Help Car/Jeep rental in POP airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

berro

Jun 20, 2008
Hello All
I am planning a visit to DR in December of this year. We will be arriving in Puerto Plata airport. We are staying between Rio San Juan and Gaspar Hernandez. So my plan is to rent a car and drive to our destination. I have to note that we
ARE NOT the all inclusive type. I plan to drive around the different towns, eat the local food and discover the beautiful country. Do I need to rent a jeep at the airport or a compact car is OK??? Please note that I am an avid traveler and I have driven in crazy driving cities like Rio and Beirut Lebanon...
If you guys think I need a jeep, any recommendations on companies???
In addition, please let me know of any places around that we (Me and my wife, both 30 years old) must visit and not miss
Thank you
Bernard

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go online to Expedia and check their prices at POP. You will get a much better rate if you reserve online than you will at the airport here. Eurocar is usually a good bet at POP.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Car Hire - POP

Hi berro,

Due to the condition of the roads and the extra space I think a jeep would be infinitely more comfortable and practical than a compact car. :ermm:

There are a number of car hire companies at the airport and of course picking one up as soon as you land means saving on transfer/taxi costs.
You can google "cheap car hire in the Dominican Republic" and you will find them all listed there. I have used about 4 or 5 of the companies but have taken to using tropi-car - Tropi-car Rent a Car. Puerto Plata and Cabarete Car rental with the best SUV rental fleet, located in Dominican Republic in Puerto Plata Airport - purely because they are good value, very easy to deal with and offer a personal service - the owner Naiyeni is very helpful. Make sure you are fully insured, won't you?

As for places to visit - buy one of the excellent travel guides available on amazon or ebay and have a read up - good for you for wanting to get out and about. The country and its people are wonderful and you will have a trip to remember I am sure. If you don't speak Spanish - remember to take a dictionary and phrase book - there won't be much English spoken once you get away from the tourism!

Have a great holiday

;)

Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.