FL Brit

FL Brit

Jun 21, 2008
I am about to buy a business on the beach in Sousa, can anyone tell me about any pitfalls, or any problems a English person US citizen may have

Thanks

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think you may have a few to be honest. Do you have Dominican Residency status? Do you speak Spanish? Are you English or American? Why not ask something a little more specific so we understand how to reply? Wish you luck too and welcome to DR1

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am about to buy a business on the beach in Sousa, can anyone tell me about any pitfalls, or any problems a English person US citizen may have

Thanks

Yes. First pitfall: when you give people your address be prepared for blank looks. The place is Sosua (3 syllables, sounds like Sew-sue-ah, emphasis on 2nd syllable). :cheeky:
Second potential pitfall: are you a) running this establishment yourself or b) employing someone to do it for you? If b) do you know about labour laws etc here? How well do you know the employees? If a) have you lived here fulltime for at least 6 months? Do you know how things work here? And do you know why the vendor wishes to sell?

It isn't necessary for you to answer these questions publically but please answer them for yourself and please read between the lines. Your nationality is unimportant, your streetsmarts are all-important.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

Thanks
How long do you have for a truly honest answer????

Probably your first problem would be knowing which town you are in - do you mean SOSUA on the north coast? :cheeky: :ermm:

Would this be a beach bar? They seem to get bought & sold on fairly regular basis as far as I can see - you should really check things out a fair bit before putting pen to paper & money into some-else's hand. Make sure 150% that there are not outstanding bills to be paid by the seller. ANY bills outsanding will immediately become YOUR responsibility & you need to make sure that any contract indicating bill of sale has a clause that ALL outstanding bills prior to date of sale is the SOLE responsibility of the seller. Let HIM/HER fight out the legalities with those demanding money for bills prior to your buying the business.

Now, about your Spanish? Have you spent much time in Sosua studying the way business is done, the visits by policemen, important townsfolk, the girls ................ ? Will you be expecting credit from your suppliers? Are you taking over the exiting staff, running it yourself or looking to employ new staff? Have you verified the books with an independent auditor? Checked these figures with regulars on the beach ......... The LIST I'm afraid is exhaustingly long - you MUST do loads of homework before getting to putting an offer in stage otherwise you will end up giving your life's savings to the outgoing owner (who probably put most of HIS life's savings into it!!).:paranoid:

Negative? Paranoid? .......... Yup, most likely, but if you chack out some of the above you might save yourself a bob or two. If all stacks up well then you will have a chance of being successful, leave the above UNchecked & you have every chance of being caught with your pants down when 'Push' comes to 'Shove'!!

Good luck ~ Grahame.

Dang woman, ....... do you ALWAYS have to get in there in front of me?????

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And do bear in mind that all beach bars in Sosua are on public land.
You can never have a title nor rightful ownership.
As if that weren't enough, there are constant rumours that all the shacks on the beach will be torn down shortly.
The only thing you could actually own, is the materials, equipment and inventory, in said bar.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You could get in touch with 'wishingiwasthere' and import XXL men's wares: shoes and shirts for starters.

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
So, you found a caseta on the beach for sale? Well, lucky you! In case you haven't noticed yet, EVERYTHING is 4-Sale, especially in Sosua and when you are a foreigner... culprit number one when you are not from around (since you asked) is that it takes time to separate the ones who fly a kite from those who really are selling.

There seems to be only a hand full out of all these bars on the beach which make some business... while most others dwindle along and change hands every now and then. Many are leases, sub and probably sub-sub leases, so be aware whom you are buying from too. Few of those which seem to work well, have a concept which stands out but most just work and nobody can really pinpoint the reason why. Sometimes it so seems, it may just be because "so-and-so" owns or controls it... so it's cool to hang out there. We have seen ranchos tipicos and bars stand empty for years and then "someone" bought it up, didn't even repaint and the place is so crowdy one can't even fall. So... you are? Oh well, then maybe you have a concept idea... it may indeed work... or not.
An other word of warning, just in case: Dominicanas usually have two "splendid" business ideas; either a (one more) beauty parlor or a bar (preferably on the beach) where they'd set up a green fridge and sell "tostadas". Dominican BF's on the other hand usually only have one idea: yes, you guessed it right... the bar on the beach. The problems besides overwhelming competition... better yet, market over-saturation are too many to list... yet, the constant tendency to confuse gross sales (if there are any) as net income is typical prime issue worth while mentioning.
Yes, there are no titles to the casetas on the beach. They are being sold or traded off private contracts. Up to you or your lawyer friend to find out who really is the last "owner" in right to sell! Yet, as pointed out, it's public land (or at least, that's the word) so there are no titles availabe, EVER. Yet, these things have been there for ages so they (there is an association of which you will want to become a full member... if they let you) will raise all hell and claim rights if the government wants to get rid of them in favor of some big a$$ tourist project. Still those rights will most likely be honored to Dominicans (first or only). But you could put it in the name of some Dominican GF/BF, yet standing a good chance loosing it to her/him (many of these places HAD a gringo/a owner at some time) or put it into your name and stand a good chance to loose it to a big yellow caterpillar some day (I'd gamble on the later... you might get to keep it longer).

Then, there are the girls, their "owners" and "agents" and bros and cousins, the toy boys, the drunks, some addicts and a lot of foreign customers which will turn out to be good drinkers and quick friends (after all, YOU made it, YOU got the bar and the big mean green fridge with the magic stuff in green bottles)... yet, they will only make up for good story tellers, especially around closing time, when all wonder about who will pick up the tab... since they didn't quite make it (or maybe at some time had one of those bars too?).

Just another Caribbean life style experience.

So, how about the other alternative and open a Real Estate office somewhere in El Batey? :bunny:

My friend, I am not trying to bust your dream, but nightmares are dreams too. And at the end of all days... a bar on the beach may seem a fun operation and a "kewl" life style, yet, I am afraid, it stands a good chance to turn out to be more work and headaches one coming here would wish for. Still, most of us here, or at least most I observe as doing quite well, do WORK and work hard. There is no secret, money may seem worth more here than where most are coming to this island from, but somehow it is at a higher risk to just evaporate around here. Dreams just so seem to be priceless most everywhere.

... J-D.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So, you found a caseta on the beach for sale? ...............................................
... J-D.
A very generous post indeed.
And you're even kind enough to accord the OP the belief that he might actually succeed, as minuscule a chance there is of that ever happening.
When something is 99% sure, I permit myself to make generalizations, so without further ado...

Don't do it man !!!
bash.gif
You'll lose your shirt.

FL Brit

Jun 21, 2008
Well everyone,
First, sorry for the miss spelling.
Second, Thank you all for your open and honest imformation.
Third, I will spend time digesting your information.

I do appreciate all of you.
Please keep in touch.

FL Brit.
We are English till we Die.
God Save the Queen, and me if I buy a Bar. LOL

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Well everyone,
First, sorry for the miss spelling.
Second, Thank you all for your open and honest imformation.
Third, I will spend time digesting your information.

I do appreciate all of you.
Please keep in touch.

FL Brit.
We are English till we Die.
God Save the Queen, and me if I buy a Bar. LOL
You don't realize how LUCKY you are to have consulted DR1 members on the subject. Listen to them. I'm sure a lot of EX business owners regret not having done so.