Electrical appliances, please help me understand!

Charlotte501

Jan 26, 2008
Hi All

I will be coming to the Dominican next week from the UK and would just like some advice.

Do I need to obtain a voltage convertor for applicances such as hairdryer, Ipod speakers etc.

If so can anyone tell me what I'm looking for? I don't want to risk blowing things up!

Thanks in advance

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Learn that the name of the place is the Dominican REPUBLIC. There is no such place a the Dominican. There is the Dominican that plays baseball, Alex Rodriguez. There is the Dominican that makes my grand children's hot dogs in the Park, Ricardo Cruz.
I suppose you live in the UNITED, right>???? Or is it Great....???

CITATION: violation of basic grammar.

Fine: Sunburn for 1/2 hour

HB, undercover member of the Grammar Police!!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Learn that the name of the place is the Dominican REPUBLIC. There is no such place a the Dominican. There is the Dominican that plays baseball, Alex Rodriguez. There is the Dominican that makes my grand children's hot dogs in the Park, Ricardo Cruz.

Undercover??? You are as undercover as the Feds coming in with black Chevy Suburbans and little whirly white cable coming from their right ear.
:D

... J-D.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Charlotte501
Pop along to your local Tandy (or whatever the high street electrical chain is now called) & pick up a 240 - 110 volt converter, You will also need to make sure that it has a two pin plud fitted (not the standard 3 pin as used in the UK), Some converters have the facility to put the standard UK 3 pin socket into them & then that converter has a lead to the wall plug with the appropriate 2 pin flat plug used in the US of A & Latin America. I got some off e-Bay last August but I don't think you have time for that now.

Whilst I agree with you HB, I must in the good lady's defense & mention that she has probably seen the Wydham Hotel advert on DR1 & is taking her cue from there. If I read it right it says ........ "Beat the cold in the Dominican". :eek:gre::chinese::surprised Annoys the H*ll out of me every time I see it!!

Hope we can get that changed soon!! ~ Grahame.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi All

I will be coming to the Dominican next week from the UK and would just like some advice.

Do I need to obtain a voltage convertor for applicances such as hairdryer, Ipod speakers etc.

If so can anyone tell me what I'm looking for? I don't want to risk blowing things up!

Thanks in advance

Charlotte,

Step up/step down convertors are cheaply available for under a tenner as bushbaby has said - the cheap ones are not designed for anything with a motor - hairdryer, straighteners etc will blow.... they are good for speakers or a radio, phone charger etc. You will need a convertor and an adaptor to plug into the other side - it all adds up. :ermm:
A more powerful one will set you back more than the cost of buying a dual voltage hairdryer ( of which you should perhaps already have one in the hotel room).
Make sure you read the manufacturers notes before you buy that the one you are buying is OK for the appliances that you wish to use it for....
Rio