Corrupt Immigration Officer at Puerto Plata Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Heads up for corrupt immigration officers at the Puerto Plata Airport!

My husband and I, plus our three kids were flying home to Canada last week after being in the DR for 10 months. When we came up to the immigration booth at the airport, a female immigration officer told us that we will have to pay a lot of money for overstaying, but she is too busy to deal with us now, so she will come up and find us in the waiting area, and we can pay her then. I asked her how much we will have to pay, and she said she will tell us upstairs.

A few minutes later, after clearing security and sitting down in the waiting area, the officer came up and signalled me to follow her. She led me to the restaurant and sat me down, where she ordered a drink for herself. Then she proceeded to explain that I needed to pay $ 3,000 RD per person and asked that I pay her directly.

I told her that I felt that was a lot of money to pay, and asked for proof of such figures, so she hesitatingly took a crumpled piece of paper out of her pocket that had the fees on it. To my surprise, it stated $ 2,000 RD/pp, at which point I asked to see her supervisor. I explained to him what happened, but he did not seem upset with her, he just repeated that I have to pay $2,000 RD/pp and asked me to pay the officer the money, then he walked away. I asked the officer why was she asking me for so much more, and she told me she was new on the job and did not know the prices too well yet. She was quite apologetic at this point. After I handed her the correct amount of money, I asked her for a receipt, but she told me that her supervisor will come and give me the receipt in a few minutes. Of course, we did not see the supervisor or the receipt before boarding the plane after waiting for 30 more minutes.

Luckily for us, we had been advised of the proper fees by the Canadian Embassy at one of their get-togethers, but I really wonder how many other travelers did not question the penalty and got ripped off!

We reported the incident to the Canadian Embassy the next day, and to my delight, I was informed the same day that the female officer was fired from the airport.

I am very impressed with the fact that the Canadian Embassy and the POP airport authority took the matter seriously and acted so quickly. I encourage anyone experiencing such irregularities at the airport to report it to your country's embassy and perhaps collectively we can "clean up" the airport.

If you want to know what are the proper immigration fees for overstaying, go to this website: ::::Direcci?n General de Migraci?n::: Rep?blica Dominicana.

Thanks for reading my post. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The reason the supervisor probably did not make a fuss was because he was not sure just WHO had obtained the job for the girl. It might have been someone far up the food chain of the PLD and he did not want to prejudice himself.
If, in fact, the girl was fired, so be it!!

I am impressed that you had the presence of mind to remember the correct payment schedule for overstaying tourist visas....good foryou.

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Fees Posted

The fees for overstays are posted at every window of immigrations upon departure so those who overpay are not paying attention to signs; but who reads signs. I also understand the woman was removed from her airport position that same day as a result of the embassy's report. Foul play should be reported to Aerodom/airport authority supervisor(s), not the supervisors of immigrations, customs or other government agency for whom the person may work; reasons being many, one of which HB describes very well above.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
corruption is two sided

Corruption is a two side sword... actually has two handles too.
It's unlikely we will ever do away with the blatant corruption in this country... it has become part of the "Culture".
Jobs at immigration and customs front line are privileged positions. Most make a multiple of their salary in tips and by raking "taxes" and "fees" into their own pockets. You need to be connected to get such a job, thus they are protected too.
The other side of corruption is that you, as a "customer", knowing what's going on can get a "rebate"... so both sides can "win".
Does the state or country loose? Well, in theory maybe... but the when you look where all the tax money goes or at what poor rate it really gets inverted in the country to the people's advantage... instead of financing condos on Miami Bayside or Coconut Groove... maybe the the money skimmed of by corrupt immigration and customs "officers" may find it's way more entirely into the local economy (?).

So, she got fired? Maybe... probably she will be back there in a week or she's already working at the customs check point. What good would it have done anyway... you did realize the "supervisor" was "in" on the scam... so, who do you think would follow her?

Enjoy the DR for what it is and how it is!;)

... J-D.

http://www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas.htm

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If all travellers took a print out of the fees required & presented this and the correct money on departure together with a charming smile & body language signifying you are not a person to be trifled with I believe it would reduce the incidents markedly. They are not not going to try it on if it entails a lot of hard work, they will go for the easy marks. Alternatively, if you know the correct amount you can smile & let the immigration officer know you enjoyed her joke. And insist on paying at the booth. Secret assignations in the restaurant mean only one thing.

Thank you for telling us, canuckgirl. Did the immigration officer pay for her own drink btw? :cheeky:

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Dear JD,

excuse me if I misunderstood you in the post above, but it almost sounds like you are in supprt of corruption, since it "feeds" the local economy. I am all for supporting the local economy and often give very generously to the poor, but this is an example of a blatant rip-off by a person of authority and I feel that cannot be tolerated. I am not disillusioned by thinking that we can eliminate all corruption in DR, but if my post helps even one person by informing them of this scam, I would have already achieved my goal, which is to protect the innocent tourist from getting ripped of. Warm regards.

fabsab

Mar 7, 2008
www.dr1.com
Taxation on the Spot

Well I agree with JD Sauser
In the "developing Nations" the issue of collection of taxes and distributing those funds to Goverment Employess(Provider of Services) has always been a problem.

On the other hand in the Developed Nations this issue has been mandated and inforced brutally. Keep in mind these tax rates are excessive and unavoidable. They collect it every year and distribute it to the Gov. Employees. Just imagine you call the IRS and say this year you have decided not to pay your taxes. However taxation and collections are much more laxed in the Developing Nations.

In no way I am excusing the actions of the Customs Agent. I am just trying to Portray how things gets done in the "Developing Nations" Hence the name.

my 0.02$

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Dear JD,

excuse me if I misunderstood you in the post above, but it almost sounds like you are in support of corruption, since it "feeds" the local economy. I am all for supporting the local economy and often give very generously to the poor, but this is an example of a blatant rip-off by a person of authority and I feel that cannot be tolerated. I am not disillusioned by thinking that we can eliminate all corruption in DR, but if my post helps even one person by informing them of this scam, I would have already achieved my goal, which is to protect the innocent tourist from getting ripped of. Warm regards.

I am not supporting nor endorsing corruption, but I know where I live and I have long given up on hoping that it can be done away with with actions like having someone like a skimming immigration officer fired. Actually, I would venture to believe that many of us who live here, have become quite comfortable with using many of the "services" offered by corrupt officers here and there. If we couldn't live with it, I think most could not live happily here.
What good would opposing it do anyway? If a local was connected enough to get a job which has a strong "secondary income potential", he or she will also have the back up power to be recycled right back into the same job or a similar one after a little setback like a complaint from a foreign consulate.
This is a matter of life here and that was the essence of my message posted above... But I can understand that, given the shortness of the message a different view could easily be read into into it and I don't hold that up against you.

I might also add, that I should also have stated that I wholeheartedly agree that corruption should be held as invisible to the tourist as possible. This is sadly not the case in many airports, at which some tourist have been known to be even intimidated by unscrupulous uniformed personnel. This will indeed harm the country and nation as a whole. Most tourists don't have the handle on corruption ex-pats eventually will have, so they don't have the leverage to also "profit" from it.

Would I have ran into your situation (and I am not saying I haven't), I would have known exactly how much I was to pay officially and I would have offered her half of it to be paid to her directly... and we would both have had a big smile... or make that a grin.

... J-D.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
shameless

since we are on the subject of corruption:
i always travel with my luggage half-filled with food (on a way from europe). i am always quite worried customs will take it and i shamelessly admit i am happy to bribe them as long as i can take my goodies with me.
hence my question: what is a good amount of money to make them turn a blind eye (and nose) and let me keep all the food?

ps so far so good, thanks to my motion sickness i aways look ready to puke even long time after landing so normally customs keep their distance. i am just asking in case there is a brave one...

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Dear Shameless,

I think you missed the fact that the original poster is talking about discouraging corruption, not promoting it. Perhaps you can post your question on a different thread.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Her name is dv8 (it's the line above the headline, which was 'shameless'). I think her question is relevant in this thread because as JD pointed out residents tend to have a different view on this from tourists. And I think we can both advise tourists how to protect themselves from getting scammed while we swop info about 'going rates' ;).

dv8, I now enter on tourist flights from UK so the question doesn't arise (searching of bags is rare) but for those entering schedule and unable to disassociate from Dominican miesposo the rate I last heard was US$20 & that was a few years back. But see, you're allowed food (as long as you don't break any mad cow regulations) so you might be daft to bribe at all because if you do, they might think you have something far worse..........and then it's everything out of the case.

