Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Does anyone know of a gym in POP?? How much?

    Does anyone know of a gym in POP?? How much?

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Sun Village! Costambar?

    There is a very nice, small gym w A/C @ Sun Village, a 4* resort @ Playa Cofresi; expensive! I think of US $50 - 75 - 100 / mo; I forget the exact price. Very elegant with jacuzzis, hot tubs, saunas, etc.; + very modern equipment. Non guests are permitted to join the 'gym club'. Too expenisve?
    Costambar? There is a much more modest & inexpensive gym in Costambar; I foget the name, 2 blocks from the beach. I think @ US $5 - 10 / month. No A/C; clean, with many expats working out @ 7 - 8 AM.
    In the summer time exercise is very difficult in the DR. Stay with it! You're providing a positive example to us sedentary folk! Right on!

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Non-gringo gym Calle Separacion near intersection with Antera Mota. No idea of cost - the only people I see coming out are males with 22 inch biceps and IQs fractionally larger............... Seriously, local gyms frequently have gender segregated sessions.

    Some of the Playa Dorada hotels have fitness rooms.

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Non-gringo gym Calle Separacion near intersection with Antera Mota. No idea of cost - the only people I see coming out are males with 22 inch biceps and IQs fractionally larger............... Seriously, local gyms frequently have gender segregated sessions.

    Some of the Playa Dorada hotels have fitness rooms.
    The "non-gringo" gym is called "American Gym"
    RD$ 1000.oo sign up
    RD$ 500.oo/month
    RD$ 30.oo or 50.oo per session, for non-members.


    Slightly lower prices at the other "non-gringo" gyms in town (forgot that name but it's someones name +gym... like JayDee's gym).
    Locations: a) between Caribe Tours and La Javilla, b) On Kuhardt next to the big fish wholesale place oposite to the "Liceo".
    Looks? Rocky I!


    None open on Sundays.


    ... J-D.

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile

    My husband and I just re-joined the American Gym Fitness last week. We didn't have to pay any 1,000 peso fee to join; just the monthly fee of 500 pesos each. Now, perhaps that's because we had been members before, I don't know but I DO know that when we initially joined last year, we didn't pay any kind of joining fee at that time either. Check it out. It's friendly and the owner does speak English (he struggles a little but it's good enough for me).

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trabajadora View Post
    My husband and I just re-joined the American Gym Fitness last week. We didn't have to pay any 1,000 peso fee to join; just the monthly fee of 500 pesos each. Now, perhaps that's because we had been members before, I don't know but I DO know that when we initially joined last year, we didn't pay any kind of joining fee at that time either. Check it out. It's friendly and the owner does speak English (he struggles a little but it's good enough for me).
    Last year the sign up fee was 500.oo

    ... J-D.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The two in downtown Puerto Plata are 500 pesos per month and the one near the Caribe Tours bus station is 300 pesos per month with no membership fee.

  8. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    Slightly lower prices at the other "non-gringo" gyms in town (forgot that name but it's someones name +gym... like JayDee's gym).
    Locations: a) between Caribe Tours and La Javilla, b) On Kuhardt next to the big fish wholesale place oposite to the "Liceo".
    Looks? Rocky I! ... J-D.
    Close it's D'Fausto Gym - phone no. of location a) on Camino Real 809-261-4044 & b) on Kunhardt 809-261-6105.

    Does Gimnasio Mr. Cibao on Luis Ginebra still exist? And what of the Lantigua Gym on JFKennedy?

  9. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Close it's D'Fausto Gym - phone no. of location a) on Camino Real 809-261-4044 & b) on Kunhardt 809-261-6105.

    Does Gimnasio Mr. Cibao on Luis Ginebra still exist? And what of the Lantigua Gym on JFKennedy?
    D' Fausto! That's it!
    There is still one on JFK... kind'a pre-Rocky I thou.

    ... J-D.

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Non-gringo gym Calle Separacion near intersection with Antera Mota. No idea of cost - the only people I see coming out are males with 22 inch biceps and IQs fractionally larger............... Seriously, local gyms frequently have gender segregated sessions.

    Some of the Playa Dorada hotels have fitness rooms.
    is it the one near funeraria and distributorio corripio?
    500 pesos a month indeed, GOTTA HAVE A TOWEL. big letters coz it's a big deal there. if the OP is male he can use whatever equipment. females are "encouraged" to do spinning classes but building chest muscles is highly appreciated by other gym users. no AC which makes you burn about 20 times more calories and shed few pounds of weight in sweat in less than hour. fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •