Dominican Republic named world's dodgiest holiday destination

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Poms are whingeing again...

Dominican Republic named world's dodgiest holiday destination - Sunday Mirror

Top of the list of dodgy destinations is the Dominican Republic, visited by more than 200,000 Britons last year. It is marketed as a dream destination for honeymooning couples.

Yet legal firm Irwin Mitchell are investigating more than 1,000 complaints about one hotel alone.

Holidaymakers who stayed at the Bahia Principe Hotel in the resort of San Juan were struck down with gastric trouble last August.

Guests complained about cockroaches in the restaurant and food that was poorly cooked and served lukewarm.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The Horror

I was given chicklets instead of five pesos change owed me in a colmado.

Alert the Guardian and the Daily Mail (that ought to cover it). :tired:

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Dodgiest?

Thanks for the warning, Sunday Mirror. Guess I?ll change my plans and stay at the Baghdad Hilton instead.

Feb 7, 2007
The UK is getting as litigious as the USA...
C'mon... bad hygienic condictions...phe... these people don't know what they are talking about. I have never ever stayed at a resort in the DR (Bavaro, POP, Bayahibe, SDQ hotels) where I would feel "azco" of anything ... And for my staying in a resort at least once a month on the average, AND visiting at least 2 more times per month (out of my tourism related job, eating and drinking there, using public restrooms, etc.) I should be statistically more prone to catch some $hyte....

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
I am sorry BUT if 450 people in 1 resort travelling with 1 tour operator fall ill then there is a problem. It appears that the tour company involved has taken responsibility and things should be resolved.
As far as POMS whingeing is concerned, if anybody on here had paid 1000's to go on holiday to have it ruined by some sort of gastric condition THEN I bet you would moan!!!!!
BTW I shall be at the Gran Ventana tomorrow so it aint stopping me!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I believe there is a disproportionate number of incidents due to the outbreak that occurred a while back at The Bahia Principe.

There's probably a bit of exaggeration, but even if it hurts me as a Dominican, I'm not going to defend it. We have to step up our game if we are to compete on this very competitive industry (tourism). This is one reason why I believe The DR sorely needs to diversify its economy way more than it is. We should not depend so much on tourism as it is such a fickle industry which is affected by any little thing.

Tourist towns and surrounding areas should be squeaky clean and organized (if they can enforce the ban on alcohol nationwide they can certainly do this in just a few areas). Resorts should be inspected periodically (surprise inspections) to make sure they are keeping up to standards, etc.

J

John Evans

didnt you know British people die if they come into contact with a microbe these days-we have cleaning products to eliminate all these things- how do you turn a tap off after washing your hands by the way

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
This is definately not an accurate portrayal of things. Yes there was one major outbreak at the Bahia Principe for which the Tour Operator has agreed to compensate clients - as they should. But I will guarantee this will be recovered from the hotel! It is how they work.

And the British system lends itself to clients moaning and bitching looking for a refund or break on their next trip! If you compare numbers you don't find anywhere near the same number of complaints (proportionally) from Canadians, Americans, Germans, Italians etc. They also come to the hotels, eat the same food etc. Sure some complain and have issues but not anywhere near the same numbers. Just ask the reps in the hotels!

I agree with Suarezn this country needs to step up its game to remain competitive! In a time where every single advantage is needed this country is behind the times!

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
I don't believe some of these comments!!!!
As a race we British are only just waking up to the fact that we can complain when things are not right, and not just on holiday, and not just in the DR!
It used to be "oh you're British it will do". Well not anymore and if that upsets a few North American sensibilities then so be it.
And if simple hygene such as washing hands is beyond some posters well I despair

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hmmm you seem offended, I dont' think anyone intended that. No one should have to put up with bad food, bad service or being sick when it is preventable.

As with many things - there are always those who will abuse the system. It appears the system is such that many are abusing it. For those who have legitimate complaints - well they should be compensated! And the system has to evolve such that it is fair to everyone.

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Yeah last minute packing (flying tomorrow) have i got this and have I done that ...well just decided if it isn't done now FORGET IT.
I love the DR and when I see reports about a specific outbreak it irkes me when they generalise. Same goes for the British. Like all nationalities there are people I hate to be associated with so Do Not Generalise.
Anyroad be there tomorrow basking in the sun and having a Brugal or three.
Now Breath lol

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The UK is getting as litigious as the USA...
C'mon... bad hygienic condictions...phe... these people don't know what they are talking about. I have never ever stayed at a resort in the DR (Bavaro, POP, Bayahibe, SDQ hotels) where I would feel "azco" of anything ... And for my staying in a resort at least once a month on the average, AND visiting at least 2 more times per month (out of my tourism related job, eating and drinking there, using public restrooms, etc.) I should be statistically more prone to catch some $hyte....

Hmmm, one thing you got to think about is that your (and my) stomach is different than a "tourist stomach" because we live here... We are half-dominicans and can handle bacterias etc. that a tourist stomach can?t.

Mar 2, 2008
Ray,
North American sensitivities? We have no sensitivities! One needs sense to have have sensitivities.

If we in the colonies had any bit of sense we never would have left the Commonwealth.

Now just look at the fix we're in.

I'll tell you what, if you're up around Sosua at any time during your visit I'll buy you a beer and a Brugal (or three) just to show there are no hard feelings.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Hmmm, one thing you got to think about is that your (and my) stomach is different than a "tourist stomach" because we live here... We are half-dominicans and can handle bacterias etc. that a tourist stomach can?t.

Nope...not buyin it...I have traveled to many foreign lands and never been sick! i think perhaps the people that fall ill, are the ones that have many toxins built up form their own food from their own Countries.

so perhaps a good detox is in order prior to take off??:ermm:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Food poisoning or..........

Can speak as both a Brit and someone with a bit of inside knowledge.......

Leaving the Bahia outbreak aside - I think that is a seperate issue - a lot of UK tourists complain of "dodgy tummies" when it is in fact too much sun, too much alchohol and general excess of all the delights of all inclusive! Especially first timers - hence the "Been once, Never again" attitude - we hear a lot here.

Yes there are Brits who like to "try it on" and make claims on their holiday insurance but there are also problems with hotels from time to time. A problem at the Rius a couple of years back springs to mind when guests were still being sent to the Merengue and its sister hotels while there was obviously a "problem" there. A fault of the British tour operator - adding fuel to the fire. These are the sort of problems that need to be addressed if the reputation of the Dom Rep as a safe holiday destination is to be upheld.

Throw enough s**t and it does tend to stick I am afraid.

Rio

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Hey PM me your contact details and you are on:cheeky:
Regards
Ray

Ray,
North American sensitivities? We have no sensitivities! One needs sense to have have sensitivities.

If we in the colonies had any bit of sense we never would have left the Commonwealth.

Now just look at the fix we're in.

I'll tell you what, if you're up around Sosua at any time during your visit I'll buy you a beer and a Brugal (or three) just to show there are no hard feelings.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
when it is in fact too much sun, too much alchohol and general excess of all the delights of all inclusive!
considering nightlife in my Northern town, I think you could be right.... British drinking culture, tabloid reporting, and health & safety paranoia... what a great combination.