Car Question

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Fellow DR1 members;
I'm in the process to move to the DR and wonder, are there enough BMWs and Volvos there to support a repair business. I'm a cert. master tech with 10+ years experience on those cars and have dealer level diagnostic and special tools. I can work on any other cars, but on those I can work on the dealer level. I'll move the Puerto Plata area (well, if once in this lifetime I'll have all the necessary documents back so I could move...)
Appreciate your response!

TheHun

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are very few.
I can't say if there will be enough to support you.
I suppose that if you became really well known and reputed, yes.
If not, it's a tiny market share.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Fellow DR1 members;
I'm in the process to move to the DR and wonder, are there enough BMWs and Volvos there to support a repair business. I'm a cert. master tech with 10+ years experience on those cars and have dealer level diagnostic and special tools. I can work on any other cars, but on those I can work on the dealer level. I'll move the Puerto Plata area (well, if once in this lifetime I'll have all the necessary documents back so I could move...)
Appreciate your response!

TheHun

If you need a job you might be willing to talk to the shop where I am happily having repaired/maintained my car last year and a half. THey are located at the end of the small street that goes left from Pedro Clissante at Hotel Europa ( Sosua, Puerto PLata area).

Those people on regular basis deal with the latest models cars and very possible that they have an openning for a high quality mechanic.
The shop is owned by a rich Russian investor who pays generousely to his workers and to buy the latest equipment. You lose nothing to talk to them.

In my opinion currently it is the place number one in Puerto PLata area to repair modern high tech sophisticated cars.
(Disclaimer: I have no business relation to the shop. Just a very happy customer, after horrible previous experience with other local auto repair shops with my Infiniti.)

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Rocky , AK74,

Thanks for your response. I'll do some research when I'll be there. I'm not looking for an employer, I'd like to set up a business, since I own all the tools that I need.
What are the most commonly driven cars in there? Toyotas??
Thanks!

TheHun

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Not sure how busy you would be on the north coast, but in Santo Domingo on the west side you will see plenty of BMW's. In fact I'm sure you will be surprised how many :) Volvos are not so popular here, which is a shame as they make an excellent product.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
in santiago and santo domingo, I think we have more BMWs & mercedes than new york.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you were to set up in Santiago you would be in the middle of the Beemers and Voolvos of the entire Cibao region. AND the people from the North Coast would come to you.

HB

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
In Santo Domingo, BMW's, Mercedes, Porcshes, Range Rovers, and numerous other high ends cars are as common on the streets as Yellow Taxi Cabs in NY. From a purely economical standpoint, I would highly suggest setting up shop in Santo Domingo because everyone who has a high end vechile will go there. Santiago is the second choice and you'll be about 2 hours away from Puerto Plata. Setting up shop exclusively in Puerto Plata for these vechiles is not reccommended.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would highly suggest setting up shop in Santo Domingo because everyone who has a high end vechile will go there. Santiago is the second choice and you'll be about 2 hours away from Puerto Plata. Setting up shop exclusively in Puerto Plata for these vechiles is not reccommended.
makes perfect sense, but if the OP feels the same way about living in StoDgo or Santiago as I might, then it simply would not be an option.
I would rather live as a poor man in Sosua than a rich one in the big city.
Of course, that's just my opinion, but it could be a serious consideration for the OP.