Western Union

hope1

May 5, 2007
I was wondering if anyone has used Western Union to send money.
If I sent money from Canada to the DR by Westeren Union what % do you pay for the service?
Is there a better way to send money?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I sent money from Canada to the DR by Westeren Union what % do you pay for the service?
It depends on the amount, but you can count on it being somewhere close to 12%.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Yes, try searching your local yellowpages for "envios". The best places are where the latinos use like in a small bodega, etc.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, try searching your local yellowpages for "envios". The best places are where the latinos use like in a small bodega, etc.
The OP is in Canada and not likely to find Latino bodegas around, but there are DR1 members who have info on other money transfer services that cost less than W.U.
I think that Rubio Higuey has some contact info.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The OP is in Canada and not likely to find Latino bodegas around, but there are DR1 members who have info on other money transfer services that cost less than W.U.
I think that Rubio Higuey has some contact info.

It will depend on the city. Toronto I know has a very large hispanic community. Also, if it is anything like the States, even mid size towns will have a large enough population of Mexicans to have an envio business.

A

apostropheman

Chip, It's really not like the US at all in this case.

Here's a link to the online Canadian yellow pages
invis in Toronto, ON | Canpages
searching for "envios" in Toronto.

As you can see there are none listed. That's not to say that they do not exist but...

Any small Latin stores offering services to send money have been, in my experience, mostly Western Union. I have sought out many of these businesses, just to practice my poor Spanish and see what they have to sell, and have not seen anything else offered. There are not many of these stores either, at least in the cities I have looked in and they do not even resemble the bodegas in NYC that I have seen.

I've read of here of some people suggesting alternatives to WU but do not know anyone that regularly uses them or any Dominicans that receive money by any other service than WU.
It will depend on the city. Toronto I know has a very large hispanic community. Also, if it is anything like the States, even mid size towns will have a large enough population of Mexicans to have an envio business.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, It's really not like the US at all in this case.

Here's a link to the online Canadian yellow pages
invis in Toronto, ON | Canpages
searching for "envios" in Toronto.

As you can see there are none listed. That's not to say that they do not exist but...

Any small Latin stores offering services to send money have been, in my experience, mostly Western Union. I have sought out many of these businesses, just to practice my poor Spanish and see what they have to sell, and have not seen anything else offered. There are not many of these stores either, at least in the cities I have looked in and they do not even resemble the bodegas in NYC that I have seen.

I've read of here of some people suggesting alternatives to WU but do not know anyone that regularly uses them or any Dominicans that receive money by any other service than WU.

At least in Toronto, there appear to be quite a few options, see link below from TorontoDominicano.com - Juntos somos fuertes - Website Dominicano de Toronto

envios - Buscar con Google

Mar 2, 2008
Try iKobo. They issue a debit card to recipient. The cost is $5 for up to $500. At $500is amounts to a 1% cost.

Once it is set up it is very easy to use, everything is handled on-line. It takes less than a minute to send money, and it is instantly available.

I use it to send money to myself when I'm there. It is actually cheaper than using a regular debit card (depending on the amount sent, of course.) It's cheap, fast, and simple. All the information is on-line.

A

apostropheman

Looks like a lot or "remodeling" being done on the site but in reality not a whole lot of viable options.

Thanks anyway but again in my experience while living in Toronto while there may be other options than WU offered in stores or other physical locations they are few, far between and not necessarily any better or cheaper.
At least in Toronto, there appear to be quite a few options, see link below from TorontoDominicano.com - Juntos somos fuertes - Website Dominicano de Toronto

I do see that Windeguy and catcherintherye have offered other, online, suggestions that may be worth a closer look :D

A

apostropheman

Thanks
Xoom.com is less expensive than Western Union, can be done online and has an option to send to Caribe Express as well as a DR bank.
I looked at Xoom in the past and it didn't seem to be significantly cheaper but then again, any savings is a good thing as long as it is safe and convenient on both ends.
Try iKobo. They issue a debit card to recipient. The cost is $5 for up to $500. At $500is amounts to a 1% cost.

Once it is set up it is very easy to use, everything is handled on-line. It takes less than a minute to send money, and it is instantly available.

I use it to send money to myself when I'm there. It is actually cheaper than using a regular debit card (depending on the amount sent, of course.) It's cheap, fast, and simple. All the information is on-line.
I've never heard of iKobo but it looks like an excellent option.

Thanks again, I'll have to check it out. I'm looking for a better, less expensive way to send $$ to myself while in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Looks like a lot or "remodeling" being done on the site but in reality not a whole lot of viable options.

Thanks anyway but again in my experience while living in Toronto while there may be other options than WU offered in stores or other physical locations they are few, far between and not necessarily any better or cheaper.I do see that Windeguy and catcherintherye have offered other, online, suggestions that may be worth a closer look :D

Here's a list of the businesses I found:

Santo Domingo Express. Direccion: 2885 Jane st. # 19 Yorkwoods Plaza, 2 luces al sur de Finch.

