Finding used books and paperbacks in English

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
What is the best way to find secondhand books and paperbacks in English in and around the Sosua area? Mail charges are so hefty that even trying to buy books on ebay and other used books sites is no bargain. I'm quite willing to pay a fair price...but where are the potential "booksellers"? Would like classics as well as contemporary fiction and non-fiction. No science fiction. Any ideas?

Aug 21, 2007
Several of us trade books among us.....both sof and hardcover. If you have something good to offer, I would be willing to swap. PM me and perhaps we can work something out.

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Cafe Pitu in Caberete has a place for book swap
I think PJ's in Sosua has one as well
Might not be all that you are looking for but I have found it not to bad so far

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
We have a small book exchange here at Las Canas. You are welcome to peruse what we have and drop off whatever you care to trade.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
If you contact me by email or PM we can arrange to get together. I have hundreds here in Puerto PLata......

And I am willing to exhange books with anyone.....

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
bookworms....

I always have two or three of the latest paperbacks to give away at the end of my trips if anyone is interested ?
I can drop them off in the POP area.
Next trip August .........
have I mentioned that already.....lol
;)
Rio

Bill's Books

Hi there!

I am a fan of Bill's Books here in Cabarete. They have tricky hours - they are open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, in the afternoon, I think it's like 3pm - 6pm.

Also they will be on vacation for some weeks in July, so go fast and stock up!

They are located just before the Windchime condos (coming from Sosua), on the beach side of the street. They have a small sign which they put out when they are open.

They offer sales as well as rentals of books. Good variety and Karen who runs the place is friendly and helpful.

Enjoy!

Laurel

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The Kellogg Library

Oh how I feel for you, my friends! I used to wander around Las Terrenas from one hotel lobby to another, looking for books. Of course, LT had a lot more French and Italian books than English- even a good French library. But I did want to remind you all that here in the Capital we do have an English library with 6000 titles-- including kid?s books (strictly called juveniles). There is usually a big book sale the first of the months but some books stay out all month.

If there are some plans afoot to start a little English library or something of the sort, perhaps there could be an arrangement made with this library.. I know that they have lots of books donated every year.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
try ebook readers

Try applying a little technology to the problem.

I recently bought an ebook reader (google it). You can download books for pennies on the dolllar, and receive them instantly, rather than through the mail. No freight, no wait.

Of course, if you know where to look, you can also download them gratis, but that's up to you.

Sony makes an ebook reader, and amazon is flogging one as well. I have this one, and recommend it:

Bookeen - Cybook ePaper - the eBook reading device

As it is not a computer screen but rather e-paper (read up on it) it's actually quite easy on the eyes. Nothing beats the feeling of turning a page, or flipping back to a page you really like, but this makes up for it in portability, storage, convenience and savings.

Perfect for those of us in the DR with limited (or expensive) access to books.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

joe

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Hi,

I have about 70 second hand (but in very good condition) books that I would like to give to a good home. They are all English and all fiction (I think!). I need the space and therefore, whoever is interested, needs to take all of them! I am in the Sosua/Cabarete area.

Please pm me if you are interested or want more details.

Thanks

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I too have lots of books to give away. Many are hard cover, some soft. Most are fiction; just for enjoyment. I was planning to just drop them off at different resorts, but if anyone is interested in taking them, please PM me and we can arrange to meet. I'm in Puerto Plata.

Alexwo1

Mar 2, 2008
There is a used book store in puerto plata very close to the Caribbean tours bus station. They have alot of english books-and will let you trade books for free.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Kellogg Library and book sale

But I did want to remind you all that here in the Capital we do have an English library with 6000 titles-- including kid?s books (strictly called juveniles). There is usually a big book sale the first of the months but some books stay out all month.QUOTE]

Where, oh where, is this library and English book sale in the capital????

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The HK Library is on Avenida Independencia in Gazcue, behind the Anglican church, opposite the communist party HQ. No phone but if you PM me I can put you in touch with one of the volunteers.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
Books in English1`

There is a book exchange at Sam's Bar & Grill, Puerto Plata, Bring one, Take one. Joanne

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
The City of York Bistro in Ocean Dream Plaza has now started selling second-hand books. Buy for RD$50 or exchange for RD$25.