desmadrugada

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
What is the translation for this? Its a telenovela and I can't find the definition
in my dictionary or RAE. I know madrugada means early morning... between midnight and sunrise.

Thanks

Steve

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
What is the translation for this? Its a telenovela and I can't find the definition
in my dictionary or RAE. I know madrugada means early morning... between midnight and sunrise.

Thanks

Steve

Are you sure it's desmadrugada ?? Could it be ''de madrugada'' which means at dawn

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
never heard that word have only heard 'De Madrugada' which means 'in the morning'.

Are you sure you have the right word?

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Thanks

Steve

You might have not heard correctly.

Do you know where this telenovela was filmed?

Last edited:

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
The Spanish prefix "des"

The Spanish prefix des denotes opposition, negation.
Just to mention a few verbs with such a prefix:

desabrido (without flavor)
desayunar ( to have breakfast)
desarmar (to deprive of a weapon/s)
descongelar (to thaw)

That prefix has not been applied to verb madrugar.

But if one wishes to violate the rule, then verb desmadrugar would mean not in the very early morning hours. (It can also be said sarcastically.)

Here is another point to consider: Since the "s" sound is often omitted, many individuals, in their effort to sound proper, will place it even where it does not belong. (Although I don't think this will happen in a telenovela.)

(As others have already indicated, one says de madrugada.

If the OP heard a noun madrugada(not a verb), then it could have been dos madrugadas (two times in the very early morning hours.)

Norma

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Okey, so if the prefix des as in desayunar (which actually means 'break fast'),
at least in English, would desmadrugada mean the "break of dawn?" Or "daybreak?"
Just a thought.
mkohn

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The word desmadrugada is incorrect. Spanish is my native lenguage I have a high school echucation. the correct is " de madrugada " that means early morning, before the sunraise.

Desabrido (without flavor) is no a verb is an adjective "des'' is no a prefix.

In those verbs "Des" is a prefix.

descongelar (to thaw)

JJ.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
S?lo para 'desmadrugados'

I have never heard of the word however, it seems to be part of the Mexican vernacular. I have mentioned in many posts that there is an abundance of words used in Spanish especially in the colloquial day to to day that are yet to be officially approved by the RAE. This word and its variations as a noun, verb and adjective might be on that long waiting list for approval by the RAE. However, if you purchase a dictionary of Mexicanisms it may be registered.

I found a telenovela link from Mexico that explains the meaning of the word. It makes sense once explained what they are trying to convey by using the word.

Here is the explanation from the link:

"Es un programa que est? dise?ado para pasar un d?a el cual el p?blico no tenga que despertarse temprano al siguiente d?a y se pueda desmadrugar con nosotros", concluy?.

-LDG.

Feb 7, 2007
I did a search and I cannot find any novela that would have a name "Desmadrugada" but there is a program of this name on mexican Televisa.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Desmadrugar no significa trasnochar-

In my opinion desmadrugar means 'no tan temprano' based on the explanation provided in the link for the meaning of desmadrugados. Norma's suggested definition fits the meaning of the link but with no sarcasm.

Compare the definitions-

madrugar-
intr. Levantarse al amanecer o muy temprano.

trasnochar-
intr. Pasar uno la noche, o gran parte de ella, sin dormir: ma?ana llegar? tarde porque hoy voy a trasnochar.

source: elmundo.es

-LDG.

Oh! like trasnochar. Ok. So it is a mexicanismo then... got it.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Thanks Lesley. Desmadrugados was the word. I was searching in vain for the telenovela desmadrugada. I knew I saw the word on univision.

If one googles desmadrugada, many hits are returned and most seem to use the word to mean "not so early in the morning". As said, probably vernacular.

Steve

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
The word desmadrugada is incorrect. Spanish is my native lenguage I have a high school echucation. the correct is " de madrugada " that means early morning, before the sunraise.

Desabrido (without flavor) is no a verb is an adjective "des'' is no a prefix.

In those verbs "Des" is a prefix.

descongelar (to thaw)

JJ.

Yes, desabrido is an adjective. (It was an oversight, thanks.)The prefix "des" does not appear only in verbs. It is difficult to see it as such in "desabrido", however, this adjective derives from "desaborido" (not in use today) which clearly shows the word "sabor" (flavor). Notice the definition given by RAE of this prefix; also notice that it contains adjectives and verbs:

des-.

(Confluencia de los prefs. lats. de-, ex-, dis- y a veces e-).

1. pref. Denota negaci?n o inversi?n del significado del simple. Desconfiar, deshacer.

2. pref. Indica privaci?n. Desabejar.

3. pref. Indica exceso o demas?a. Deslenguado.

4. pref. Significa 'fuera de'. Descamino, deshora.

5. pref. A veces indica afirmaci?n. Despavorido.
Real Academia Espa?ola ? Todos los derechos reservados

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Thanks Lesley. Desmadrugados was the word. I was searching in vain for the telenovela desmadrugada. I knew I saw the word on univision.

If one googles desmadrugada, many hits are returned and most seem to use the word to mean "not so early in the morning". As said, probably vernacular.

Steve

That is the big problem I have now here in North Carolina, my coworkers are mexicans and is very hard for me to understand those guys. some time I prefer they speak in English to me.
I reserch the word " desmadrugada '' it is incorrect. Does not exist.
I can understand perfect the mexican news reporters on TV and the radio station but those people that have no academy echucation they speak like a dialect it is no spanish.

JJ.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Steve-

The fact that the word is not in the RAE does not indicate that it's not an official word or strictly of colloquial or vernacular usage. You have to keep in mind it takes years to approve a word and the RAE does not release a new edition of their dictionary every year although new words are approved yearly. Therefore, a word may be approved and is official but may not appear in the dictionary until the new edition is released years later. However, I don't know if the online edition is more up to date or if it's updated periodically to reflect new approved vocabulary.

You mentioned Univisi?n which is the largest and longest standing Spanish language television network in the USA. Keep in mind it's totally run by Mexicans with very little focus on the rest of Latin America. The telenovelas are Mexican and so is most of their other programming. As a result, Mexican colloquialisms are inevitable but IMO; it does not impede understanding or communication. In fact, their programs are quite good with clear Spanish ranging from El noticiero to Plaza s?samo (Sesame Street). This holds true for Telefutura (la cadena hermana de Univisi?n) as well. Los deportes on Univision is not vernacular Mexican Spanish either; it's quite clear cut and generic. I watch Univisi?n daily, mostly the news but some other programs too and the level of Spanish is quite evident as it?s geared towards a diverse Spanish-speaking audience. Learning these local words is just another dimension in language acquisition. I am in a continuous learning mode in three languages daily. It never fails. Es imposible saber todo. See this as a bonus and an opportunity to broaden your linguistic horizons. As you research you learn too.

I have never had difficulty understanding Mexicans but all Mexicans I have met come from large cities such as D.F (Distrito Federal) or Guadalajara. That makes a big difference when comparing speech patterns and dialectal forms within Mexico. It is a big country with eight dialectal zones at least (dialectal zones meaning regional speech varieties). There are many more variations of Spanish, speech patterns in the same country as compared to the DR. Therefore, it's not logical to categorize Mexicans speech patterns all in the same realm.

Although I know this word now, I won't start using it simply because it is foreign to me and not standard vocabulary in Spanish. However, if one were to discuss colloquialisms in Spanish this one is very easy to see how it derived. A normal word building formula in Spanish is prefix + verb (des + madrugar).

-LDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.