Assaulted By a Gang

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There must have been 20-30 of them. I'm walking down a shaded path late in the afternoon, and suddenly, without warning, they were all over me.

Those tiny Dominican mosquito's.

But before my comparde could offer some Dominican insect repellant, the damage had been done. My calves had been savaged by the critters.

Each left a tiny red spot where they attacked. Now, 2 days later, my skin is on fire, itching constantly. The skin is actually swollen, and feels hot and tight, like a sunburn, except with lumps.

So, two questions:

-What do y'all suggest to stop the itching and burning, and

-What is the best local insect repellant concoction?

Don't want to go through this again...:surprised

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There must have been 20-30 of them. I'm walking down a shaded path late in the afternoon, and suddenly, without warning, they were all over me.

Those tiny Dominican mosquito's.

But before my comparde could offer some Dominican insect repellant, the damage had been done. My calves had been savaged by the critters.

Each left a tiny red spot where they attacked. Now, 2 days later, my skin is on fire, itching constantly. The skin is actually swollen, and feels hot and tight, like a sunburn, except with lumps.

So, two questions:

-What do y'all suggest to stop the itching and burning, and

-What is the best local insect repellant concoction?

Don't want to go through this again...:surprised
Are you sure they were mosquitos?
I have been similarly attacked in the outskirts of Constanza, but they appeared to be more of a black fly or noseeums.
I know no remedies but Aloe couldn't hurt.
It does relieve and helps heal.
I don't know of any repellent either, specially if they are not mosquitos, but I bet the locals who live around the area of attack, have some tricks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on a positive note

after you've been here for about a year they lose interest in you :cheeky:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
dv8, that is so true! When we lived in the country, anyone who came to visit got attacked, however we remained bite free!

Benydryl is available at most pharmacies, and you need only buy 1 or 2 tablets. That will take care of the swelling and the itch.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Found this interestiong for fighting the pesky mosquito

Can this possibly be true??

Mosquito Spray...Worth a try
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah Robert: Those are mi-mis or mee-mees or geg?nes...or noseeums...gnats!!!

Nasty creatures. Deporte makes a repellent that works and is available all over the place.
Also wear long pants like big boys do!!

PAPA HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Nasty creatures. Deporte makes a repellent that works and is available all over the place.

PAPA HB
I think that the insect they call mee-mees, is what we call a fruit fly, like the ones that hang around over ripe fruit.
You'll often find them around bananas.
I do agree, however, that CB's critters are not mosquitos, but some type of noseeum.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

PAPA HB
I hear you about the pants (have you ~seen~ my "special occasion" golf pants???). The gals in my group, wife and sister of my sponsor, wore shorts with no problem. 'Course, I'm guessing they slathered some bug repellant on, too. They DID wear some knitted long-sleeve things, not a shirt, but just long sleeves...

Tell you what: those bugs, mi-mi's, whatever, are viscious. We had no-see-ums in FL that were bad, but NOTHING like these little black things. Mini Pirhana with wings. I have prolly 80 little bites in 2 minutes. Nasty.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tell you what: those bugs, mi-mi's, whatever, are viscious. We had no-see-ums in FL that were bad, but NOTHING like these little black things. Mini Pirhana with wings. I have prolly 80 little bites in 2 minutes. Nasty.
And they mount coordinated group attacks, just like fire ants.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And they mount coordinated group attacks, just like fire ants.
They were Green Berets, no match for my "SWAT" team:cheeky:.

Ultimately I used chemical WMD's to win the battle. I will in the future, too, regardless of world opinion...;)

Sanation

May 21, 2007
As an alternative to insect repellant, try taking a high dose of vitamin B complex daily. After a few weeks of taking it, it builds up in the body and permeates through the skin. You can't smell it, but the bugs can.

We've been taking this for a couple of months and it works!

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Those me-mees are bad news. The bites really bother the second nite!! Lots worse than misquitoes. I got nailed in the daytime just a minute in a sunny area in the campo.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yep. Very Bad News. Noseeums, aka Ceratopogonidae. I fart in their general direction.

Found the following here: Creatures of Dominican Republic

Noseeums (No-see-ums) in Dominican Spanish: Mayes (found near the sea) and Gegenes (found in the hills)

These nasty little creatures are true bloodsuckers. They are known as Punkies, Black Gnats, and Black Sand flies. (In Spanish: Moscas de Arena, Chaquist?es, Zancudos Negros). These loathsome flies come from the family Ceratopogonidae. They are teeny, tiny, biting, persistent little buggers that are, in my opinion, worse than mosquitoes. Less than ? inch long and can get through a normal window screen with no problem. No problem for them but big problems for their unawares meal that just may have your name on it!

