My level isn't level..............

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
..........and I am hoping that it has something to do with it being in Puerto Plata, so that it can be DR related since I can't find anything on it on Google.............

My Level isn't level................and besides the fact that I can just go out and get a new one..............I'd like to know why?????

Is it the DR???? I bought it in Santiago (there you go, DR Related!).........

I have tried to find out WHY on google etc and can't...........

How can a level (brand new) NOT BE LEVEL?????? It is off by I would say about 10 degrees............it's a regular level with a glass tube with water in it........EVERYTHING ABOUT IT LOOKS PERFECT........ NO dents, scratches, bows etc.......

.......any insight????? I need to know why.....it is making me crazy!!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A level is only level if the glas tube is 100% level with the surfaceyou use to mesure with. If there is an angle between the 2 you get a false reading

Greetings

Johan

Mar 2, 2008
Some levels are adjustable, meaning you need to adjust them initially. If the center level can be adjusted, find a known level surface (in awell constructed building for example) and adjust the center level.

If that's not the case with your level, it must be one of those DR "Southern Cross" levels.

These levels were specifically manufactured for big projects like the Metro. They are just for show. You simply prop it up prominently at any constrution site, carry around a clip board and a sincere look on your face, and, bingo, you pass for an engineer. Don't laugh, there's good money to be made.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
..........and I am hoping that it has something to do with it being in Puerto Plata, so that it can be DR related since I can't find anything on it on Google.............

My Level isn't level................and besides the fact that I can just go out and get a new one..............I'd like to know why?????

Is it the DR???? I bought it in Santiago (there you go, DR Related!).........

I have tried to find out WHY on google etc and can't...........

How can a level (brand new) NOT BE LEVEL?????? It is off by I would say about 10 degrees............it's a regular level with a glass tube with water in it........EVERYTHING ABOUT IT LOOKS PERFECT........ NO dents, scratches, bows etc.......

.......any insight????? I need to know why.....it is making me crazy!!

Take a deep breath and be still (level headed) for a sec...

A level could in fact be out of whack, if you put it to test using another one...

The main cause of levels out of whack is that the glass containing the liquid and air bubble was improperly set in the notch. Thus rendering the level useless. Most common levels have two to three glass bubbles, so that you can measure in angles as well.

Is nothing out of this world, but given the discriminating tooling nowadays, it's rare to spot one.

Back in the days of wooden levels, people kept theirs "in shape" by using the running water test.

Simply put, they would let water sit atop the level (while on a table) and make sure that the bubble indicated absolute middle (the table was checked doing this in clockwise turns around with the water prior to testing the level) if the water ran off the level edges, it meant that the level needed to be shaved some bumps...

Water sits in a puddle when delicately poured atop a leveled surface.

My father kept a huge wooden level at home back in the days. I can remember he used to test his using that technique.

The funniest thing I witnessed, was a friend trying to find out if his wall was leveled by placing it horizontally against it! LOL!!!

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I think you need a new bubble. Maybe you can pick one up at the ferreteria!

What's a bubble in Spanish?

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I have to share this. We had a wall built by a dominican who put his level atop each block and tapped, doing this the whole day. We laughed at how crooked the wall seemed, even doing this maneuver with the level with each block. It was a garden wall, so being level wasn't necessarily important.

At the end of the day, when he was washing his tools down, we noticed...there wasn't any glass in the level!

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I have to share this. We had a wall built by a dominican who put his level atop each block and tapped, doing this the whole day. We laughed at how crooked the wall seemed, even doing this maneuver with the level with each block. It was a garden wall, so being level wasn't necessarily important.

At the end of the day, when he was washing his tools down, we noticed...there wasn't any glass in the level!

That was one of those special levels used only for 'tapping' not 'leveling'!!!