I need a light traveller from USA please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A friend & good contact of mine has acquired (not sure if that means bought, begged stole or borrowed) 3 chest protectors & 3 sets of shin guards which he is donating to a charity down here. Is there anyone due down to the North Coast within the next 3 - 8 weeks that is travelling light enough as to enable them to bring these down?

I will be contacting the Mail Forwarding companies in the next day or two but although I know they will deliver free once IN the DR, they will have to charge for airfreight from Miami to whichever of the Dominican airports the use.

I will organise postage from Maine (location of goods) to your requirements & advise of expected delivery dates etc. Thanks in advance for any offers of help! ~ Grahame.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
they're bulky for carry on and i wouldn't risk putting them in my stowed luggage due to thefts at airports...

Mar 2, 2008
I have a sense that people might need more specific information regarding weight and bulk. I assume the items are little league-style catcher chest protectors and shin/knee protectors, but the weight is crucial, given the new airline charges for second bag etc.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
That stuff should all fit in one large bag, and it wouldn't weigh more than 50 pounds. Since I often come down with just a carry-on, I could do it, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get in a trip til September.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for the responses so far folks, a couple of possibilities for later in the year have come up & I will be progressing them if there are no earlier couriers. I have spoken with Business Mail to try & get free passage from Miami for charity donations - they wanted to know which planet I came from to as for FREE things on airflights these days!!

If anyone thinks they might be able to bring them AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS imposed by the flight &/or Tour Company, feel free to let me know who you are travelling with & I will write to them asking for 'special treatment' as these items are for a Charity. Who knows, ONE of them might be compassionate!!

I have written to the person who has acquired them asking for dimensions & weight - I'll put them here (& reply to the PM's) when I have that data. 12 - 15 lbs for THE LOT seems a reasonable guesstimate! That is US $30/35 by Business Mail! :eek:gre: :paranoid: ~ Grahame

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Grahame,

Mrs. Ringo has a layover in Miami hotel on July 18th and leaving for POP on the 19th. IF the equipment is boxed and ready to go, can it be sent to the Miami hotel? She will have to open and inspect before she gets to the airport, extra tape inside would be nice.

IF she has a problem, she will send it to via EPS and we can deal with whatever later.

Let us know and we will PM proper information.

Regards, Ringo

Mar 2, 2008
If anyone thinks they might be able to bring them AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS imposed by the flight &/or Tour Company, feel free to let me know who you are travelling with & I will write to them asking for 'special treatment' as these items are for a Charity. Who knows, ONE of them might be compassionate!!

Grahame,
You know I'll do it with the above stipulatation June 26, and otherwise in August.

The airline in June is Delta, and in August it's American.

If only it were cricket protective wear there would be nothing to worry about.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I will be going to Punta Cana July 11 - July 15.

Dont know if PC will be to far for pick-up.

Let me know!!!

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
I think its well worth asking the airline for extra allowance as its for charity , I did this in the U.K and they kindy doubled my allowance , with a letter to produce at check in , this made me and a lot of children here very happy ,as i was able to bring 20kg of childrens clothing

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for ALL the replies, VERY heartwarming to know we can organise things so quickly!!

My acquaintance in Maine has promised delivery to Miami EXPRESS post so I have elected to ask Ringo (or rather Mrs. Ringo) to bring the stuff down next week. (Sorry to see your other post Ringo but please PM me with Hotel details immediately so that I can tell Glen location to put on outside of package!!). Can I keep you as First reserve HS10 - just in case something gets screwed somewhere along the line?? I have become very used to the Dominican culture & now try to keep plan 'B' ready for when Jack Screw-Up shows his unwelcome face!!

If all or ANY of you others can still find room for a few balls or even school books/pencils etc, I shall be delighted to receive them on behalf of Integracion Juvenil or if you have the time, take you along to the school to meet the teachers & kids there!!

Again, thanks for all the offers ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think its well worth asking the airline for extra allowance as its for charity , I did this in the U.K and they kind doubled my allowance , with a letter to produce at check in , this made me and a lot of children here very happy ,as i was able to bring kg of children's clothing
I did this some years ago too Peter & it worked very well as I recall. I was working in the same office as the consulate & managed to get the letter on to their headed notepaper. Said something along the lines that "this eccentric old biddy is known to do these good works in supplying school items & medicines for the poor of Puerto Plata ........". When she got to Gatwick check in desk she received so much respect & good service she was through that section in moments!!

She certainly doesn't get that amount of attention in THIS household though :pirate: ;), it would be seen as letting the side of male chauvinism down!! :ermm: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
SWMBO changing acronym to EOB (eccentric old biddy) STILL has that letter. Date has been changed a few times, mind you...........;)
SWMBO???

Could it be...SWMBO, pronounced 'swimbo': 'she who must be obeyed'. "Your wife, dumbnuts! She's the kind that makes you go to SOFEs 'significant-other forced events'!"
A gentler form of SWMBO is a GLW: 'good lady wife', rare as a two-tailed lizard!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My acquaintance in Maine has promised delivery to Miami EXPRESS post so I have elected to ask Ringo (or rather Mrs. Ringo) to bring the stuff down next week. (Sorry to see your other post Ringo but please PM me with Hotel details immediately so that I can tell Glen location to put on outside of package!!). Can I keep you as First reserve HS10 - just in case something gets screwed somewhere along the line?? I have become very used to the Dominican culture & now try to keep plan 'B' ready for when Jack Screw-Up shows his unwelcome face!!

Again, thanks for all the offers ~ Grahame.
Well it looks as though something HAS come in to screw things up ........... Ringo got a bit upset with someone somewhere & has left DR1. I wrote a PM, left a message on his public message system & covered it here to boot - regrettably no reply as yet. As time is now getting short for ensuring stuff posted to Miami (should Ringo get in touch with me) will even have a chance of getting there on time, I would like to take up the offer of HS10 & have the stuff posted on to him. Is that still on HS10? I'll send you a PM immediately after this & if it IS Ok to use your kind offer, let me know your address to pass on to Glen. ~ Grahame.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
My pleasure to help

I believe i sent you my contact info ...let me know if you didn't receive it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I believe i sent you my contact info ...let me know if you didn't receive it.
Got it Thanks HS10 - will be sending details on to my contact & either he or I will advise when package is posted.

I'll send you an e-mail giving you my Tel. No. etc so that you can advise your location when IN the DR & maybe we can meet up. If you want to go to Integracion Juvenil I'll gladly take you there - it is just across the road from the second (smaller/tradesman) entrance to Playa Dorada!

Thanks for helping out & look forward to making contact at the end of the month. ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.