Police Certificate for Immigration Canada

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
My husband picked up the original of the Birth/Marriage/police certificate today along with the translated version. The Marriage and Birth have been certified but the Police Certificate is not. I know we have to send the original of that with the translated certified version, however does the original from the police have to be certified as well?

We want to go early in the morning to certify all three or possibly all four. Also do we pay at the bank first the impuestos the take it to forgien affairs for the certification?

Thanks for any quick replies!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Be sure to make many many copies of everything you are sending in. 6 months down the road they will ask for many of these things because they either lose them or want to see if you can reproduce the same pile of papers.

This has been the experience many are having lately so get lots of copies including the applications.

I'm sure someone will answer your other questions soon.

Don't forget to get a letter explaining the reason why he was registered so late.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
All the documents have to be in english.

if you need to have them translated from spanish to english, they have to be done by a certified translator.

as far as i understand they dont have to be notarized....but they do have to be stamped or signed by the certified translator.

my documents were prepared in the following format...hopefully it is correct!

3 part package for each document:

1st page
- a document outlining the information of the translator certifying the translation is legal, correct etc.

2nd page
- a copy of the original document stamped & signed that it is a true copy.

3rd page
- the translation

all 3 pages are stapled together and the top right corner is folded down so that the official stamp covers all three pages.

each page is also stamped and signed to be legitimate.

i am sure there are a few different ways this can be done.

i had mine done through the multicultural center in my city.

hope this helps
sangria

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
sorry i forgot to add that the police certificate should be stamped & signed from the police station as being an official document.

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
I called the Embassy today..finally got through..the original stamped Police certificate does not need to be certified only the Translated original must be certified.

They also told me that the Birth/Marriage certificate that is translated needs to be certified at the Forgien Affairs office for Immigration to consider them legal, they can not only be stamped by the translator. They need both.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Sherri,
you got through to Haiti Embassy? And someone spoke to you? Wow!! I called to ask for a clarification about the letter they sent my husband and when I got an answer the woman promptly told me they could not tell me anything about a file and before I could respond she transferred me to a voicemail that says you cannot leave a message.

My marriage certificate and husband's birth certificate were stamped by the Oficial Estado Civil. The translated copies have the translators information at the top - that he is a Legal translator of Puerto Plata. Then his statement that he certifies the document, then the translation is written. It is stamped twice by the translator.

Is this the foreign affairs office they are referring to?

FYI,
I sent an original birth certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate. My husband was subsequently asked to submit a copy of the birth certificate and an original of the marriage certificate that we submitted. There was nothing in his letter stating these were not legal documents. As per Anna's comment it may have been to prove we could reproduce either of those documents. I know of other's who have received the same or similar requests.

Jo-Anne

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Johana,

our original marriage certificate is stamped by the Oficial Estado Civil ... twice on the
front (one signed by the judge).

the birth certificate had to be reissued as my husbands original was in bad condition...the new one is stamped twice...one on the front and one label on the back with a barcode...stamped, signed by 2 people and dated the day it was reissued.

is this the same as what you submitted? I have no idea who else would have to sign these documents as they are issued from a government office.

Sangria