law??

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
I was working on my wife's car yesterday and than i heard bang, boom, pow! for a good minute. As i looked towards the street, i saw a dump truck with its bed fully upright as this idiot kept driving taking out all power lines as he went past. He stopped in front of my place only to remove the wires from his truck[ an amazing view as i waited for him to get fried] the many witnesses did take photos of his plate with cell phones and myself copied his plate number as well as the phone number on the truck since it was up for sale. He went on his way within 20 minutes and of course no police came or the electric company. My wife and i and I'm sure many others sat in the house with no electric after our invensol had enough and died. The electric company finally came about 9pm where this happened about 1:30 in the afternoon. Still, all the power lines with 2 meters, yes 2 electric meters that were ripped out from homes, lay-ed in the street and on the sidewalks with many passbyers including small kids. is it me or what?? I was very worried about other people walking past here especially animals and the children while these live wires just lay there. what gives here about the law in this country?? I asked my wife to call 911 of course and she told me, uh yea right! she did anyway and it seemed like we just bothered the police and they never came as she stated anyway.

Who can this be reported too since we have the plate number as well as i'm sure the owners phone number? any help here/? thanks. Anthony

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
With all due respect....
Por el amor de Dios............WHERE DO YOU LIVE???
Something is always happening!
I feel so bad for you, I really don't know what you could do as I am sure that you could complain to the police until you are blue in the face, that doesn't mean that they will do anything.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
With all due respect....
I feel so bad for you, I really don't know what you could do as I am sure that you could complain to the police until you are blue in the face, that doesn't mean that they will do anything.

Address would help huh? lol esn qesquiea...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Address would help huh? lol esn qesquiea...
Quiqueya...
It's just one of those things that could only happen in the DR.
One cannot male any radical changes here, so the best bet is to try to understand the culture, develop a high level of tolerance and patience, and remember when these things happen, that it's nothing personal.
If not, you'll wear a hole through your stomach with ulcers.
When the dude ripped out your wires, you were upset by the lack of care and respect, while the driver had none of that in mind.
He was simply trying to go down the street and he ripped out some wires in doing so.
It's like the high beams that they won't turn down.
I used to get so upset that I was almost ready to kill, as I felt that they were putting my life at stake, so I perceived it as a declaration of war and was willing to try to drive them off the road or throw something at them. (yes, I've done it)
Now I know that it's nothing personal.
The guy might be distracted or simply can't see well so leaves his high beams on.
He just doesn't know or care, because he's child-like in that way.
It's part of who they are.
Their happy go lucky child like ways is really appealing to us as gringos, as we are all knotted up inside from our high efficiency cultures.
So we want to get away from all that and be fancy free like them, yet there is a major conflict, like we do care about having food on the table tomorrow, and we know that if we borrow money, we have to pay it back, and we all want to think of our futures, so that when we get old, we don't have to live like paupers, so we can't let go like they can, but......
We can at least accept that they are that way and no longer get upset at each and every thing.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
With all due respect....

He is living in the D.R. As a matter of fact you haven't moved to the D.R. yet SKing, have you???

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
whelp rocky, I'm like that now and perhaps for a while. I just cannot get myself to accept the things that go on here. We lost the car 2 weeks ago because nobody stops for stop signs, lights, etc not to mention my wife! Thank God she is okay as you know. The matters of most if not all of the people that i encounter every single day!, Just standing on line at the market and some idiot thinks they were next and I'm always on the line with the 10 items or less. [cant wait?] Funny! I'm the guy that See's a person waiting to pay for one item and i let them go.. Anyway, thank God once again that nothing burned from this sudden drop and spike in the electric from the dude who took out the entire street of 3 blocks... {nobody tried to stop him!] I'm the only person that ran out and yelled and I'm shocked [no pun intended] he heard me since it sounded like he was going into 2nd gear with the supercharger so damn loud as he was going to shift for more power... wtf!!!?? I did not work on the car today since we are still not out of the woods as of yet.

