Big men ? I need your help

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Normally stay on the north cost ? however traveling to Santaigo is no problem.
I know Gasper H, Sosua, and much of Peurto Plata ? but where on earth do you find decent clothes and shoes?

I am coming back for 2 weeks quite shortly and will be looking to buy shoes and shirts ? but in the past have never found a place that fits unless I want the baseball look?

In the UK I have size 15 feet ? don?t know how that translates into US size, and Im guessing from the old photos that I have seen I would be the same size as CC when he was a big guy.

Ive seen large Dominican men ? but where on earth do they shop?

Just incase people think I am being cheap ? shoes in the UK for my size that are smart for work will cost anything in the region of ?120 upwards ? around 7000 pesos ? so I am looking to buy as many as my luggage allowance will allow!

Help from the ex pats is always much appreciated!

May 12, 2005
Try taking a trip into Santiago and going to Calle Del Sol. It's the downtown commercial area and has several large stores. Good luck.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Online at casualmale.com and shipped in from Florida via CPS/Continental. Casual clothes of all types, and dressy clothes too, (up to 6XL or so) , and shoes up to US size 17 or so...

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Yes Fat guys do get laid here...or you never will !

Online at casualmale.com and shipped in from Florida via CPS/Continental. Casual clothes of all types, and dressy clothes too, (up to 6XL or so) , and shoes up to US size 17 or so...

It seams to work for me.........Black Swim Trunks with Fine Linen Cotten dress shirts, seems to get results in this Sophisticated Town!

With a little personality, the World is Yours for the Taking !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Yes they do, and with size 15 shoes, you might also need to shop here before your trip to the DR, because they don't sell these sizes here either......

Condomania Online | Large Size Condoms Sampler

jajajaja!!

Thank-God we live in a world where by, Sankie Grande = Tourist's

If you want a local chica, you have to know the sexual technique which is called being "Porkchopped".....This technique is more sought after than the "Venus Butterfly"

I wish you the best of luck as these girls here cannot handle the big Bamboo!

Unless they are from......:chinese:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To the Original Poster:

From time to time you can find XXL shirts as some of the shops. You might even find size 15 shoes, but it would take a lot of luck, IMO. I am 13 and never buy here.

I think you would do best buying from one of the catalogs that cater to us Large People.

You could have the shoes shipped to a friend in MIami and pick the up on your way back...or something of the sort. Just don't come where without clothes because large naked men tend to get picked up and thrown into jail...

HB

cuas

May 29, 2006
Many years ago while in college one of my female friend size 4 ordered her shoes at the store. Size 4 was hard to find by then and she liked high heels and whenever a new style came out and she wanted it the store owner/manager ordered it and it was made specially for her but this was in Santo Domingo. I am talking about Dominican shoes. Maybe you can try the same where you will staying. Go to a shoe store and ask them if they can order a particular shoe that you like for you in your size.
My friends had all the style she wanted and she was a shoe lover.
Good luck.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Take a day trip to Santiago, head to Los Muchachos located at calle el Sol...
There they'll either have the correct size of shoes you need or have them delivered to them after you prepaid for the order.

There are plenty of shoe stores that will cater to your needs in Santiago (me being a US 12 since 17yo). My shoes where always handy on order for me!

Most shoe's stores in Santiago have their own supply "artesanos" that fabricate anything pictured with 180 degrees shots on both sides of any magazine's page (one was located in Los Pepines if bad I recall).

When buying shoes the rule is to check the upper inner material (ribs), if the material is not leather on the inside it's bound to be cheap leather on the outside.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
On the website to which I referred, they have shirts that equal anything other than bespoke, and their shoes aren't too shabby either...... Now you just need to either get a mailing service membership, or find a pal who already has it set up. The shipping from Miami may run about US$40 or $50 for 6 shirts and 4 pairs of shoes, and no duty, which isn't too bad.

