Moving my dog to the DR

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
I will be moving to Santo Domingo in September, and I will be bringing my 86 pound labrador retriever with me. Can anyone offer any information on the different options I have to transport him? I have heard of an airline that will fly him in cabin, but I don't know which one or any details about it. Has anyone heard of this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Most airlines allow no more then 3 pets in the cabin and they have to be in an approved travel bag and fit under the seat. Vet papers no more then 30 days before flight.

Check with your airline, they can give you all the details.

Regards, Ringo

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You may have a problem with the weight. Dog plus crate can only weigh a certain amount and I'm not sure what that is. You should contact the airline to find out.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Moving a big dog....big challenges

I moved my 100 pound dog to the DR about two years ago. So I know the routine.

1) September is still during the months when the airlines say they do not take pets as cargo. It is due to the high temperatures.

2) If the temperature is above 85 degrees (maybe 80...) at the departure airport or in santo domingo, no airline will take them at any time of the year. It is safe to say that it will be 85 here in SD in September.

3) therefore you are stuck using air cargo. It is best to work with a pet relocation company who has working relationships with air cargo companies. The air cargo people will generally not accept responsibility without such a middle-man.

4) there are many pet relocation companies but find one that is convenient for you and seems reputable.

5) I was moving from Arkansas but actually drove my dog to Miami and flew him (and my wife + kids) from there in order to make the journey shorter for him. He stayed at the kennel of the pet relocator the night before the flight.

6) all told....it cost more to move him here than my ticket in the plane. I am sure you will spend over $500.

There are other links and info here about the health certs and clearance paperwork so I will not include that. But good luck. I am glad we have our dog here with us. He is a GREAT deterrent to unwanted guests and ladrones. Many people here are afraid of large dogs (large = bigger than a chihuahua).

Jim

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
rephrase

Ok, let me rephrase:

I am looking for information on a pet relocation service.....

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
American Airlines

Check the AA pet information page for the airline regulations.

Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy

Your dog will need to be fully vaccinated and you will need a letter from your vet stating this. You present the letter when you arrive in the DR (small office just off of where you pick up your luggage) and pay a couple of thousand pesos.

Temperature might be an issue because, as stated by previous poster, the forecasted high can't be above 85 degrees on either side and average highs in September are in the 88 degrees range.

You might luck out on the temperatures, but if not, it will be worth your while to pay the extra money and contact a service. If you google you'll find several, this one was first.

Pet Travel Services - Shipping, Relocation, Airline, Happy Tails Travel, Animal Freight, Animal Cargo, Overseas Pet Travel Services, Pet Travel safety

Good luck!