Cashews

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have a couple of healthy cashew trees on the Camp Moto property in Jarabacoa, producing this:

Fruit.jpg

How do you process the nut?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know the whole process, but we used to see them lay them out in the road, on the asphalt in the sun, so I presume there is some drying/roasting process.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
You throw them on some hot coals like in a charcoal grill or campfire and roll them around a bit. Only do a few at a time. Then you wait until they are hot enough, and they will spew a hot stream of smoke as they crack open, then roll a bit longer to toast and pick them out of the coals, cool a bit and smash with a rock to get to the inner shell. Then, crack the inner shell and enjoy!

If you have ever made smpcid apples, you get a similar product with the "cashew apple". You kind of stew them with water, sugar and a little cinnamon. Delicious.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) The fruit you can eat, sorta like apples.
2) the nuts have to be peeled, then roasted on an iron plate...

Problem is the nut is kinda poisonous, at least the outer portion. I have heard that it can be used to remove tattoos.

Have Alida ask a local how to do this. Or one of the ladies that sell nuts on the highway to Santo Domingo.

Did Alida tell you i found IAMS??

HB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The smoke contains cyanide, which makes it hazardous. This is the reason the nuts are first roasted.