AVG Free edition no more? What's everyone doing?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Some time ago Rocky had advised me to get rid of my Norton Anti-virus and download AVG after having many problems with Norton. (best thing I ever did)

I see that as of June 25th. we will have to download AVG 8 and it won't be free anymore!

So my question is what is the best route to take now...

If this subject has been discussed before please forgive me.

Cheers / Larry

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh no that's what I use. I didn't know the free one will no longer be available.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
AVG8 is free, as was the 7.5. (When you get to the stage that a new window pops up asking for the registration number, you just click cancel and it continues to install, but the free version)
There is a more automated version that one has to pay for, again, just like the 7.5.
The 7.5 won't update anymore, so one has no choice but to do something.

Here comes the problem.
The new AVG 8 is a heavier program, as it also does spyware, so it is no longer a good option for weak puters.
In short, I use it one my Vista puter and it doesn't even slow it down by a millisecond, but my public puters with XP and less guts, were all slowed down by the new version, so I have gone to the next best alternative, Alvira.
I have used Alvira in the past and it was always as good as AVG and a lightweight program, but the older version didn't self update, so I preferred AVG.
Now the new Alvira self updates, is every bit a good as AVG 7.5 and DOES NOT slow your puter down.
Here's the download site.
MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
yes it's good and so is Wud's suggestion, but for those of us who want to maximize the performance of our puters, they are unacceptable.
I have tested retested and tested again.
Alvira is the only good free one left that is truly lightweight.
If you're going to go with Avast, then you might as well stick to the AVG 8.
It does more and is still a bit lighter than the Avast.
I'm not saying that it's no good.
I'm saying that there is better.
Alvira for weak puters, AVG 8 for powerhouses.

PS: If you knew how many hours I have spent testing them all, on varied puters, with different operating systems, you would laugh at me, but it's my hobby and I love it, and at the end of the day, I know for fact which is the best.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
AVG 8.0 is great!!!

I used the free AVG ever since Marco recommended it to me in '06. But the free version still wasn't giving me enough protection, as I download a ton of media.

I few weeks ago I went ahead and upgraded to AVG 8.0 Internet Security. It comes with a lot more protection than the free version. Trust me, nothing is getting by this baby. It updates automatically and I've set it to scan my system for threats daily. Haven't experienced any slowing down of my system yet. And I still have XP (I prefer it). But my pc has some muscle. So that shouldn't be an issue.

It's well worth the $54.00 I paid for it.

Vince.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
You can significantly reduce the CPU usage of AVG 8 by eliminating the spyware part from the resident shield.

Tools > Advanced Settings > Resident Shield > uncheck "unwanted programs and spyware threats".

AVG is supposed to release an update in the near future which will split the engine into two parts and make it less processor intensive.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I used the free AVG ever since Marco recommended it to me in '06. But the free version still wasn't giving me enough protection, as I download a ton of media.

I few weeks ago I went ahead and upgraded to AVG 8.0 Internet Security. It comes with a lot more protection than the free version. Trust me, nothing is getting by this baby. It updates automatically and I've set it to scan my system for threats daily. Haven't experienced any slowing down of my system yet. And I still have XP (I prefer it). But my pc has some muscle. So that shouldn't be an issue.

It's well worth the $54.00 I paid for it.

Vince.
Sounds good & glad to hear that you're PC has the required muscle, as it truly is a great program.
It might be worth noting to those who use the free program, that you will still be super protected, but without some of the automation.
PS: When I refer to AVG 8 slowing down a puter, I don't mean to the level that Norton does, but something in between.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Avast is also a free anti virus program that is really good. You might want to check it out, its worth it!!!

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
Some time ago Rocky had advised me to get rid of my Norton Anti-virus and download AVG after having many problems with Norton. (best thing I ever did)

I see that as of June 25th. we will have to download AVG 8 and it won't be free anymore!

So my question is what is the best route to take now...

If this subject has been discussed before please forgive me.

Cheers / Larry

If you are a true Microsoft owner you can get the windows defender for free and also get the ad-ware 2007 for free through ad-ware. This is what i do, I have signed up for the free updates with Microsoft, they notify me through my email when there is an update for security, windows, office, etc. When i get a notice, i go to their website, they scan my computer for the latest update and it shows me what i need and i download it. I use the adware2007 everyday and you can set it to run on its own or do it manually. Also, if you fear about any other worms or spy ware, you can go to Microsoft and down load the miraculous tool which will scan your computer for these things just to be sure the others did not leave something behind. i pay nothing and never had any worries at all. I have a HP media station dual core Pentium, so this computer is my life. I watch TV on it as well as use it for many other things of course.

Direct link-- http://www.adware2007.com/

http://aim.search.aol.com/search/search?&query=2008 adware&invocationType=TB50TRab

See this other link for other options of the 2008 adware

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-An antivirus ?
-What's that for ????

"This post was made on a Linux box"

;)