Does anyone know of a gym in POP?? How much?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Sun Village! Costambar?

There is a very nice, small gym w A/C @ Sun Village, a 4* resort @ Playa Cofresi; expensive! I think of US $50 - 75 - 100 / mo; I forget the exact price. Very elegant with jacuzzis, hot tubs, saunas, etc.; + very modern equipment. Non guests are permitted to join the 'gym club'. Too expenisve?
Costambar? There is a much more modest & inexpensive gym in Costambar; I foget the name, 2 blocks from the beach. I think @ US $5 - 10 / month. No A/C; clean, with many expats working out @ 7 - 8 AM.
In the summer time exercise is very difficult in the DR. Stay with it! You're providing a positive example to us sedentary folk! Right on!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Non-gringo gym Calle Separacion near intersection with Antera Mota. No idea of cost - the only people I see coming out are males with 22 inch biceps and IQs fractionally larger...............;) Seriously, local gyms frequently have gender segregated sessions.

Some of the Playa Dorada hotels have fitness rooms.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Non-gringo gym Calle Separacion near intersection with Antera Mota. No idea of cost - the only people I see coming out are males with 22 inch biceps and IQs fractionally larger...............;) Seriously, local gyms frequently have gender segregated sessions.

The "non-gringo" gym is called "American Gym" :D
RD$ 1000.oo sign up
RD$ 500.oo/month
RD$ 30.oo or 50.oo per session, for non-members.

Slightly lower prices at the other "non-gringo" gyms in town (forgot that name but it's someones name +gym... like JayDee's gym).
Locations: a) between Caribe Tours and La Javilla, b) On Kuhardt next to the big fish wholesale place oposite to the "Liceo".
Looks? Rocky I!

None open on Sundays.

... J-D.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
My husband and I just re-joined the American Gym Fitness last week. We didn't have to pay any 1,000 peso fee to join; just the monthly fee of 500 pesos each. Now, perhaps that's because we had been members before, I don't know but I DO know that when we initially joined last year, we didn't pay any kind of joining fee at that time either. Check it out. It's friendly and the owner does speak English (he struggles a little but it's good enough for me).

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
My husband and I just re-joined the American Gym Fitness last week. We didn't have to pay any 1,000 peso fee to join; just the monthly fee of 500 pesos each. Now, perhaps that's because we had been members before, I don't know but I DO know that when we initially joined last year, we didn't pay any kind of joining fee at that time either. Check it out. It's friendly and the owner does speak English (he struggles a little but it's good enough for me).

Last year the sign up fee was 500.oo

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Slightly lower prices at the other "non-gringo" gyms in town (forgot that name but it's someones name +gym... like JayDee's gym).
Locations: a) between Caribe Tours and La Javilla, b) On Kuhardt next to the big fish wholesale place oposite to the "Liceo".
Looks? Rocky I! ... J-D.

Close ;) it's D'Fausto Gym - phone no. of location a) on Camino Real 809-261-4044 & b) on Kunhardt 809-261-6105.

Does Gimnasio Mr. Cibao on Luis Ginebra still exist? And what of the Lantigua Gym on JFKennedy?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

is it the one near funeraria and distributorio corripio?
500 pesos a month indeed, GOTTA HAVE A TOWEL. big letters coz it's a big deal there. if the OP is male he can use whatever equipment. females are "encouraged" to do spinning classes but building chest muscles is highly appreciated by other gym users. no AC which makes you burn about 20 times more calories ;) and shed few pounds of weight in sweat in less than hour. fun!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I found out today that the reason we didn't have to pay a 1,000 sign-up fee last year is because it was during a special. This month, that special is running again so until the end of June, there is no 1,000 pesos initial payment required; just 500 pesos per month. Bring a towel.