Body-Paint-Shop to repaint vehicle completely, swiftly and in good quality?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am looking for a clean, capable and reputable body-paint-shop which can and will change the color on a vehicle. I am looking for a place which will disassemble the vehicle (without loosing or selling off all parts) as necessary, repair some minor dings, sand it and repaint in a new (non-metallic) color in very good quality and swiftly (meaning working continuously on it, not only serving colorful explanation as to why... blah blah blah). (I know, I am asking a lot).

I would prefer a place on the greater POP-North Coast (Cabaret thru Puerto Plata) but would also consider Santiago.

I also have a question to those who may know about the legal aspects of changing a vehicle's color: The registration shows vehicle color. Does anybody have recent first hand experience as to what is involved in having the registration amended on the color entry?

Thanks! ... J-D.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
J D,
I know the best place in POP and the results are excellent, but if you are expecting it to look organized like they are in the industrialized nations, forget it.
We have several friends who have used them, including myself, and the work is always top notch.
PM me for directions.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There's a shop on the road behind Caribe Tours in Puerto Plata that does absolutely excellent results. He does most of the work for insurance companies on the North Coast. For the life of me, I can't remember his name right now.

Not only that, but his turn around is the fastest I have experienced, here or in the states. He has it down to an art.

Maybe it's the same guy Rocky is talking about.

I don't know all of the specifics but I do know color change requires posting an ad in the paper for three days, then a copy of the ad has to be taken to the local office to get the matricula changed. I'm betting there's also a stamp or two that needs to be purchased.
That's the one.
You wouldn't think so when you walk into his shop, but he does top notch work.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks you two.
Is that the little service road that goes between the pawn shop and the Caribe Tours plaza (parallel to the main road coming from the Jimenez stores towards La Javilla)?

I'll check'em out. I am used to "funny" looking places... they weren't any less chaotic in Ecuador... always wondered how they could get the paint on a body without having mosquitoes, flies and lizards stuck into it.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks you two.
Is that the little service road that goes between the pawn shop and the Caribe Tours plaza (parallel to the main road coming from the Jimenez stores towards La Javilla)?

I'll check'em out. I am used to "funny" looking places... they weren't any less chaotic in Ecuador... always wondered how they could get the paint on a body without having mosquitoes, flies and lizards stuck into it.

Thanks! ... J-D.
That's the one, just before the tiny muffler shop.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
J D,
I know the best place in POP and the results are excellent, but if you are expecting it to look organized like they are in the industrialized nations, forget it.
We have several friends who have used them, including myself, and the work is always top notch.
PM me for directions.

Thank you far valuable info! I will give them a try myself too.

So far all the paint/bodywork jobs that I saw in DR were plain horrible. A dealer can see that the car was done from across the street. Without even taking a paint thickness meter from his pocket.
Runs. Orange peel. Dirt in the paint. Overspray.Color mismatch. Failed gaps. Bent rails.
Tons of Bondo. Cheap low quality Chinese aftermarket replacement body parts that won`t fit and rust right away.
Here at Manheim a car with these things would sell for 30% of its normal price.

Thank you for the great info one more time!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Like any country, you just need to know the good and bad places. I have seen some outstanding paint jobs here, it all depends on what and who you know.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
They use a spray booth for painting, hence, no bugs. They are also anal about body fit and function.

I am amazed at their expertise. I watched them repair a Toyota landcruiser that did a nasty rollover. Every side bashed in,(not a big deal) and the top pushed in to the seats. When they finished, I couldn't believe it was the same vehicle. Impressive stuff.

I spent the entire day yesterday trying to remember the name, and even tried getting drunk last evening, hoping that would refresh my memory. Zilch! Zip, Nada!!

Getting older is a beach!

A R T H U R O ? ... ;) does that ring a bell? :cheeky:
I went by yesterday but they were closed already. But I could get a glimpse at the shop and it is impressively better organized than most I have seen so far. They got a frame adjusting rig and an oven to bake the paint on.
On the way out of there, I got stopped and invited to a beer by some old neighborhood campo "tigueres" which have the same vehicle I have... so we chatted and got introduced to one of the shops workers (who now has a shop of his own)... so, I got some insider info too.
I'll check'em out Monday again.

Thanks to all! ... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A R T H U R O ? ... ;) does that ring a bell? :cheeky:
I went by yesterday but they were closed already. But I could get a glimpse at the shop and it is impressively better organized than most I have seen so far. They got a frame adjusting rig and an oven to bake the paint on.
On the way out of there, I got stopped and invited to a beer by some old neighborhood campo "tigueres" which have the same vehicle I have... so we chatted and got introduced to one of the shops workers (who now has a shop of his own)... so, I got some insider info too.
I'll check'em out Monday again.

Thanks to all! ... J-D.
Yes, Arturo is his name, but I think the shop has another name.
Anyhow, you're in the right place, and if by any chance the job is not quite up to your expectations, it won't be far from them.
Besides, there's nobody better, IMHO.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Like any country, you just need to know the good and bad places. I have seen some outstanding paint jobs here, it all depends on what and who you know.
Fully agree. I had some work done on a rental car that I scraped against a concrete pole. I was eferred to a small shop not far from Las Colinas Mall (before there was a mall) that looked like someone's backyard barn. Totally amazing work, flawless, in 2 days no less. For 1/15th what it would have cost in the states.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
change the color on a vehicle

I am looking for a clean, capable and reputable body-paint-shop which can and will change the color on a vehicle.
Thanks! ... J-D.

Be careful, If you change the color you need to change La matricula, so it is another story.

P.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Be careful, If you change the color you need to change La matricula, so it is another story.

P.

Yes thanks, that was part two of my question. I checked with my lawyer in STI... apparently no problem, jest another day at Plan Piloto... and some papers notarized.

Yesterday I dismantled the vehicle completely and today I turned it over to Arturo SA. I'll post a progress and results report.

Thanks! ... J-D.