A few pics - Santiago

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
One advantage of staying at the Aloha Sol is that it's pretty central. Yesterday, I took a walk from the hotel to see the Monumento:

MoumentoAlosHeroesdelaRestauracion.jpg

Across the street is the restaurant Montezuma:

MontezumaRestaurant-Santiago.jpg

This is the Ave Francia in front of the Monumento:

AveFrancia-Santiago.jpg

Walking in the other direction along Del Sol I stopped off in Parque Duarte where I met this guy who spoke a little English. With his limited English and my limited Spanish, we actually carried on a conversation! When he found out I was from Canada, he told me he wanted to visit there and asked if I could help him with a visa. Unfortunately, I had to explain that it is very difficult for Dominicans to get a visa to Canada.

ShoeshineBoys_2-ParqueDuarte-Santia.jpg

When this guy left, I was approached by one of the many shoeshine boys and even though I was wearing running shoes this did not deter him since he even had materials for cleaning them. He was joined by two of his friends and when he'd finished I gave him all the loose change I had (about 150 pesos) and I was surprised to see that he shared this with his two friends. I asked if I could take their picture and they happily agreed:

ShoeshineBoys-ParqueDuarte-Santiago.jpg

After leaving the park, I came across this beautiful mural on one of the walls there:

MuralDelSol-Santiago.jpg

About the Aloha Sol - this hotel is well situated, the rooms are half-decent, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful and breakfast is included.

Robin

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Nice Photos

Very nice pics yelkcub. Did you climb the stairs to the monument? Aloha Sol is a nice hotel and like you mentioned it is centrally located. I just wish they would improve the breakfast buffet.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Nice pictures Yelkcub, I love Santiago, i was born and raised there, i now live in Atlanta,Ga i'm looking forward to go back and visit. Definitely the best city in the DR to live and raise a family.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The picture of the restaurant is not of mantezuma but of Kukaramakara restaurant.
AZB

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Great Pics

Very nice pics!!! I have stayed at the Aloha Sol about a half dozen times. I agree it is perfect if you want to be centrally located, and the staff is very helpful there. The pics brought back memories of visiting Santiago. I often went with a friend, his fiance lived there prior to coming the US, and I would go off on my own a lot and always enjoyed myself.