Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Republic named world's dodgiest holiday destination

The Poms are whingeing again...

Dominican Republic named world's dodgiest holiday destination - Sunday Mirror

Top of the list of dodgy destinations is the Dominican Republic, visited by more than 200,000 Britons last year. It is marketed as a dream destination for honeymooning couples.

Yet legal firm Irwin Mitchell are investigating more than 1,000 complaints about one hotel alone.

Holidaymakers who stayed at the Bahia Principe Hotel in the resort of San Juan were struck down with gastric trouble last August.

Guests complained about cockroaches in the restaurant and food that was poorly cooked and served lukewarm.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Horror

I was given chicklets instead of five pesos change owed me in a colmado.

Alert the Guardian and the Daily Mail (that ought to cover it).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

And the Sunday Mirror, famed for dispassionate, independent scholastic investigation seemingly fails to note that Thomas Cook have already admitted liability & will pay damages
    Thomas Cook admits liability over Dominican Republic illness outbreak

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dodgiest?

Thanks for the warning, Sunday Mirror. Guess I┤ll change my plans and stay at the Baghdad Hilton instead.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The UK is getting as litigious as the USA...
    C'mon... bad hygienic condictions...phe... these people don't know what they are talking about. I have never ever stayed at a resort in the DR (Bavaro, POP, Bayahibe, SDQ hotels) where I would feel "azco" of anything ... And for my staying in a resort at least once a month on the average, AND visiting at least 2 more times per month (out of my tourism related job, eating and drinking there, using public restrooms, etc.) I should be statistically more prone to catch some $hyte....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry BUT if 450 people in 1 resort travelling with 1 tour operator fall ill then there is a problem. It appears that the tour company involved has taken responsibility and things should be resolved.
    As far as POMS whingeing is concerned, if anybody on here had paid 1000's to go on holiday to have it ruined by some sort of gastric condition THEN I bet you would moan!!!!!
    BTW I shall be at the Gran Ventana tomorrow so it aint stopping me!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe there is a disproportionate number of incidents due to the outbreak that occurred a while back at The Bahia Principe.

There's probably a bit of exaggeration, but even if it hurts me as a Dominican, I'm not going to defend it. We have to step up our game if we are to compete on this very competitive industry (tourism). This is one reason why I believe The DR sorely needs to diversify its economy way more than it is. We should not depend so much on tourism as it is such a fickle industry which is affected by any little thing.

Tourist towns and surrounding areas should be squeaky clean and organized (if they can enforce the ban on alcohol nationwide they can certainly do this in just a few areas). Resorts should be inspected periodically (surprise inspections) to make sure they are keeping up to standards, etc.

John Evans

didnt you know British people die if they come into contact with a microbe these days-we have cleaning products to eliminate all these things- how do you turn a tap off after washing your hands by the way

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

how do you turn a tap off after washing your hands by the way

Elbows and knees, please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast