Best prices for airfare

zephyr1957

Mar 17, 2006
Hi!

The prices for airfare have risen, including the fact that my last trip to DR was about 2 years ago.

The ticket from JFK (New York) to Santiago has gone from about $400 to almost $800.

Any cues about where to buy for a better price.

Thanks,

Pierre

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
Hi!

The prices for airfare have risen, including the fact that my last trip to DR was about 2 years ago.

The ticket from JFK (New York) to Santiago has gone from about $400 to almost $800.

Thanks,

Pierre

Sorry i dont have the number now, but i will try to find it for you. I used this company located in CA when i went to Indonesia all the time and that trip costed me 875.00 including hotel. it was always the same price for about 4 years straight. So i know with the gas price and food price going up may now effect all of these flights, but its worth a shot. I'll post back when i find the contact.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
sad but true. i just checked AA.com and the best i can find from JFK to SDQ was 589 (includes tax) and that was economy super saver with a stop each way in miami. fares are way up and not likely to go down. now figure a mom and dad, a kid or two, gas to and fro airport, parking, 15 bucks for the first bag, 25 for the second and we're talking some serious money. this has got to hurt the DR economy. probably not too bad for euros.
over the years i've tried cheap tix.com, travelocity, kayak.com and i always wind up on american anyway. it is really hard to beat them price wise.

Tmarley1016

May 21, 2008
Check Spirit Airlines you can join the $9 and they email sales got a round trip ticket in May for 146.00 from Ft. Lauderdale to Santo Domingo including tax.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i always book on orbitz.com. ive found that they continuously have the best prices on airfare. i booked my flights to the DR in february and april through them and got really good deals. i just recently booked from seattle, washington to SDQ for september and paid $550 taxes in! (with one stopover each way).

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hi!

Thanks,

Pierre

Yes, it is true that in short term higher air fare maybe hurts our narrow selfish interests and slow down businesses and income in the tourist industry.

But if we look at things from a unselfish, wide, historic and responsible point of view - higher prices help us to preserve this beautiful island and its ecology and environment reducing the number of tourists/visitors (i.e. pollution, overcrowding, noise, higher prices in RE and restaurants, influx of putas and sankies looking for both male and female sex tourists).

Very possible that the real advantages overweight some temporary inconveniences. Not true?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We've used Skyauction.com. Like Ebay but for travel. We've gotten some great deals. Hope this helps.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
unfortuneatly the economy of this country, and most in the world, is dependent upon all wheels of the machine doing their part, tourism, remittances from abroad, agriculture, mining, real estate, etc. if we screw with one wheel the whole machine suffers. if you think the electric is bad now, take the tourists out and the million dominicans that return to visit, this whole country will shut down. all those visitors eat a lot of dominican grown food and most of it doesn't come from megaconglomerate farms like in the US. are you suggesting it is a good idea to put a lot of small farmers, who may have never seen a tourist, out of work in order to have happy trees?

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
continental has had better flights than jetblue, just booked to POP $300 round trip from NY

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i just went all over the continental website and the best they can do is 548. didn't check for september, that could be lower, only checked for july and august.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Bought my tickets for August late Monday night. I've read that this is the best time to buy tickets. American Airlines, DCA to SDQ, $400 round-trip. By tuesday morning they'd jumped to $440.

I prefer to fly into STI, but the tickets are stupid expensive. Oh well. Guess I'll be on El Caribe bus tours.

Vince.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Bought my tickets for August late Monday night. I've read that this is the best time to buy tickets. American Airlines, DCA to SDQ, $400 round-trip. By tuesday morning they'd jumped to $440.

I prefer to fly into STI, but the tickets are stupid expensive. Oh well. Guess I'll be on El Caribe bus tours.

Vince.

If insted of obediently paying their shameless prices and fill their greedy pockets they will be boycotted just for one year - their behavior will change greatly. And all those misterious "government" taxes and surcharges will disapper in a moment.

So far they feel that they can abuse the stupid crowd at will and they do it.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Ooookay.....

If insted of obediently paying their shameless prices and fill their greedy pockets they will be boycotted just for one year - their behavior will change greatly. And all those misterious "government" taxes and surcharges will disapper in a moment.

Yeah. Everyone should stop flying for a year. Better yet, let's stop driving as well. We'll show those greedy oil companies!

Listen, no one is going to do that! Those that can afford to pay the higher prices will continue to do so. And those that can't will opt for the Lower Cost Carriers. Plain and simple.

And those that can do neither will sit in front of their computers and post crazy ramblings all day. LOL!!!

Vince.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

First, please be careful about how you phrase things. Great offense will be taken if you refer, directly or otherwise, to my friend Vince as a member of the "stupid crowd." :pirate:

Second, the boycott idea doesn't work in a global context. Americans boycott Cuba, but folks from the other 193 nations tend to love vacationing there. The airlines would merely reduce service (as they have already), until conditions improve.

Third, the DR government has already agreed to a substantial reduction of fees in response to the pullbacks by continental, delta and american. They've as much an interest in maintaining full planes of tourists as anyone else.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
First, please be careful about how you phrase things. Great offense will be taken if you refer, directly or otherwise, to my friend Vince as a member of the "stupid crowd." :pirate:

Second, the boycott idea doesn't work in a global context. Americans boycott Cuba, but folks from the other 193 nations tend to love vacationing there. The airlines would merely reduce service (as they have already), until conditions improve.

Third, the DR government has already agreed to a substantial reduction of fees in response to the pullbacks by continental, delta and american. They've as much an interest in maintaining full planes of tourists as anyone else.

Of course Vince is not! I respect and love him too.
Excuse my imperfect wording.

What was meant - how we ALL look (including myself of course) in the eyes of oil/gasoline and air companies keeping obediently paying and paying and paying whatever they decide to charge at will. Bragging that we are rich enough to pay ANY prices. That only those cheap europeans try to save and go on national strike against price increases. We will pay whatever we are told. Because we are rich and strong.

I hope my humble apology and clarification will be accepted by respected Vince and by all other good people.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
best prices

there is NO such thing as best prices for a certain airline. Each airline has aprox 7 or more price structures for the same airplane, same flight. They adjust it up or down according to their bookage at any particular time or date before the flight.
they also monitor the competition and will sometimes adjust their pricing daily or sometimes even more.

I come to dr regular from the toronto area. every time i go i check prices for all airlines from toronto, buffalo and detroit. it is the only way to really get close to the best prices at any time.

the tour companies only offer one and two week stays. and their fees and taxes are more.

my best price lately was in feb. (high season) for a return trip for 3 weeks to pop from detroit by american. price inc. taxes $376.

now i am going in july and best prices incl taxes is westjet (a direct flight too)
for $633. (five minutes after i booked the price was up $140. I probably was the last one at that price level and then went to next fare up. In comparison, american, continental were all near or a bit above the $800.

compare each flight each time to get best prices