I wish I could wait until IKEA opens but unfortunately...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I need to buy a decent, modernish but not bank-breaking living room set - sofa and armchairs. Preferably in the RD$25k range. Has anyone found decent deals in places like Conforama, Sirena, Plaza Lama, etc? Any other suggestions?

I'm especially curious about Conforama because the designs are exactly what I'm after but I'm not convinced about the quality. Any tips?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Adames 30 de Marzo #38 Santiago
809-581-0097

If you cannot find it here, I doubt you will find it anywhere. Three gigantic showroom floors of furniture. All prices.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I looked at Adames and didn't find anything modern with clean lines. The furniture was quite elaborate and busy.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks, but I need to buy it in Santo Domingo. "Elaborate and busy" is precisely what I want to avoid.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why don't you contact a local ebanista and have them make it for you from a design out of a catalog or something. It can usually be done in a couple of months. The only issue might be the fact that the locals will typically form the legs, etc with larger diameters. I had a simple yet elegant design done for me (my own) and it turned out quite nice, and sturdy.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good tip, Chip! We've done that for other furniture with good results, but in this instance I need an quick'n'easy solution.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe my destiny lies in Santiago and I should stop fighting it? :)

Actually, we have an Hache in Santo Domingo - I will have a look although I fear it will be too expensive. Both Hache and Ilumel sell beautiful modern furniture, but I was hoping to find something in one of the cheaper stores.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I like Plaza Lama, last time I went they had some nice furniture and prices were not bad. You won't find much in La Sirena. Hache's furniture looks more like something you would find in an office...boring stuff

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Maybe my destiny lies in Santiago and I should stop fighting it? :)

Actually, we have an Hache in Santo Domingo - I will have a look although I fear it will be too expensive. Both Hache and Ilumel sell beautiful modern furniture, but I was hoping to find something in one of the cheaper stores.

Ilumel is almost opening in PC. It might be worth it to save a bit of space in the moving van and buy it down here... personally I've never been in Ilumel so I couldn't say anything about choice or price but it could be an option. Maybe you could check out the one in SD, see if there's anything that matches up with what you're looking for. When's the big move?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Today we're going to look at Plaza Lama, La Sirena and Conforama, and a factory recommended by a relative.

This is for our tenants in the apartment in SD, we already have the furniture for PC (from Ilumel, as it happens).

Moving on or before Aug 1st! :)

KateP, when is the Jumbo opening? Have they even started building it yet?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ah! Now I understand why you're buying in SD...lol The building that's right next to Ilumel is Cerarte and they were putting the windows up during the weekend. Apparently Jumbo will be constructed behind Ilumel but with the change in administration in Jumbo, they're a bit behind. But I was assured that they will be going on with the construction soon.

When's your first party planned for in your new place? :cheeky:

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
I'd choose Conforama if I were you. They have very simple lines, not too busy.
3 of my friends are clients of this place and when I mentioned buying some furniture in the near future that's the place they mentioned I should go to.

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
I'd choose Conforama if I were you. They have very simple lines, not too busy.
3 of my friends are clients of this place and when I mentioned buying some furniture in the near future that's the place they mentioned I should go to.

Yes true! but they are a little high in price. We shopped there and bought a nice king size bed with a 20 inch TV using my wifes moms credit and it all came out to be 23,000. but this was last year when I was doing okay money wise and we did get a great deal! but there furniture is kinda of pricey. check plaza lama and serina as well, not the best place because they have a small selection, but at least they have good prices and they do stock some nice modern stuff.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks! I ended up doing the rounds this morning.

I saw a 3 + 2 seater sofa set I liked in Conforama, which is a strong possibility.

Everything at La Sirena was hideous, without exception.

Ilumel is wonderful but although there were some good reductions to be had, the ones we liked were still too expensive.

Didn't make it to Plaza Lama.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Decidido! Off to Conforama this morning to make the purchase.
Thanks for all the advice.

Christobal

Nov 28, 2006
www.allaffair.com
Was that a joke or are they really opening a ikea in the dr? I have no problem bringing in items for the house on the plane since they package their furniture so small. That would be great. The customs people at the airport ask what's in the box and I just say para mi casa and they say ok. Its great! in Jamaica they would tear the box open and bring out some guide value book, and you are in for a ride.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, not a joke: IKEA's Santo Domingo branch is under construction on Kennedy esq. Lincoln and is due to open in early 2009.