Budweiser vs. Presidente...which do you think costs more in the DR?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That makes sense since nobody drinks Budweiser in The DR. I remember I was once at a place in The DR where they had a two for one special on Budweiser and even then they weren't selling, because people thought it tasted like water with pi$$.

Now why does Miller sell at a premium when in fact they are pretty much the same crappy kind of beer? That's an example of great advertisement and market positioning. It probably doesn't hurt that Miller is distributed by Presidente's parent company.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was in the Playero Supermarket in Sosua yesterday. Bud and Budlight were 205 pesos per six pack and Presidente was.. 255!! :ninja:
Well, it doesn't make sense to me.
The import should be way more expensive, IMHO, if for no other reason, the transport and taxes.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i can be corrected on this but i've never really seen anyone ever drinking Budweiser at a bar/club, beach or anywhere.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Cheap Bud....

I was in the Playero Supermarket in Sosua yesterday. Bud and Budlight were 205 pesos per six pack and Presidente was.. 255!! :ninja:

Not that this is usually a problem in the DR, but could it have been nearing its sell by date and being sold off cheaply?

:ermm:

Rio

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not that this is usually a problem in the DR, but could it have been nearing its sell by date and being sold off cheaply?

:ermm:

Rio
Actually, that wouldn't be the least bit surprising.
Maybe even Budweiser exporting some less than adequate inventory?
They manage to send us defective Duracells, so why not beer too?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
when ordering stock for a large supermarket chain, outside the US, no one sits at a desk writing a list, case of this, 3 cases of that. foodstuffs are bought by mixed truckload/container, gimme 2 containers for example. these are packed by a giant wholesale exporter and will contain a wide variety of products. that is why you see some rather strange amounts of a product and equally out of whack pricing at times. i have found A-1 steak sauce at half the price of what it sells for in the states. so a container going to the DR will probably contain beer because the exporter doesn't differentiate when it comes to where the container is going. it will most likely contain cigars as well.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
It is always tough to get the thought of those imported beers cooking in a container on a dock in Haina for a week or two. Also, the born on dates on some of them are pretty ridiculous- like 7-8 months sometimes..

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm not sure what you call it in the DR but i have tasted some skunky presidente's in my time....

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Im sure there's a reason for the Bud being "on sale"...but it still baffles me that the local beer here is so expensive...even more than possibly slightly aged Imported. if AmBev can sell Brahma for almost half the price of Presidente...why can't they (Cerveceria/Presidente) lower their price???

I know, I know.."because they don't have to..." but still....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ambev is only doing that because they are desperately trying to take away market share from Presidente. A very large part of the cost of the beer is government taxes, which they all pay so that tells you right there Ambev is flooding the market with low prices in the hope people will get used to their brands. That along with the introduction of many brands is normally their strategy when they go into a market and it usually works.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
presidente at best is ok,and i've had more then my share of skunky ones.
They don't come that way from Presidente.
It's the bar staff who don't have a clue about rotation.
They look at you like you're from another planet, when you tell them to do it.
Eventually they get down to the old stock one day and they're all skunky by then.
The supermarkets are not much better at rotating either, so it's a double whammy.
If you buy direct from Presidente and rotate your stock, you'll never get skunk beer.