"iPhone 3G" by Apple Computer

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
According to the usually reliable 'Wall Street Journal", Apple has issued a new & superior iPhone, dubbed the "3G"; it will be sold in 70 countries, commencing 7jul08.
* Will it be available in the DR? When?
* Will its sale & use be limited to 1 exclusive DR cell phone service provider? Which?
I'd appreciate any available info from those alert Techies & cell phone addicts [myself excluded] who are in the forefront on these issues. Thank you.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I say wait a month and the price will go down.

its $300!!!! the insanity!!! ayy

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
$200 ! ! ! My oversight!

I neglected to mention [old age?] that the retail, USA price of the new "3G' is $200. The original iPhone was $600!! For a cell phone!!
* Later, Apple reduced the price to @ $400. Now $200! next year? $100? $150?
* I fear that the DR price, assuming it's available in the DR will be more than $200.
* The big features with the iPhone are a camera & the ability to surf the internet. With DR wireless networks few & far between, I'm not sure this feature will be worth much.
* DRs seem to have an addiction to sell phones? But not to PCs nor the internet. 1 Gringo's opinion.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
"As Fortune.com first reported, the new 8-gigabyte iPhone will cost $199 and a 16-gigabyte version will cost $299. Jobs says the new iPhone will be available worldwide starting July 11. It will allow up to six hours of Web browsing and five hours of talk time."

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

I guess the trick question is when exactly is "coming soon", could be this summer or it could be by xmas. Plus, when it comes it could be exclusive to just one carrier like AT&T in the US. IMO, until it is officially sold in the DR, you will have to buy it elsewhere and unlock it and who knows when that will be. If you happen to unlock it, will you receive all of the features it offers??

Last edited:

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
It seems like both Orange and Claro will be offering the new Iphone according to Apple web site.

I am not sure though if either have a 3g network in place for DR. I doubt it.

An unlimited data plan is also a must for an iphone. I only saw limited Gb plans so far.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
It seems like both Orange and Claro will be offering the new Iphone according to Apple web site.

An unlimited data plan is also a must for an iphone. I only saw limited Gb plans so far.

Claro has 3G on gsm but not with extensive coverage, Orange has just EDGE now, it would be nice if they launch 3G and the IPhone at the same time, but I haven't heard about any plan for that...:disappoin

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I will be testing EVDO (3G) over the next few days. Viva is dropping me off a kit tomorrow afternoon. I'll post new thread on how I get on with it.

The old iPhone will work on any of the 3 main networks (Claro, Orange & Viva) here, as they all offer GSM service. I hear the new iPhoneG3 will be locked into the provider, so it looks like the days of unlocking and using are fading fast. Then again, I heave heard that before.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first: iphone is not "just a cell" it's a camera and ipod and everything :cheeky: very fancy stuff.
miesposo's best friend is tech freak and he has iphone, works fine. i think he has orange chip...

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Here's the rub ...

... And that's the catch. No matter what smart phone you buy, the Internet speed here in the DR is as slow as molasses (and there is no unlimited plan). You'll use so many minutes simply logging on to a site that it makes the most useful features of these phones, too expensive to utilize.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
... And that's the catch. No matter what smart phone you buy, the Internet speed here in the DR is as slow as molasses (and there is no unlimited plan). You'll use so many minutes simply logging on to a site that it makes the most useful features of these phones, too expensive to utilize.

I don't see Apple handing their new jewel to second rate data networks. They will make sure the carriers provide what it takes to launch the iphone3g in DR, or they won't release it.

Notice that Orange seems to be getting the highest amount of countries for the ip3g. You don't get something like this form Apple without assurance.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Claro do have an unlimited data plan for about an extra 1400RD a month. They also sell the Blackberry and HTC touch which are both smartphones. I bought a Blackberry for just 2000RD when I signed up for my post pago plan but i keep the phone as a standby because I have taken out the sim card and put it in my iPhone.

It works well here. It even streams Youtube clips and the web browsing is adequate. It's great for email though. All in all, the iPhone is a wonderful gadget, just don't flash it around too much or you'll make yourself a target for a green eyed ladrone.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Claro do have an unlimited data plan for about an extra 1400RD a month. They also sell the Blackberry and HTC touch which are both smartphones. I bought a Blackberry for just 2000RD when I signed up for my post pago plan but i keep the phone as a standby because I have taken out the sim card and put it in my iPhone.

It works well here. It even streams Youtube clips and the web browsing is adequate. It's great for email though. All in all, the iPhone is a wonderful gadget, just don't flash it around too much or you'll make yourself a target for a green eyed ladrone.

Did you just plug in your SIM card and have data access?

In the states on TMobile for example you need to enter data into a 3rd party application (server information) to use a TZones plan.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Viva have unlimited data on their EDVO network. The cost is RD$1415 per month plus taxes. It's stupid simple to set up, plug in the USB modem, input a few settings and your off and running. I'm using it right now to post this :) I'm going to be doing some speed tests in Santo Domingo and the north coast over the next few days.