Suicide in DR

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I received an email yesterday from a good friend that someone very close to him committed suicide in Sosua. This is so sad, a young man with a family, a good man--I just saw him in April and he was his usual happy self. I have met him several times and his death is so tragic and sad to me.

My question is this, in DR society will his death be treated with respect or is there dishonour associated with suicide?

Is there a wake and a funeral in DR culture, are flowers sent?

Another question--the mother of the children is in another country...what will happen to the children?

Thank you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Another question--the mother of the children is in another country...what will happen to the children?
Family members take over right away.
Dominicans are so very family oriented that it's almost instinctive to take care of the kids, even if they are not the fruit of your loins.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Yes they do have a wake and you can send flowers. Usually, the funeral is the same day or next day especially if the family is poor and can't afford the funeral cost.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as said before - funeral is usually a day after death and so is the wake so you may be too late with flowers - dominicans are not too concerned with decorations of the grave anyways. you'd do better sending them some food, maybe, if family is poor?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
canbon

>>>My question is this, in DR society will his death be treated with respect or is there dishonour associated with suicide?<<<

His death will be treated like any other death, family will cry and grief.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Since the DR is predominantly Catholic, my guess is the catechism of the Roman Catholic church would influence how people and the community look on suicide. It's considered a mortal sin, isn't it? And even if they aren't practicing Catholics, this would shape how they see suicide. Is there a high incidence of suicide in the DR?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Since the DR is predominantly Catholic, my guess is the catechism of the Roman Catholic church would influence how people and the community look on suicide. It's considered a mortal sin, isn't it? And even if they aren't practicing Catholics, this would shape how they see suicide?
That hasn't been my experience.

I had a Dominican friend whose young brother committed suicide. They were practicing (Dominican style) Catholics. There was no talk of the him committing a sin. They only talked of him dying so young (he was about 20 years old), with his entire life in front of him.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Since the DR is predominantly Catholic, my guess is the catechism of the Roman Catholic church would influence how people and the community look on suicide. It's considered a mortal sin, isn't it? And even if they aren't practicing Catholics, this would shape how they see suicide. Is there a high incidence of suicide in the DR?

From what I understand (I am and was raised a strict Catholic) it used to be the Church would not perform a funeral mass for the person. However, I belive they have changed that stance, probably after the 2nd Vatican council.

My heart goes out to this family, I have 3 children myself and I can't imagine the pain they must be feeling.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Rest in Peace

I will sure miss his smiling face and big hugs the next time I go there. For anyone that prays, please say one for his beautiful little children. He is someone I will never forget--I am thankful to have pictures of all of us laughing together. Rest in Peace Raul.

~Your Canadian Friend~

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for a catholic country DR is supposed to be there is surely a lot of adultery, no?

dominicans seem to be perfectly capable of marrying (so to speak) religion with reality, suicide may be a sin in theory but in practice but it is mostly just a sad loss.
i only know one family who lost someone to suicide and there is no social stigma involved but no one ever talks about it. come to think of it people do not evoke dead much unless the deceased was old and died after a fruitful life.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
my condolences to hisfamily and friends....suicide is the most difficult death to deal with in my opinion. I had a good friend do this in high school....we still wonder how we could not how deep his pain went....I think that will be forever

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
tragic. if someone you know seems a bit "out of it" lately and they start giving away their possessions, favorite jacket, money, jewels, animals, get some help right away. you might save a life.