I tend not to attempt bribing at entry, not because I'm 'holier than thou' but simply because these days of narcotrading I don't want half a pound of Sainsbury's gammon rashers to be mistaken for a kilo of white powder. I'd actually prefer to pay legitimate tax where they have the right to enforce it i.e. goods they think are for resale, even if they're not & are in fact gifts.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I hate corruption, but i also hate law breakers, which one is worst?
You wouldn't have to face corrupt immigrantion officers if you wouldn't had broken the law in the first place, if i would you i thank God, you just paid little fine of less than 60 USD.

Just imagen if you overstayed your visa in the U.S., what would it happen to you?
On your next trip, you get stop, refused entry and got deported.

God bless the DR.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
You wouldn't have to face corrupt immigrantion officers if you wouldn't had broken the law in the first place, if i would you i thank God, you just paid little fine of less than 60 USD.

Just imagen if you overstayed your visa in the U.S., what would it happen to you?

God bless the DR.

Oh pleeeeeaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! Still waiting for your reply from the last post you made regarding us hardened criminials the "overstayers". You are absolutlely right all people who overstay and generate huge amounts of money for this country, help the poor are much worse than corrupt individuals that abuse their power on a day to day basis to extort money. If you hate law breakers of every kind you must be a very isolated person and i am sure you have done so (probably without realizing it as obviously you are holier than thou) , i recorded the Top 40 off the radio in the U.K when i was 8 years old, for that i appologize and realize it is only fair to be beaten and shamed ;)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Oh pleeeeeaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! Still waiting for your reply from the last post you made regarding us hardened criminials the "overstayers". You are absolutlely right all people who overstay and generate huge amounts of money for this country, help the poor are much worse than corrupt individuals that abuse their power on a day to day basis to extort money. If you hate law breakers of every kind you must be a very isolated person and i am sure you have done so (probably without realizing it as obviously you are holier than thou) , i recorded the Top 40 off the radio in the U.K when i was 8 years old, for that i appologize and realize it is only fair to be beaten and shamed ;)

It doesn't matter if overstayers generate huge amounts of money to this country like you say. You are contributing to the lawlessness, you are fueling corruption. The huge amount of money overstays generate (if we believe you) are not helping the general population at all, because they are still poor and without hope, they are just learning to take it easy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you lambada, i never really planned to start with a bribe, my question was more like "what to give them if they start fussing over my luggage?". i did not know bringing food was legal, now i can defend myself. :)
i wonder if the OP would still be so upset if the officer would ask for 1000 pesos a head (half of the amount due) and packed all to her own pocket. i believe those who overstayed they visa are asked "give me a thousand" and this thousand never reaches the government building up the payment for officer's new jeepeta instead.
ps i have residency, somehow after horrors of illegal immigration i faced in the UK i prefer to be fair. and yes, i had legitimate visa in UK as well.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

God bless the DR.

You still don't know the difference between a VISA and a tourist CARD (tarjeta de turista). There is no such FINE for overstaying the tourist card 30 days period pero hay que pagar impuesto. Entiendes?? www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas.html

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Check the website
Dirección General de Aduanas - DGA

The food has to be dead btw otherwise you're subject to the requirement of phytosanitary certification.;)
This may be of assistance.
The 3 links at the bottom are higher resolution for better legibility.

ScannedImage-3a600x436.jpg

xvb221x600.jpg

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
This may be of assistance.
The 3 links at the bottom are higher resolution for better legibility.

ScannedImage-3a600x436.jpg

xvb221x600.jpg

Yes. Honey sin panal is allowed on paper. But they say " I SEE PANAL IN IT" about ANY honey and put the gallon behind them in the bin. And you can do nothing. You cannot fight them to save your honey. Later they resell it in colmado.

Status
Not open for further replies.