Casa Marina Van Crash 3 or 4 Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Friday the Van transporting the workers from Casa Marina crashed near Sosua Abajo.

Reports are sketchy but there were three or four that died.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Friday the Van transporting the workers from Casa Marina crashed near Sosua Abajo.

Reports are sketchy but there were three or four that died.
So sad.
It would seem that bus, van (guagua) and public car drivers have no concern whatsoever for safety.
They are the #1 menace on the road, other than motoconchos, but at least they just bounce off the windshield and are generally not fatal to their victims.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Very sad, more info, en espanol... sacandomelao: Accidente deja 1 muerto y 7 empleados heridos Hotel Casa Marina

If I'm reading correctly, the driver of a large truck claims to have been trying to avoid another vehicle causing him to run into the back of the Casa Marina bus.

Photos of the accident scene here. accidente guagua Casa Marina y camion Grupo Princesa (4) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's what I heard - my friend rang me yesterday to tell me. It seems the bus had stopped to let a lady off and the truck thing went straight into the back of it. The lad that died used to work in the bakery in Sabana Grande.
Another tragic loss of life.
Rio

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
At least there is only one dead. I was told more, but happily that was wrong.

The truck driver was at fault from the photos, but these Vans need to pull over more to the side. They just stop in the road a lot.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Question? Does anyone happen to know who the person was that lost his life in that terrible crash last Friday.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Question? Does anyone happen to know who the person was that lost his life in that terrible crash last Friday.

I can find out for you if it is important - I know he was a 19 year old that used to work in the bakery in Sabana Grande and moved on to a job in Casa Marina Reef. My friend used to work with him.

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Deceased is Mart?n Guillermo Binet, 28 (according to El Faro), aka Nafthalie who lived in Torre Alta & died in Centro Medico (Clinica Bournigal). Newspaper report here but be advised there are photos of the dead man which some might find distressing. Names of the injured are also in the report. In the print version of El Faro it is on page 5.
Periodico El Faro - Muere uno y cinco resultan heridos accidente entre cami?n y autob?s

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The truck owner should be jailed too. The driver reports that the gear shift stick broke off and that the brakes did not respond. He is most likely guilty, not just for the accident but for having driven a vehicle he must have know had no brakes... yet, the owners of unsafe vehicles should be treated as equally guilty if not more.
All that, if the "story" is anywhere somewhat true.

... J-D.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Marina Van Crash 3 or 4 Dead

Thanks for your responses. I was able to get in touch with my friend there, and I sent my condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.