Latino Communication Service. Siriviendo a la comunidad junto a su familia
3326 keele 2do piso unidad 103. (Esquina de Sheppard)
Tel. 416.630.6024
9 milvan Dr ( Plasa Milvan )
Finch al norte de Weston.
Tel. 416.745.4940

PERALTA BROS. SHIPPING
416.722.4107 o 416.859.2042

And here is one I found in the yellow pages:

AAA Vigo Money Transfer - Delivery Express
Money Transfer, Vigo, Envio de Dinero Toronto
Tel: 416-273-2743 |2916 Dundas Street West, Toronto, ON, M6P 1Y8

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Chip,
That's just one website and it's not even a money transfer biz, it's for packages, where people group packages together that all get sent in one container.
So it's not "quite a few" options, in fact, it's not even one, unless you're planning on sending so much cash that you're stuffing it into a box and sending it by container the "2nd of March? would that be '09?
TORONTODOMINICANO.COM:
Envios de paquetes a Dominicana. PERALTA BROS. SHIPPING Se acerca la proxima salida a Rep. Dominicana el gran especial de: mandre 2 cajas 24x24x24 por solo $300 basado en efectos personales, saliendo 1ra semana de Marzo. Ultimo dia de recojida 2 de Marzo...La fomra mas confiable para enviar tus paquetes Desde canada hacia Dominicanama M?s info llamar a Maximo 416.722.4107 o Antonio a 416.859.2042. El 2 de marzo ultimo dia de recogida!

Now we do understand that you Yankee Doodles don't know Jack Shyte about Canada, but you don't have to argue with us, that you do.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just use XOOM.com Works great, it's cheap, etc...

Better yet, before you send any money read the sanky pages on this forum...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,
That's just one website and it's not even a money transfer biz, it's for packages, where people group packages together that all get sent in one container.
So it's not "quite a few" options, in fact, it's not even one, unless you're planning on sending so much cash that you're stuffing it into a box and sending it by container the "2nd of March? would that be '09?
TORONTODOMINICANO.COM:
Envios de paquetes a Dominicana. PERALTA BROS. SHIPPING Se acerca la proxima salida a Rep. Dominicana el gran especial de: mandre 2 cajas 24x24x24 por solo $300 basado en efectos personales, saliendo 1ra semana de Marzo. Ultimo dia de recojida 2 de Marzo...La fomra mas confiable para enviar tus paquetes Desde canada hacia Dominicanama M?s info llamar a Maximo 416.722.4107 o Antonio a 416.859.2042. El 2 de marzo ultimo dia de recogida!

Now we do understand that you Yankee Doodles don't know Jack Shyte about Canada, but you don't have to argue with us, that you do.

Sorry Rocky, but there are still other options as I noted. In fact, I called Peralta Bros and they hope to have envios soon, and the highly recommend Vigo.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as what I know about Canadiens, I know they've got great pancake syrup, people live in igloos, policeman wear funny uniforms, the English speaking ones all sound like they're from Wisconsin and the French speaking ones I've met are ornery and cuss like sailors. ;)

What else do I need to know? :paranoid:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here's a list of the businesses I found:

Santo Domingo Express. Direccion: 2885 Jane st. # 19 Yorkwoods Plaza, 2 luces al sur de Finch. Disfunctional website that gives you a blank page when attempting to get their list of offices. Welcome to Adobe GoLive 5

Latino Communication Service. Siriviendo a la comunidad junto a su familia
3326 keele 2do piso unidad 103. (Esquina de Sheppard)
Tel. 416.630.6024
9 milvan Dr ( Plasa Milvan )
Finch al norte de Weston.
Tel. 416.745.4940 An American communication company?

PERALTA BROS. SHIPPING
416.722.4107 o 416.859.2042 The same package shipping company, mentioned above.

And here is one I found in the yellow pages:

AAA Vigo Money Transfer - Delivery Express
Money Transfer, Vigo, Envio de Dinero Toronto
Tel: 416-273-2743 |2916 Dundas Street West, Toronto, ON, M6P 1Y8
Never trust or do business with a company that calls itself AAA or AAAA in a feeble attempt to get business by way of being alphabetically first, but especially if said business, doesn't even have a website.

Either someone can suggest from experience a money transfer company in Canada that serves the DR, or it would be better to stick with W.U. and be sure.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As far as what I know about Canadiens, I know they've got great pancake syrup, people live in igloos, policeman wear funny uniforms, the English speaking ones all sound like they're from Wisconsin and the French speaking ones I've met are ornery and cuss like sailors. ;)

What else do I need to know? :paranoid:
Nothing at all.
We like keeping you guys out of the loop, in case y'all decide to invade us again and we have to kick your butts all the way back to Washington DC.
In the meantime, leave the Canadian counseling to the Canadians.

A

apostropheman

So, that's 1 out of how many that you offered? ;)

Interestingly I see no mention of Canada on the Vigo site. :cheeky:

Vigo money transfer locations

U.S. Market coverage with a network of over 4,000 agents
Worldwide coverage:

• Over 9,000 payment locations in Mexico
  • Central America: Costa Rica, El Salvador Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama
  • South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela
  • Caribbean: Dominican Republic, Haiti and Jamaica
  • Europe: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhastan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan
  • Africa: Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Sierra Leone
  • Asia: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Philippines
and Mexico and the US seem to be their major focus :ermm::bunny::bunny:

Agent Network - Vigo Money Transfer - recognized as the best international money transfer company in the world

Not that it really matters.

The point is that while there are options there are not all that many, especially in a physical location, In most Canadian locations, but there are a few online options for those that choose to consider them.

I don't feel the need to continue to prove you wrong but just to try and provide accurate and potentially useful information for the OP and others curious about their options.
Sorry Rocky, but there are still other options as I noted. In fact, I called Peralta Bros and they hope to have envios soon, and the highly recommend Vigo.

Mar 2, 2008
Rocky,
I did offer a suggestion quite some time ago on this thread. It is by far superior to Western Union in terms of efficiency, cost, timeliness, and convenience. As I mentioned, everything is handled on-line so it is quick and easy.

I have no intention of becoming involved in the new Canada/US War. I know when to play it safe. However, please don't become so involved in the war that you overlook the other postings, some of which might be very useful.