Legalize American Birth Certificate

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
In the course of trying to obtain provisional residency, I must legalize my American birth certificate. Well, I ran into a snag, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or possible help me out. Please don't tell me to get a lawyer and have them take care of it. I know I could do that, I want to know how to do this myself. Guzman, feel free to lend your advice.

After paying RD$620 at the Departmento de Relaciones Exterores, I turned in my receipt and Birth Certificate into the lady at the window. About 20 minutes later, they call me up. And she and her supervisor are questioning me on the US Consulate who signed my birth certificate. The US Consulates name is Mary. I assured her Mary was a US Consulate and her signature and stamp was all legit. She told me to sit back down and wait.

About 30 minutes later they called me back to the window. This time they mentioned that it was signed in 1961, and that was too long ago. I needed a more recent signature and stamp on my birth certificate and that I needed to go to the US Embassy to obtain one.

That sounded strange, but welcome to the DR right? So I then go to the American Embassy where I am told they only sign and stamp Dominican birth certificates, NOT American birth certificates. So there is my impasse.

I think what is happening is that most people have a normal birth certificate and get it stamped and signed by a US Consulate before they come here. I was born abroad, and had my birth certificate signed and stamped when I was born. When I showed up with my birth certificate signed and stamped by a US Consulate from over 40 years ago, they have never seen anything like that before. I'm sure they were calling the US Embassy asking to speak to Mary, and since no Mary was there, and it was singed by Mary in 1961, they didn't know how to process that.

Has anyone ran into this problem before? Any advice, or insight as to what to do next?

Thanks in advance!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no better answer short of hiring someone that "knows " the system. Either that or try giving a nice propina.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
What you need to do is have your birth certificate certified at the Dominican Consulate in your country of birth (since you mentioned you were born abroad). It's a fairly recent requirement.

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
Thanks guys and Mr Guzman for your help and insight. No quit exactly what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is right?

Before I moved down here I read everything on this board and did the best I could at bringing the correct and legal documents with me. In the USA, I was 1000 miles away from the closest Dominican Embassy, so there was no visit there. And again, everything I read here, and other places just said as long as I had my birth certificate I could get it legalized once I was here. Getting it translated into Spanish wasn't an issue. That was easy too!

What I wasn't prepared for was that concept of birth certificates expiring down here in the DR. I think windeguy hit the nail on the head with that one! Who would have guessed.

And Guzman, thanks for the advice. However, I was born in Germany and only lived there 3 weeks over 40 years ago. I trip back this isn't likely anytime soon either.

I hate to feel defeated, but I think it's about time to hire some legal consul. I may be contacting you soon Guzman, unless I can find another way around this one.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I'd love to hear the answer to this one

I'm in the exact same situation. Born in Germany in 1951, adopted by an American Military couple in 1952 and came to the US in 1954. My birth certificate is in German, under my birth name, which is different from my now legal (adopted name).

How in the earth would I be able to provide a certified birth certificate?

I can get the original translated into spanish, including the notations showing change of name and adoption. But getting certified in Germany would not be an option.

I want to apply for residency as a pensioner.

any help? anyone??

karlheinz

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
How to get your certificate if you were born overseas

Redonion and KarlHeinz,

I too was born in Germany after the war ... a military dependent. (The Wiesbaden hospital) Seems there's a crowd of us!!! :surprised:surprised:surprised

I do not think this thread has properly addressed the issue. please see my thread on Consular report of birth abroad of today.

see Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

You don't have to go back to Germany. The US Archives has the record of your birth in one of its several large documents centers, but it will take time for them to retrieve it if you do not already have previous copy to guide them.

PM me please.

richard

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Darn! I am amazed at how this wonderful board gets people together...

I do hope these folks get their papers all in order.

HB

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
jeez but i wish it were that simple. Problem is that I WAS NOT a military dependent at birth. I was a German Citizen (actually still am) at birth and adopted by American Military family almost a year later. So there will probably be no record in US files except for immigration entry at age 3 and a half as a dependent alien and Naturalization at age 4. I do have a copy of a file "Certified birth document" from when I first enlisted in the US Navy back in 1969 signed by the recruiter.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What you need to do is have your birth certificate certified at the Dominican Consulate in your country of birth (since you mentioned you were born abroad). It's a fairly recent requirement.
Where can you get a birth certificate translated and "Consularized" in the DR?

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
which is your donkey

Karl Heinz,

Yes yours is an unusual life story for sure. But as you say, you were naturalized as a US citizen at age 4, so the solution is still the same. As a US citizen, you must obtain a 'certificate of report of birth' from US Dept of State. You may obtain multiple copies for this and future use. You must provide the information requested at the webpage I provided under the post 'Consular report of birth abroad.' Go there and follow the instructions. Any further questions, call the State Dept at the phone number there. This is not complicated actually.

You do not need to return to Germany and go to the DR consulate there, if you are a US citizen.

P.S. I do not believe the US and Germany have a dual citizenship treaty, the way we (U.S.) do with some countries (Spain, Colombia, etc.) When you were naturalized a US citizen, it is my understanding that you (or your parents / legal guardians) renounced other citizenship. By virtue of our German birth, at our eighteenth birthday we had the opportunity to again elect German citizenship. I was sent a letter by the German embassy and I declined. If you are a German citizen now, then you had to take steps to affirm it at some point. And if there is / was no dual German - US citizenship (I could be wrong), then you could possibly be afoul of US law in this regard. It is true that the Feds have done very very little enforcement in this arena though. But in situations like this, you do have to decide which donkey you're riding.

richard

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Where can you get a birth certificate translated and "Consularized" in the DR?
Bumped to ask the question again:

Where can you get a birth certificate translated and "Consularized" in the DR for residency? I can do it in the states, but I'm in the DR.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bumped to ask the question again:

Where can you get a birth certificate translated and "Consularized" in the DR for residency? I can do it in the states, but I'm in the DR.

If you have a DR mailing address you can send it to a Dominican Consulate in the states with a SASE. There is a $70 USD fee for this service.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I do not think this thread has properly addressed the issue. please see my thread on Consular report of birth abroad of today.

see Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

richard

Thank you so much for this link - my son was born in the DR and this site was so helpful in finding out about the Report of Birth (DS-1350) that can be ordered in multiple copies and is acceptable for all legal purposes. Since he was born after 1990 we will be issued only one Counselor Report of Birth Abroad certificate (FS-240) so finding out about the DS-1350 is such a good thing, especially as we are continuing to live overseas and we need to have a copy of his birth certificate authenticated by the Dept. of State so he can get the paperwork to stay in Kuwait.

Thanks again for the link - it is super helpful.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Laws change or are being "fine tuned" constantly around here. Last I have seen with birth certificates was:

1. They asked for a recent copy of the birth certificate.
  2. For the birth certificate to be authenticated by the Dominican Consulate in the certificate issuing country (E. g: If you are a US-citizen, the Dominican Consulate in the US closest to the place issuing the certificate).
  3. The above consular authentication, authenticated again by the Cansilleria in Santo Domingo.

I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on these stupid birth certificates... they are a non identifying document as they have no pictures nor biometric information. Well, maybe because until not so long ago US-citizens could re-enter their country only showing a birth certificate (which was unbelievable for above reasons).

... J-D.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Laws change or are being "fine tuned" constantly around here. Last I have seen with birth certificates was:

1. They asked for a recent copy of the birth certificate.
  2. For the birth certificate to be authenticated by the Dominican Consulate in the certificate issuing country (E. g: If you are a US-citizen, the Dominican Consulate in the US closest to the place issuing the certificate).
  3. The above consular authentication, authenticated again by the Cansilleria in Santo Domingo.

I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on these stupid birth certificates... they are a non identifying document as they have no pictures nor biometric information. Well, maybe because until not so long ago US-citizens could re-enter their country only showing a birth certificate (which was unbelievable for above reasons).

... J-D.
So even if me and my recent, official birth certificate is in the DR, I have to ship it BACK to the US for a Dominican Consulate there to authenticate it?

Weird.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So even if me and my recent, official birth certificate is in the DR, I have to ship it BACK to the US for a Dominican Consulate there to authenticate it?

Weird.

This is no longer the case as having been told by a lawyer at the official Santiago Migracion office about a month ago. In other words it can all be done in the DR now like it used to be.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is no longer the case as having been told by a lawyer at the official Santiago Migracion office about a month ago. In other words it can all be done in the DR now like it used to be.
So no need to have it translated/authenticated?

What do I do with it?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So no need to have it translated/authenticated?

What do I do with it?

The document needs to be translated by a certfied translator and then legalized.

My understanding is that any certified translator can do it but as far as the legalization I'm not sure if any lawyer can do it or the Migracion office needs to do it - best bet is to call them and ask, they are super helpful and not really that busy at all.

Also, I am resending you an email with all the contact info of a translator and lawyer that charge economical prices and are trustworthy.

I would not have any problem calling the Migracion office myself but I'm sure they would rather speak to Alida as her Spanish is much prettier than mine. :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As I said the laws and authentication requirements change constantly and may thus again have changed.

Yet, it is my understanding that lawyers can not legalize... they only can have it legalized for their client by the authorities.
The only ones who can legalize (authenticate) official documents are consulates, Cansilleria [sp?] and State departments.

... J-D.