Chinese consulate

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
I am an American living in the DR (legally) and want to travel to China this summer. I have heard that there is a Chinese consulate office in the capital (Santo Domingo) that will issue Visas to China for Dominicans and Americans.

Does anyone know the phone number of the consulate so that IO can call them before I make the 4-hour trip to the capital?

Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would double-check this, as it probably refers to Taiwan, not mainland China. The DR doesn't have diplomatic relations with the Peoples Republic of China. The nearest consulates would be in Havana, Kingston or Caracas.
Latin America

From last week's DR1 news:
DR and relations with China
The absence of diplomatic relations with China is making it difficult for the DR to take advantage of the size, strength and diversity of the Chinese economy. According to a report in the Listin Diario, it's like turning your back on the most diverse and fastest growing economy in the world. Listin writes that in 2007, even without an agreement between both nations, trade totaled US$600 million and grew by 23% compared to 2006. Standing in the way of a free trade agreement between China and the DR are the strong relations between the DR and Taiwan. While most Latin American nations have broken off relations with Taiwan and chosen to deal with China, the DR has continued to rely on Taiwan and in the short term has benefited from its relationship with the smaller Asian nation. However, Listin cites sources that say that what's holding back Chinese investment in the DR is a trade agreement. The DR has yet to confirm its participation in the 2010 Shanghai Expo during which China expects 70 million people to visit China and expects 400,000 to attend. Of the 172 nations participating, 10 don't have formal relations with China, which is not making this a requirement for attendance. Listin reports that China has set aside US$650,000 for the DR and El Salvador's stands during the expo.