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
Normally stay on the north cost ? however traveling to Santaigo is no problem.
I know Gasper H, Sosua, and much of Peurto Plata ? but where on earth do you find decent clothes and shoes?

I am coming back for 2 weeks quite shortly and will be looking to buy shoes and shirts ? but in the past have never found a place that fits unless I want the baseball look?

In the UK I have size 15 feet ? don?t know how that translates into US size, and Im guessing from the old photos that I have seen I would be the same size as CC when he was a big guy.

Ive seen large Dominican men ? but where on earth do they shop?

Just incase people think I am being cheap ? shoes in the UK for my size that are smart for work will cost anything in the region of ?120 upwards ? around 7000 pesos ? so I am looking to buy as many as my luggage allowance will allow!

Help from the ex pats is always much appreciated!

lol, I have the same issue! 6"3 220 but i have found some nice stuff in the centro plaza mall here in santo Domingo ENS quesquia

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Go to Hilda Plus store in Calle 16 de Agosto in downtown Santiago.
They carry only big and tall sizes for men, I wear a size 16 or 17 depending on the shoe and a 42 inche waits and I wear xxl or xxxl shirt side and they carry all those sizes.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
THanks to all that have responded.
But it leads me on to another question - is this where the larger watchieman would shop?
Does this mean that all large men from the North Coast travel to Santiago?

To the poster who suggested a web site - the point is i want something from the DR - when at work i can look at my shoes ( If i bend a little ) and remember why I am working!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Size 15, XXL, pants w/ a 36" inseam........in the DR? ja ja ja ja ja ja They laugh when I walk into a store and tout those numbers....

Casual Male is great mate! Also, if you stop in Florida hit Dillard's Big and Tall Department. Forget Mens' Warehouse, they cant tailor anything right!

As far as local girls go....you'll be inundated! The like walking with grandote (el gringo gigante) and making their girlfriends jealous. They'll be quite accomodating as well...you won't need any "moves", those are for those short guys who can't reach the "back 40 uncharted territories"....

Don't listen to the height challanged majority here...you've known it your whole life, when us big guys walk in, we own the room and whoever we want....go to Ahi-bar or TGIFriday's and TAKE whomever you want with you when you leave....just size your hands against theirs, point down at your feet and watch, they'll dump the under 6' chopos (and wanna-bees) in a heartbeat......you'll see.

DON'T wear polo shirts cuz everyone else does...upscale it a bit....."Cuz every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man....." ZZ Top

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
THanks to all that have responded.
But it leads me on to another question - is this where the larger watchieman would shop?
Does this mean that all large men from the North Coast travel to Santiago?

To the poster who suggested a web site - the point is i want something from the DR - when at work i can look at my shoes ( If i bend a little ) and remember why I am working!

Just go to Hilda Plus store in Santiago, there you'll find what you need.
They have everything for big and tall guys.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
santiago is a place to shop for you, my dear friendly giant. sharp suits and shirts you can have tailor made in puerto plata - may be better than ordering them online. prices may be slightly more expensive but at least you will get a great fit.
i wonder - can you get hand-made shoes in POP as well? never inquired about that...

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
jajajajaja, sorry wishingiwasthere. I had visions of you moving here, and stuffing your suitcase full of those expensive London shoes fearing you couldn't get shoes here! (I did that when I moved to the DR).

Look for a shoemaker. There are lots who used to work in the old shoefactories, and I'll bet they would be happy to get some shoes that are easier to build, with lots of room inside to do their thing. As for shirts, no idea. I don't shop in stores, I go "click, click, click" and it shows up next week for me.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Porkchopped? Venus Butterfly? What in the world are you talking about?

These comments are all sexual in nature and I appologize if I have offended any one on this form.

I live in Sosua so figure the source

The Venus Butterfly was from an old episode on LA Law where the Markowitz character....

Being porkchopped was a term that came from a local aquaintence and rib cooker. Not so bad by the way !

I am having allot of fun here and drink more than I should and do nothing Tourist Related...

So what's next ! ?