Looking for mangos largos

Nadya

Jun 11, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post!

My husband and I visited the DR last summer and he fell in love with these mangoes that people in Haina and Santo Domingo call mangos largos. Does anyone know the actual name of that mango? We haven't been able to find it anywhere on the Internet! We live in Florida and we're trying to buy some over here or get the tree from somewhere so we can add it to our fruit collection in our garden. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

J

John Evans

langdo is the nearest type I can find
There are 450 types in pakistan only so it could be a fruiless task ...jaja

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Off to the market on Monday so I will ask the name then, but there aren't many around yet

J

John Evans

just a couple of good firm mangos would do for me and a nice juicy lechosa

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
There are so many mangos in Costambar at the moment, unbelievable, you just have to pick them up from the ground, every morning during my walk I take home about 20, and make a delicous juice.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They have local names for each variety, and you would not find them by that name, abroad.
Secondly, the export mangos are usually chosen for special qualities, like standing up to time and banging around, so you are not likely to find that exact one being exported to you.
BTW: Those big mangos are often referred to as "los mangos de Bani", as that is the area where they all grow.

A

apostropheman

I spent an afternoon near Bani knocking fresh mangoes from the trees. They really are near perfect when ripe and I've never tasted better :)

I may just have to return sometime. I'm craving them severely...and the ones available here are nothing at all like I remember from the DR. In fact they're downright nasty, not to mention hideously expensive.

They have local names for each variety, and you would not find them by that name, abroad.
Secondly, the export mangos are usually chosen for special qualities, like standing up to time and banging around, so you are not likely to find that exact one being exported to you.
BTW: Those big mangos are often referred to as "los mangos de Bani", as that is the area where they all grow.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I spent an afternoon near Bani knocking fresh mangoes from the trees. They really are near perfect when ripe and I've never tasted better :)

I may just have to return sometime. I'm craving them severely...and the ones available here are nothing at all like I remember from the DR. In fact they're downright nasty, not to mention hideously expensive.
I guess you don't want to hear about me buying 7 jumbo ones, the other day.....:cheeky:

Nadya

Jun 11, 2008
I've been to Bani and the surrounding area--I lived in the DR most of my childhood--and I've had what we used to call "mangos banilejos" but they are smaller, fleshier, rounder and yellowish/reddish on the outside when ripe.

The ones I'm looking for are kind of enlongated and they stay pretty much green in the outside even when very ripe. They have lots of fiber and we used to smash them against something to make a pulp out of them, and then make a little hole on the top and suck the juice out.

I'm not sure if this description sounds weird but that's what we used to do! I remember that whenever we tried eating mangos largos the normal way we just ended up with a lot of fiber between our teeth, so this was a great way to enjoy them.

I agree with you, John Evans--any kind of mango would do it for me too, but not lechosa so much. Maybe tamarindo or chinola or cajuil or guayaba or even guanabana...

Rocky, do you know if it's possible to get a mango tree from the DR?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've been to Bani and the surrounding area--I lived in the DR most of my childhood--and I've had what we used to call "mangos banilejos" but they are smaller, fleshier, rounder and yellowish/reddish on the outside when ripe.

The ones I'm looking for are kind of enlongated and they stay pretty much green in the outside even when very ripe. They have lots of fiber and we used to smash them against something to make a pulp out of them, and then make a little hole on the top and suck the juice out.

I'm not sure if this description sounds weird but that's what we used to do! I remember that whenever we tried eating mangos largos the normal way we just ended up with a lot of fiber between our teeth, so this was a great way to enjoy them.

I agree with you, John Evans--any kind of mango would do it for me too, but not lechosa so much. Maybe tamarindo or chinola or cajuil or guayaba or even guanabana...

Rocky, do you know if it's possible to get a mango tree from the DR?
I imagine you could get a tree or a cutting, but would it grow and bear fruit where you live?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I think you might be talking about mango 'maracaton' large and stay green even when ripe. but the ones we would bang against a rock to soften were the 'punta dulce' then we suck the juice out of.

a couple of delicious mango recipes:
mango/yogurt smoothy, mmmm delicious, take some yogurt and cut up mango pieces and blend you can add a little water if you would like it more liquid.

mango plus other fruits smoothy, take mango pieces, pineapple pieces, banana and papaya, if the fruit is not cold add some ice cubes and some water and blend. mmmm very refreshing and nutritious. do not add sugar.

or do any combination of those, the banana makes it creamy.

Nadya

Jun 11, 2008
Well, I live about 20 minutes north of Miami and we have a few mango trees plus aguacate, lechosa, platanos and citrus tress growing in our backyard so I don't see why this one wouldn't. But where can I get it and how to bring it over here legally?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I live about 20 minutes north of Miami and we have a few mango trees plus aguacate, lechosa, platanos and citrus tress growing in our backyard so I don't see why this one wouldn't. But where can I get it and how to bring it over here legally?
That's the 64 million dollar question.
Other than getting a clipping and sneaking it in, I don't know how you would do it.

Jan 5, 2006
The mango that you described is commonly referred to as "mango tetera" in DR.

Unfortunately, I think that the only way that you'll get a cutting to the US is if you can manage to sneak it in. You can try to bring in several small cuttings, that have been harvested and packaged in plastic right before you go to the airport. As soon as you get home, cut off 1cm from the end of your cuttings, dip them in water, then root stimulator powder, and plant them in some rich potting soil. If that doesn't work, nothing will!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I think you might be talking about mango 'maracaton' large and stay green even when ripe. but the ones we would bang against a rock to soften were the 'punta dulce' then we suck the juice out of.

a couple of delicious mango recipes:
mango/yogurt smoothy, mmmm delicious, take some yogurt and cut up mango pieces and blend you can add a little water if you would like it more liquid.

mango plus other fruits smoothy, take mango pieces, pineapple pieces, banana and papaya, if the fruit is not cold add some ice cubes and some water and blend. mmmm very refreshing and nutritious. do not add sugar.

or do any combination of those, the banana makes it creamy.

You forgot mango chutney, mango sorbet.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Yes. It is called also "mango de teta". (MAR, we were talking about this in another thread.)

Want to have a mango tree?
Eat the mango, wash the pit and leave it out in the sun for several days to dry, put it in your purse, plant it in Miami. (Is this illegal?)

Nadya

Jun 11, 2008

Unfortunately, I think that the only way that you'll get a cutting to the US is if you can manage to sneak it in. You can try to bring in several small cuttings, that have been harvested and packaged in plastic right before you go to the airport. As soon as you get home, cut off 1cm from the end of your cuttings, dip them in water, then root stimulator powder, and plant them in some rich potting soil. If that doesn't work, nothing will!

Yes, that's the one I'm looking for! I remember that name too.

Now back to my original question, does anyone know the actual official name for that mango, not just what they are called in the DR? I even tried the Departamento de Agricultura and they have no idea. This is really important to my hubbie because he thinks we can get a clipping from somewhere if we find out the name.

Thank you for all your help. You guys are awesome!:)

Nadya

Jun 11, 2008
Yes. It is called also "mango de teta". (MAR, we were talking about this in another thread.)

Want to have a mango tree?
Eat the mango, wash the pit and leave it out in the sun for several days to dry, put it in your purse, plant it in Miami. (Is this illegal?)

I'm not quite sure if the Miami Airport Customs would still consider it a fruit or not:paranoid: But that's an idea!

Last edited: