Best clubs for Hip Hop music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busy_Bee

Feb 17, 2008
I know its a spanish speaking country but wanted to know if there are any clubs that play Hip hop music in Sosua or Puerto Plata?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Most places the closest you will get is reggaeton. The clubs inside the Playa Dorada complex like Mangu or Hemingways or tourist oriented places like D'Classico in Sosua may play a bit of hip hop, but not much, and even then it would likely be something that had a crossover appeal. For example, when "Who Let the Dogs Out" was popular, you would hear it occasionally.

worldbfree

May 27, 2008
Have not been to Latinos but Classico plays a fair share of hip hop, mainly New York with a little bit of west coast and dirty south mixed in. After One played more bachata, merengue and reggeaton music.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
most of the hip hop i hear in mainly old top 40 music. don't expect to hear anything new. but then again, who goes for the music ?

LAS CHICAS !!!!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hip Hop in the DR

I know its a spanish speaking country but wanted to know if there are any clubs that play Hip hop music in Sosua or Puerto Plata?

I know you asked about Sosua and Puerto Plata but truth be told the bulk of the DR's hip hop scene is found in Santo Domingo and even then you'll have a tough time finding some straight up hip hop clubs. You have to determnine what a hip hop club is: a) A club that plays exclusively urban music or b) a club that holds rap and break dance and dj'ing battles. Neither of which exist in SD and the DR.

Either way if you are a real hip hop fan this is not the place for you. First, the US Hip Hop you will find here is that watered down "Gangster pop" that is played on top forty radio. Real hip hop despise that stuff. The clubs that will play a hip hop song will play one or two tracks by 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg. Garbage!

Then you might get some horrible reggeaton. Blahdy Blah and boring to boot. And then there is Rap Dominicano. Yeah this is as close as you can get in terms of rapping and rhyming, but no where near what you see in the US or even Europe (Holland has some amazing Hip Hop culture and so does Marseille, France: the heart of European hip hop)

A lot of the hip hop you hear will come from the shanty shack clubs in the barrios and then there are the freestyle battles with cats who love to rhyme but unless you know some guys in the know its not like these places will pop out at you.

I've been here a bit and have tried to step into the hip hop scene, but it bored me so I gave up trying to do it. Best bet if you want hip hop just get some kid with a big radio in his car and have him play the music while you parking lot pimp at a gas station...

Mr. Lu

ladulcevida

Jul 2, 2008
Hello there Mr. Lu ,I didnt post this question but i sincerely appreciate your insightful and respectful response about the hip/hop reggaeton culture in the DR. Im a huge music lover and it's often times hard to get info on reggaeton that is as informative as this. Holland hip hop is amazing, intresting to hear that nothing parallels this in the DR.

Where do you specifically recommend as a good dance club if you want to dance primarily to reggaeton and such? ( i can wait out other types of music) I know you mentioned "a shanty scene" but im still in a lil state of shock thinking that that is the best,lol. Im kinda inferring that Santo Domingos may be the best bet?

Busy_Bee

Feb 17, 2008
Thanks

I just want to say thanks to everybody!!!!!
I just got back and had a blast.
The clubs are great and thanks for the advice. They love hip hop down there as well as their own local music. Also for the first time I heard dominican hip hop (domincan reggaeton).
But I will be back
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.