Sunday thread. Pictures of jarabacoa, taveras Dam, cobreboy's visit.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is how I spent my sunday (yesterday). Took my girlfriend to jarabacoa to a river (confluencia), then a short visit to cobraboy and his lovely girlfriend Alida. Then we took the road to the other
river in jarabacoa. Took some more pictures. We didn't want to bathe in the river because the water was rough due to recent rains plus too many rowdy tigres all around. So i simply resorted to taking pictures. Then we went to Presa taveras (Taveras dam) and took some more pictures. I hope you will enjoy them.

dx0607.jpg

jarabacoa (confluencia river)

ehkmrb.jpg

recent rains have distroyed the area where people used to sit and BBQ. Now all
is left are huge rocks.

205whoo.jpg

9h6nmc.jpg

Horse for rent.

2h4mcxs.jpg

23vjgu9.jpg

976738.jpg

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Nice pictures. I wouldn't have gone swimming either. AZB do you have any idea what they charged for renting the horse. Every time I go by a river and there are horses my daughters want to ride. I always feel that I overpay for them. But I guess you cant put a price on your child happiness. Also did you crash any picknicks?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
2metlhl.jpg

fvzor6.jpg

AZB's better half is taking an ice cream break. This is natural, home-made famous jarabacoa icecream.

2i73489.jpg

15z59x4.jpg

waiting for customers.

2vunex3.jpg

Cobraboy, Mrs. AZB, Alida (cobraboy's better half). Sorry the faces have to be distorted for ladies. This is the net, who know who is looking at them.

1ypim9.jpg

Mrs. AZB trying out cobraboy's bike.

2v81y74.jpg

Back to campo.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Nice pictures. I wouldn't have gone swimming either. AZB do you have any idea what they charged for renting the horse. Every time I go by a river and there are horses my daughters want to ride. I always feel that I overpay for them. But I guess you cant put a price on your child happiness. Also did you crash any picknicks?

I don't know the prices because I don't ride the horses. I am afraid of them. I have seen a few people with broken bones and even broken necks, from falling off aggressive horses.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so3fb4.jpg

House on the field just eating grass.

mvtf87.jpg

Presa taveras (taveras water dam)

dqn4e9.jpg

5zffgj.jpg

2itg905.jpg

santiagueros enjoy a boat ride, full of girls.

nvec5k.jpg

x270aw.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just to let some people know, dominican republic is not all about beautiful beaches.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB is that boat in the dam? where is it?

yes, it was in the dam. You will see people take their boats and jet skis on regularly there. I hear its a good place to fish as well.
AZB

P.S. I don't know if you folks can notice but the boat was going too fast yet the people were loving it inside the boat. they were making sharp turns and spinning the boat in water. I was surprised no one fell into the water.

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
Just to let some people know, dominican republic is not all about beautiful beaches.
AZB

Those pictures are really nice - thanks for sharing. I am not a beach person and am looking forward to my upcoming trip (5 days & counting!). With a week in Santiago and another week in Cabarete I'm going to get out "exploring" as much as I can since I've rented a car for my 2nd week.

Robin

May 31, 2005
Cool pictures AZB. Thanks for posting them. I really liked the ones of the presa Taveras. El paisaje es muy hermoso.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
yes, it was in the dam. You will see people take their boats and jet skis on regularly there. I hear its a good place to fish as well.
AZB

P.S. I don't know if you folks can notice but the boat was going too fast yet the people were loving it inside the boat. they were making sharp turns and spinning the boat in water. I was surprised no one fell into the water.

and probably drinking, oh boy!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I will definitely try to visit Jarabacoa on my next trip.

How far from Santiago?

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org

Last time I was there we rented the horses for 35 pesos an hour.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
So I have been going to Colombia since 2006. I have found nothing there that compares to Jarrabocoa. No matter how many places you go, there are things in every country that will always bring you back.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
So I have been going to Colombia since 2006. I have found nothing there that compares to Jarrabocoa. No matter how many places you go, there are things in every country that will always bring you back.

Are you kidding me? Colombia is way more diverse and nature is well kept than DR...I appreciate the pics that the OP took, but I have seen nicer places of Latin America (Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica)...I see too many deforested hills and the rivers, Jarabacoa does not impress me at all...you can see how the deforestation and the construction companies have destructed the rivers. DR people boast of how "diverse" it is (in the Caribbean context) but I think that Cuba and Jamaica may well deserve the title when in 10 or 12 years down the road this country looks more like Haiti than to itself.