where to get a proper fridge?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me start from a whine only a woman will understand. what the hell is wrong with fridges in this country? they all have fridge down and freezer up which makes no sense to anyone having to use it several times a day. a macho can send his woman to get presidente out of the fridge for him so he never notices, i guess.
i am looking for a fridge with opposite setup: fridge up and freezer down, not american style, just a normal fridge.
anyone has seen such appliance on sale in POP or santiago? where?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
let me start from a whine only a woman will understand. what the hell is wrong with fridges in this country? they all have fridge down and freezer up which makes no sense to anyone having to use it several times a day. a macho can send his woman to get presidente out of the fridge for him so he never notices, i guess.
i am looking for a fridge with opposite setup: fridge up and freezer down, not american style, just a normal fridge.
What does "not American style" mean?

A

apostropheman

like this? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
elec_fridge_botmnt_EBM4300SB.jpg

no, unfortunately I do not know where to get one in the DR :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, exactly, just like the one above! most popular model in europe, i have never seen one here, thou. not even in people's houses.
"american style" fridge is the one with double door, just like a small wardrobe.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
yes, exactly, just like the one above! most popular model in europe, i have never seen one here, thou. not even in people's houses.
"american style" fridge is the one with double door, just like a small wardrobe.
I'll keep an eye out for one, the next time I'm in Santiago.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have seen one in Santiago. There is a shop at the lower end of 16 Agosto that sells second hand imported appliances from the US. Some are like new and some have a few miles on them.

I picked up a 5' GE fridge for 9000 pesos. They don't deliver though, but they'll arrange for a taxi/pick-up for you if you wish.

Can't say I was too enamoured with the guy who runs the place. Big grumpy gruff Dominican, but my girlfriend and her mother did the negotiation. I just hid around the corner and paid! Gringos will get ripped off there so be prepared.

However they did have the fridge you are looking for. Fridge on top, freezer on bottom. The freezer part was actually a drawer type and seemed like a better design than european styles.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have seen one in Santiago. There is a shop at the lower end of 16 Agosto that sells second hand imported appliances from the US. Some are like new and some have a few miles on them.

I picked up a 5' GE fridge for 9000 pesos. They don't deliver though, but they'll arrange for a taxi/pick-up for you if you wish.

Can't say I was too enamoured with the guy who runs the place. Big grumpy gruff Dominican, but my girlfriend and her mother did the negotiation. I just hid around the corner and paid! Gringos will get ripped off there so be prepared.

However they did have the fridge you are looking for. Fridge on top, freezer on bottom. The freezer part was actually a drawer type and seemed like a better design than european styles.
Wow.
Ask and you shall receive.

What do you think, dv8?
Would a used one do the trick, or do you want new?

james

Jan 14, 2002
Plaza Lama in Santiago has that type of refrigerator. Made by LG. Friends bought one two weeks ago and I was there at the time.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
There is a place in Santiago call Molina. Is located in la Avenida las Argentina near the Jade Chinese restaurant. They have standard and upscale american style appliances. I don't remember the phone number, but try calling before you go there.
Good Luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'd rather take a good used fridge than crappy new fridge, for sure! santiago sounds good, we have a big jeepeta and dad has toyota hilux so transport would not be a problem.
miesposo used to live in santiago so he will find all those places no problem, he is also dominican and a man so i'll have him do the paying :)
thank you for all help!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i'd rather take a good used fridge than crappy new fridge, for sure! santiago sounds good, we have a big jeepeta and dad has toyota hilux so transport would not be a problem.
miesposo used to live in santiago so he will find all those places no problem, he is also dominican and a man so i'll have him do the paying :)
thank you for all help!
Bear in mind, that if you have to lie it down in transport, you should leave it standing for half a day or so, before plugging it in, for the oils to settle back into place.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Very common in Canada

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That style is called a "side by side", the one in the pic is called a "bottom mount", referring to the freezer position. They tried the bottom mount in the 60's but people passed on it for some strange reason. Now it's back and it will stay, knowing it is more practical and is more energy efficient than the top mount freezer because the freezer is closer to the ground where it is cooler.
There is also the bottom mount freezer with the side by side doors atop.
Less bending over.
Smart!
Modern appliances are so efficient and well insulated it doesn't make any difference any more.

A

apostropheman

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa...or should we call you Kreskin? :D:bunny::bunny:
That style is called a "side by side", the one in the pic is called a "bottom mount", referring to the freezer position. They tried the bottom mount in the 60's but people passed on it for some strange reason. Now it's back and it will stay, knowing it is more practical and is more energy efficient than the top mount freezer because the freezer is closer to the ground where it is cooler.
There is also the bottom mount freezer with the side by side doors atop.
Less bending over.
Smart!
What nonsense! CB nailed it AND there likely isn't that much temperature differential in a few feet from the ground to make a difference
Modern appliances are so efficient and well insulated it doesn't make any difference any more.

DV8 has the right idea...convenience! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

A

apostropheman

YOU WIN!;)

You're right, I'm short....but unlike you I'm not a TROLL :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
What are you 'trying' to say?
Nonsense?
In what way?
I can understand why you would prefer the older top mount style, being so short.
Of course you WRONG about the rest but that's ok. Keep enlightening us about you incredible ignorance :D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What are you 'trying' to say?
Nonsense?
In what way?
I can understand why you would prefer the older top mount style, being so short.
Geez.
You sure have a nasty streak in you.
Heat rises, cold falls, thus the reasoning of having the freezer up high, so that the cold could just drop down to the rest of the fridge by the laws of physics.
As CB pointed out, modern fridges are very efficient and well insulated, so a bottom mount freezer could still work well without consuming any notable extra amount of power.
So what was being pointed out to you was that freezers were not mounted on the bottom for efficiency because of cold floors.
That was the part that was deemed nonsense, and it is.
Ideally, the freezer would be at the top, for the best efficiency.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good thing about electricity issues is that a fridge will have plenty of time to rest before i can plug it in... :)
and yes, for me it's all about convenience. shame thou that electric appliances are so pricey here and comparatively so cheap in poland...