My wife spoke to the electric company via their truck outside and they said it will take a week to finish and to get us out of danger since there is still live wires above and they can cause a fire. Well, I know a lot about everything and what scares the hell out of me most is that of course we have the transformer located on our pole!! [of course!] So believe me, you do not want to be 2 blocks away when one of these blow! and for me, the car is about 15 feet of this and cannot be moved since i have the entire front end off. [sheet metal wise] but on blocks... I am so glad that nobody got killed at this point. I asked my wife, what would happen if somebody picked up one of the power lines? Answer: dead, question: who would be responsible? Answer: nobody... NOBODY!!!!! so for me, now she knows why i carry my passport if i am not with her, at the very least, [if it's not stolen] They would know who i am although I'm sure i would be very decade by the time i was reported dead. [halfway eaten by the locals as well] I'm just getting or have been a bit on the wild side lately and my wife is getting worried saying, she does not know me anymore. I feel like I'm back in my teens [body feels about 85] waiting for somebody to mess with me directly. I can honestly say, i feel real sorry for the one that does.

Sorry for all my negativity, but with all my pain, having no money, losing our transportation, not being able to see my kids, I'm ready! I'm really ready to call it a life. All I think about is why don't they recycle-wow! how much money that would save this country. why don't they do this, this is a crazy life here and i did not ask for any of it. But as some of you know, I'm stuck here. Now, the only thing I want to do is get my wife a visa so perhaps i can go back and live with my dad-[Yea! oh joy! he is still with the same woman that abused me all of my childhood] but my wife has a son and I would need to get 2 visa's... wishful thinking since it now costs over 500.00 dollars for the I-130 or the I-129 petition. getting 825.00 a month?? mmmmm.. I can cut back on eating for 2 or 3 months, tell that to the family court somebody PLEASE!!! Sorry for my post of crap! but its now 1:30 in the morning and as you can see, i don't even sleep much anymore. I'm still waiting to get some feed back just in case somebody has some electric damage to their appliances or their home. I have the info on this truck, and i would really like to report it just in case someone needs help in getting their fried property paid for. Am i just wasting my time as my own wife told me? If that's the real deal, I'm really sorry for this country.... I only want to help. Thanks, Anthony

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Whatever you are feeling, please leave out phrases like that above. The people here are not cannibals. Enough is enough.

I must agree,

The Cowabunga tribe that arrived by canoe, many moons ago, were directed by the Trade winds that many Spanish settlerls relied upon.

Cannibals have not arrived here lately, but if they do... Then they are going to need some food that will stick to their RIB's.

If only they knew how to make potatoe salad....and lose the raisins.

The professor....and ... Gilligan

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I understand, Anthony, and I empathize, but... and this is a big but.
What I said, still applies to you, more than most in your case, as you are at that stage (known as phase 2) where every little thing is making you crazy.
You have 2 choices.
Get out or get used to it.
It's as simple as that.
It may not be easy to do, but the third option is a non option and not a choice to be made, if you ever want to feel a gleam of happiness for the rest of your life.
I have seen those who are constantly upset/displeased/unsatisfied.
As long as they stagnate in that state, their lives aren't worth a pinch of raccoon poop.
It's your choice.
Nobody, much less myself is denigrating the hardships you have and are going through and getting all this off your chest may provide you some relief, but it doesn't change the fact that you still only have the 2 choices, as choice #3 is equal to no life.

Those who move here to work (in other words, not the retirees) in an integrated fashion with the Dominicans, (that is to say, this might not apply to the guy who sits at home on his PC working the stock market or something similar) generally go through 3 phases, assuming they are here for the long haul.

Phase 1)
I love them.
I love this country.
It's heaven.
It's paradise.

Phase 2)
I hate the bastards.
They're all crooks.
They have no respect.
They drive like maniacs, etc.

Phase 3)
I understand now.
I will not get so upset anymore.
I can change some things from the inside, but it is mostly me who needs to adapt.
They're not just out to get me. They rob rich Dominicans too.
The good folks are really good.
They are warm and passionate and loving.

