Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
The Manhole covers are being stolen and
sold as scrapmetal because of the high
price for metal these days.

The government in order to stop this will
replace them with a heavy concrete-like plastic
covers bought from Mexico at $115.00 USD each.

How dumb is that? Why not impose a hefty fine with the
possiblity of jail time and business shut down to buyers
caught accepting any city's belonging items, and give them
unannounced inspections?

All they have to do is make the buyers pay dearly
for buying anything that makes up or is part of the
city or country's infrastructure.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

unannounced inspections?

The title of your post says it all. Nothing to add.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It wouldn't be so bad if they made coins out of them......

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
Mr_DR, it ain't strictly a dominican plague, happens in my country as well, one dude even stole and sold an iron bridge - which is DR would have never happened as all the iron for the bridge was stolen "off plan" and government settled for cement bridge instead.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008

unannounced inspections?

Because they can steal more money from the budget of a concrete-like plastic cover that cost USD115.00 each unit than from imposing fines.

Our Government is many things, sadly stupid is not one of them. They're corrupt, amoral, arrogant delinquents, but stupid? no sir, the only stupid people here are the pueblo.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
Mr_DR, it ain't strictly a dominican plague, happens in my country as well, one dude even stole and sold an iron bridge - which is DR would have never happened as all the iron for the bridge was stolen "off plan" and government settled for cement bridge instead.

An Iron Bridge?

K cojones!!! If that doesnt warrant a major beatdown at the hand of the entire population
I dont know what will.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
My friends and I stole 2 manhole covers here in NYC when we were teenagers-but we needed them because the vinyl weights we were pumping weren't heavy enough.

I have no idea how much they weighed, but they were heavy enough to bend the bar we were using and I was only able to put them up once in the bench press.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Because they can steal more money from the budget of a concrete-like plastic cover that cost USD115.00 each unit than from imposing fines.

Our Government is many things, sadly stupid is not one of them. They're corrupt, amoral, arrogant delinquents, but stupid? no sir, the only stupid people here are the pueblo.

The more s*** like this i see, the more i would like to see another Trujillo resurface.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

unannounced inspections?

It makes perfect sense. I'm sure it's cheaper to replace the old ones than chase people around the city, prosecute, fine people etc etc.

Plus somebody's cousin earns some graft by bringing them into the DR, installing them etc etc.

Or...

Maybe you can stand guard when your next in the DR?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It makes perfect sense. I'm sure it's cheaper to replace the old ones than chase people around the city, prosecute, fine people etc etc.

Plus somebody's cousin earns some graft by bringing them into the DR, installing them etc etc.

Or...

Maybe you can stand guard when your next in the DR?
You make it illegal to buy them
then there is no need to guard them.

these people that you are calling fine people are not fine people if they go arround
buying these covers when they know they are stolen items. If you make it illegal for business to buy them then there wouldn't be anybody stealing them.

That money that is being spent on buying newones could easly help somebody cousin's education or flu vaccines.

Again these businesses should be prosecuted to the max without any mercy.

Hell, just have the cops or the army guard them....what else can they be doing?

Mar 2, 2008
Mr DR,
I'm not sure if you are serious or not. If you are serious you are way off-base.

There is a huge difference between passing a law (relatively simple) and enforcing a law (in some cases impossible).

Do you know how many manholes there are in, say, Sando Domingo alone?
Do you how the covers might be transformed before selling them to metal dealers? Do Do you know how difficult it would be to prosecute a case of selling a melted-down manhole cover?
And finally, do you know how inefficient and fruitless it would be to guard each manhole cover?

Come on, get real, will you. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. If you had thought any of this through you would know how foolish your "solution" sounds.

Now if the government was really well-intentioned it would start a public works project, using the unemployed to replace and process the metal from the manhole covers and start minting their own coins.

That would kill three birds with one stone. It would provide jobs, pay for the new covers, and take care of the coin shortage.

Of course, knowing how the government operates, that suggestion is just as foolish as guarding the manholes.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Mr DR,
I'm not sure if you are serious or not. If you are serious you are way off-base.

There is a huge difference between passing a law (relatively simple) and enforcing a law (in some cases impossible).

Do you know how many manholes there are in, say, Sando Domingo alone?
Do you how the covers might be transformed before selling them to metal dealers? Do Do you know how difficult it would be to prosecute a case of selling a melted-down manhole cover?
And finally, do you know how inefficient and fruitless it would be to guard each manhole cover?

Come on, get real, will you. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. If you had thought any of this through you would know how foolish your "solution" sounds.

Now if the government was really well-intentioned it would start a public works project, using the unemployed to replace and process the metal from the manhole covers and start minting their own coins.

That would kill three birds with one stone. It would provide jobs, pay for the new covers, and take care of the coin shortage.

Of course, knowing how the government operates, that suggestion is just as foolish as guarding the manholes.

Who said that these thieves are selling it as melted metals?
they would never do that because it would be too complicated
for them not counting all the energy it would require to melt them.
they are selling it as scrap.

Say what ever you would like but it is big concern that needs to be
punished just as the next person that gets caught using stoplights as
shooting practice.

If you don't think that stealing these covers is not anything to worry about
you must not know about the accidental risks that leaving these holes open
would involve specially in a country where the light is seldom seen and people
driving vehicles and bikes like crazy.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Originally Posted by Robert

these people that you are calling fine people are not fine people if they go arround buying these covers when they know they are stolen items.
Robert is using the word "fine" in the other sense of the word, equivalent to "multa" in Spanish, a sum of money paid to settle a matter, a sum required to be paid as punishment or penalty for an offense.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
IMO the plastic manhole covers can be a good solution to this issue. Cheaper than metal as well. My only beef is that I'm sure they could have found a local supplier, instead of having to import them from Mexico. Hopefully people won't start stealing them to make tables out of them (Round top, attach four legs you got a table). A more permanent and cheaper solution IMO is to make them out of cement which would assure they won't get stolen.

With the current price of metal we are going to have to start looking at alternate materials to build stuff from.

May 5, 2007
The Government could do what many other places do when manhole theft is a problem: spot weld the things to their pipes.

It only takes a couple minutes with a torch or sledge hammer to remove, but makes a hell of a lot of noise and is very obvious to onlookers

Yes, the thieves could also use this method, but they would be very noticeable

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The Government could do what many other places do when manhole theft is a problem: spot weld the things to their pipes.

It only takes a couple minutes with a torch or sledge hammer to remove, but makes a hell of a lot of noise and is very obvious to onlookers

You beat me to it. I think it's the best solution. EDNORTE did it to most of their meeters and it stopped a lot of fraud.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

I can see no downside to your proposal.
Why didn't the government think of it too, or is it as lollipop suggests?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I can see no downside to your proposal.
Why didn't the government think of it too, or is it as lollipop suggests?

yep, there are many ways to make it harder for these crooks to steal these covers but i guess it is just like you, Robert and others said.....Somebody wants to get their hands into the cookie jar.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
scrap yards in the US all want photo ID these days and when something is stolen that makes a good buck as scrap the police go down to the junk yard and ask, who brought in the manhole covers, guard rails, aluminum light poles? same goes for pawn shops. not too complicated but i suppose dominican cops are too busy with people overstaying their tourist cards. how many scap yards are in this country anyway? in this country someone could steal the santiago monument, move it to moca, it wouldn't get reported to police for a month and then the govt. would buy a plastic replica from mexico. no one in moca will report anything unusual.