the "activity" light stays off while I'm trying to do something, if I wait long enough, it will either finally start to flash and later connect me, or I just get frustrated and shut the system down. Sometimes shutting it down (once or twice) does the trick; other times it does nothing.

Now, I'm not sure who came out from Codetel the second time (the first time the guy didn't have a clue), but I believe it was a line person as my husband (who is the one doing all the communicating with Codetel since I don't speak Spanish enough to be of any use) was told that the problem was in the line, and that it needed to be replaced. This is where the problem comes in (the REAL problem). On the third and forth trip to my house, attempts to install a new line were unsuccessful. My husband wasn't home so I did the best I could to understand the line guy. He said the line kept being cut by something inside the cement wall of the house where he was trying to pass the line. After a while, they (there were two guys) left and said they'd come back the next morning at 8a.m. because they didn't have any more line.

The next morning, they were here at 8:20a.m. (to my surprise) and attempted once again to pass the line through the cement wall and up into the connection point on the balcony. Unsuccessful again. Then my husband came outside to see what they were talking about and he told them to just run the line up the outside wall of the house to the balcony connection point. They did and my internet began to work again (at that point we had no service at all for 2 weeks). But, the Codetel guys told us that this was not a proper installation as the line is supposed to go in the wall and that there would be constant interference between this line and the other lines running from the pole (electric cables, phone cables). So this is why I'm having so much problems. They told us that eventually the whole thing will stop working. Seems I'm on the way to being at that point. But nobody at Codetel has a solution to the problem of this line being repeatedly cut when trying to run it inside the wall (they said it was because the owner of the home did a shabby construction job or something like that).

So now what????? A reclamation? I don't know what that is. Hopefully this message will post.