Since the noseeum cannot be seen (maybe this is why they have this nickname??) and the immediate bite can't be felt, they can make your blood a feast before you really know what's happening. Walking along ever so innocently one can easily stir up a swarm without knowing. If you're lucky they will swarm. In a swarm they can be seen, a dark foreboding mass. The only problem with this swarm is they can enter any open body cavity (i.e. the mouth and nose). If you happen to find yourself in a swarm I strongly suggest that you close these openings. That is, unless you want to be choking on their little, bitter tasting carcasses (yes, I know the taste well). If you have been swarmed move along quickly and get out of their territory, as they don't like to travel very far from their home. So, I say, when you see a black cloud of flying bugs coming toward you..RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

These blood sucking mini vampires usually live in shrubs and ground cover. Along the water, marshlands and areas where it is damp. But they can be found just about anyplace. Even in the soil around your home or in your favorite potted plant. They are unlike mosquitoes as they do not need water to produce their offspring. Moisture will do just fine for them and their babies.

The female, the only gender of these vicious little buggers that sucks blood, will get you before you know what is happening. She needs the protein in your blood for her to be able to pro-create and be mommy to the next generation of these relentless creatures. She will find you by smell. As with any persistent woman out for blood, it is not easy to hide. This unrelenting female will suck the blood of anything that has this red substance flowing through their veins.

After taking the blood, of course they need to leave you a little gift so you remember them. Left behind is a little red blotch that is extremely itchy. Try not to scratch these red spots as they will just get itchier and could get infected. (This happened to me a month of weeks ago, got an infection from a bug bite, scared the MRSA had returned...)

The red spots can plague you for a few hours up to a week or more. Usually there are many blotches and you can look like you have some sort of disease before they turn from bright red to a light fading pink. Rest assured the blotches will disappear in time. All that will be left behind is the memory of what these minuscule, almost invisible vampire-ettes can do to reek havoc on your nerves and flesh. You will for sure remember to watch out for them in the future, even if you can't see them.

Be sure to use some type of insect repellant. Something with DEET is best. It is said that if you do not want to put those chemicals on your body that you can use Catnip, lavender, cedar, or even patchouli oils. Don't wear light colored clothing as this attracts bugs. They say (do you know who they are?) that eating too many bananas can attract biting bugs. If you eat garlic or eat lots of hot peppers (bugs and humans alike won't come near), take vitamin B or brewers yeast, this is supposed to help also. To ease the itch rub parsley, lemon balm, or the inside of a banana peel on the spot. (*NOTE-these are all things I have read and some I have tried myself. Use what is best for you. These natural remedies are not tested and may not work for you. I just like learning of the natural ways to rud myself of bugs and their after effects. This is probably why I always have bites on my body)

Interesting note - these tiny insects are found in abundance in amber. Seemingly attracted to the color of the fluid. The DMS extracted from these pesty creatures has been very helpful.

ForeignNative

Jun 16, 2008
Try this to stop the itching:
Apply rubbing alcohol to each bite and then put scotch tape over it. Leave on for a few hours, then remove the tape. It sounded crazy to me too, but I was willing to try anything last night and I haven't itched since then.
Good luck!

Jan 5, 2006
CB, you already found the answer. Those bugs are mayes. The locals pronounce it "mah-gees" and as you found out, they are nasty critters. The marks from the bites will take months to totally disappear. :dead:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
CB, you already found the answer. Those bugs are mayes. The locals pronounce it "mah-gees" and as you found out, they are nasty critters. The marks from the bites will take months to totally disappear. :dead:
Thanks for giving us the correct name.
It's quite similar to the English name, "Midge".
Midge.gif

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yep. I got whacked with a couple of bites before, didn't know what they were, one got infected badly. Ugh. Took two weeks to clear up and still have the purple spot. I'm taking care of this new batch, so far so good.

Lesson learned. No mas...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I got about 4-5 bits from the little B-tches at Chrismas and although not painful they were inflamed and itchy for about ten days. Never saw them or felt the bites until 2-3 hours later. Yris was right beside me and didn't get bitten once.