Passport Application????

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I have tried to contact the british embassy on numerous occasions to ask their advice, However after months of delays i now have my daughters birth certificate. I need now to register her and apply for her passport, but i have a few questions.

1) She was born here, Dominican father, English mother is she entitled to an english passport?

2) What describs here status? English citizen, English overseas citizen, Dual nationality...I have no idea wich catagory she fall's into.

Any advice would be great as i don't seem to be having much joy with number for the consulate.

Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, and as the child of a British parent she is entitled to a British passport. She will be a normal British citizen - I don't think any other categories exist.

I think her only difference in status/rights from a British-born Brit is that she would not be able to pass on her nationality to her future kids unless they are born on British soil.

She will have dual DR/GB nationality.

Viva marmite and mang?!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Yes, and as the child of a British parent she is entitled to a British passport. She will be a normal British citizen - I don't think any other categories exist.

I think her only difference in status/rights from a British-born Brit is that she would not be able to pass on her nationality to her future kids unless they are born on British soil.

She will have dual DR/GB nationality.

Viva marmite and mang?!

Thanks for that, On the form it has a bunch of options but i will go with your suggestion. As for marmite i will have to try and score a pot to at least try and bring out the brit in her! ;)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have tried to contact the british embassy on numerous occasions to ask their advice, However after months of delays i now have my daughters birth certificate. I need now to register her and apply for her passport, but i have a few questions.

1) She was born here, Dominican father, English mother is she entitled to an english passport?

2) What describs here status? English citizen, English overseas citizen, Dual nationality...I have no idea wich catagory she fall's into.

Any advice would be great as i don't seem to be having much joy with number for the consulate.

Thanks

As the poster above remarked, she's GB citizen...

Now, being born to a Dominican male and in the DR, she automatically has the rights to her Dominican citizenship. After you deal with the British embassy regarding her citizenship and passport, all you need to do is file for her Dominican passport as well. She won't need to hold or pay any special residency permit/fees in the DR from there on.

She'll pay the Dominican rates in colleges and other benefits that being a Dominican citizen entitles you to. When she's of age to get her cedula, her nationality will be Dominican.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I am happy to hear that, Thank you. I hope as she gets older she will take full advantage of the fact she can have the best of both worlds. Now all i have to do is fill out he forms...groan!

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi Laurajane,

I'm British and my son was born in New York and he has a British and American passport. I needed to make sure he had a British Passport before travelling back to the UK. Hope that helps.

Tish