cost of having a baby

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
what is the cost of having a baby in the dominican republic with no insurance.My friend is having a kid in puerta plata and he has no insurance....

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
HE has no insurance?

Who cares? He can sell the rights and make a fortune.

Assuming HE is not having the child he will need to haggle with the doctor and get him to write down how much the entire procedure will cost and then when it is time to check out arrive very early and then argue, argue, argue, with the accounts department until they drop the price. By then he will probably be asked to pay less than $2000 US

Who is the doctor?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let the girl go by herself to the doctor, you will pay a lot less then if he knows a Gringo is involved.

I say less than $1,000, depending where she goes.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A cesarean at one of the cheaper but still good clinics in Santiago runs around RD22k. I paid 15k because my cunyada knew the doctor. A natural birth will run less. Also, if they are really strapped for cash there is free gov't. clinic right across from the stadium in Santiago.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So you don't think they might think it would be worth it to pay RD500 roundtrip to come to Santiago to do it for free?

It is more like 200rd RT to Santiago from PP on Caribe T.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Whatever.....

It is more like 200rd RT to Santiago from PP on Caribe T.

However much it costs I am sure the lady will be more than grateful for the journey when she is in labour!

However, I bow to weight of opinions!

;)

Rio

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
However much it costs I am sure the lady will be more than grateful for the journey when she is in labour!

However, I bow to weight of opinions!

;)

Rio

Caribe Tours has a policy of free fares for women in labor, so she can save a little more.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If she has the kid on the bus, how much does the driver charge for delivery? And is it then two fares to return home????

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I thought there was a public clinic in POP. The kind that sets 2 afternoons a week for the low on pesos mothers to come in and get the assembly line cesarean ( more like gutted ) procedure. Now those with cash can get the horizontal cesarean from a private clinic and i have seen a few that hardly show a scar. Some of these poor girls get their ab muscles butchered so no matter what they do they are left with a buddha belly.

To the OP, find a good clinic and have your boy pay the 2g if he loves his babies mama.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i had my son in santiago (i know, i know, they're in puerta plata!, but i'm a gringa and they didn't charge me an arm and a leg) in SEMMA which is a semi-private hospital for the public school teachers. my husbands a teacher so we didn't pay a dime (or peso) but my girlfriend (another gringa) is gonna have her baby there and the cotizacion they gave her for a natural birth was only 8,000 and for a c-section, i think 12.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Location....

OK - it seems to me that if the birth is pre-meditated (!) and they are opting for a caesarian - then Santiago is an option and certainly beneficial perhaps cost wise.
As a female and a mother - I would say that travelling to Santiago in labour for a natural birth is perhaps not the most comfortable, practical or safe way to go about things...
If the op can give details of what type of birth the parents are hoping for - the answers may be more fitting to the question?
Rio - from inside her box ;)
Keeping on keeping on.......