Some folks stay stuck in phase 2 and will never......never.......never...... be happy here.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Great post, Rocky.

((Do you think there may be a Phase 4? ))

-You have (99%) figured them out after a few years of living in the trenches
-you anticipate their next move and plan/prepare for it
-when they do exactly what you expected them to do, and thwart them, you chuckle to yourself
-and if they come up with something new, you also chuckle at their inventiveness and add it to your book of knowledge

Adapting is the best way. Regaining your sense of humor is what keeps one sane here in the DR, and can be a great diversion. And it's much easier than being angry, or always being a hardaxx with everyone (my biggest ongoing struggle).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To the OP: Go to the Police, with a few neighbors, if you please, and file a "querella"(Complaint) citing the truck the day date and time, giving as much detail as you can.

See a lawyer, ask if he will work on a contingency plan. File another complaint. Sue for a ridiculous amount. Settle for less...\\

I understand your situation and have "been there" Done that" Just take a deep breath...

HB

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Sorry Anthony I feel your pain. DR is a beutiful country-I believe just for vacationing right now. Please don't let it get to you or you will go crazy. I think the mix of cultures will help DR in the long run, but for now we just have to deal with the situation. Good luck

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
Wow!

Inspirational and wise thanks Rocky (aka DR Confucius!)

What I said, still applies to you, more than most in your case, as you are at that stage (known as phase 2) where every little thing is making you crazy.
You have 2 choices.
It's as simple as that.
It may not be easy to do, but the third option is a non option and not a choice to be made, if you ever want to feel a gleam of happiness for the rest of your life.
As long as they stagnate in that state, their lives aren't worth a pinch of raccoon poop.
It's your choice.
Nobody, much less myself is denigrating the hardships you have and are going through and getting all this off your chest may provide you some relief, but it doesn't change the fact that you still only have the 2 choices, as choice #3 is equal to no life.

Those who move here to work (in other words, not the retirees) in an integrated fashion with the Dominicans, (that is to say, this might not apply to the guy who sits at home on his PC working the stock market or something similar) generally go through 3 phases, assuming they are here for the long haul.

Phase 1)
I love them.
I love this country.
It's heaven.
It's paradise.

Phase 2)
I hate the bastards.
They're all crooks.
They have no respect.

Phase 3)
I understand now.
I can change some things from the inside, but it is mostly me who needs to adapt.

Some folks stay stuck in phase 2 and will never......never.......never...... be happy here.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
You have 2 choices.
It's as simple as that.
It's your choice.

Phase 1)
I love them.
I love this country.
It's heaven.
It's paradise.

Phase 2)
I hate the bastards.
They're all crooks.
They have no respect.

Phase 3)
I understand now.

Phase 4

And now I am smart and beaten down to dirt and will never ever again will trust a single word here nor will give away a single dollar no matter whoever whatever promises and guarantees to me.

(The only problem with the wise Phase 4 is that one has first to survive through phases 1-3 - i.e. gringo`s apprenticement toll.)

But even without my addition I love the Rocky`s post and general harmless humour - very intelligent and deep as usual.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
lol thanks rocky! nothing here was meant has harm, I have 3 kids that are 1/2 Dominican back in the states and I am a very proud dad! I was with their mom for 13 years, so it strikes my funny how these people change once they live in the states, or perhaps it is just a front that they put on here. I was born in freeport NY, about 70% white 20% black and the other 10% purtorician or Dominican. Now its about 80% Dominican and i can honestly say, they are very nice people. So, many of the Dominicans either move to freeport, St Nichols in Manhattan, or live in Jersey City in N.J. I wake up ****ed off and being 1:30 am when i posted, I was not feeling good about anything as i usually do. sorry if i upset anyone, but i'm at my wits end and close to doing something real soon about it. Rocky, I'll take phase2 with phase4 for even the shock and awe could not change me anytime soon.