Going back to Canada to give birth

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
I am currently 6 months pregnant and i am returning to Canada in July for a week and then September 2 for a few months. I have not been back for 10 months now. I was planning on having the baby here in DR however I changed my mind considering the cost.

Does anyone know if there will be a problem with OHIP since i was away for that period? I dont need to go back to find out im not covered by OHIP and spend more than i would here. I am still considered a resident with all the necessary ties.

Any info is great. Sorry for asking so many questions recently but i leave in 2 weeks and its crunch time! :)

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
OHIP does not talk to Immigration and if you do not tell anyone that you have been out of the country, it is unlikely anyone will find out.

You can go to any walk-in clinic and get a doctor because as you are probably aware, getting a doctor is very difficult - especially ob/gyn's. You only have to say you don't have a doctor and someone will see you.

I think you said you were already booked and that is a good thing because some airlines (Air Canada) won't let you fly in your last trimester for security/health reasons.

If you have your OHIP card, just make sure it hasn't elapsed. If it has, just go to the nearest office to get it renewed. If asked, you just say you didn't notice it had elapsed.

You really shouldn't have any problems, unless you decide to divulge how long exactly you have been out of country.

P-A

Jun 14, 2008
Hi Sherri,

The Ministry of Health's website states that as a Canadian citizen you need to be present in Canada for 153 days in any 12 month period to receive coverage. I've included a link below that provides information for longer absences from the province, but as the first paragraph on the page indicates, your "permanent and principal home" must still be in Ontario to be eligible.

Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Public Information - Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan - Longer Absences from Ontario

Good luck :)

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
P-A is absolutely correct when he quotes the website. However, there is no way of them checking really and if you have an address in Canada - such as the one that is already attached to your OHIP card, then you won't have any problem.

I am often out of the country for much longer periods of time, since I live here in the DR. There have been times when I was home visiting and had to get medical attention and never had any problems of any kind. Mind you, I wasn't having a baby, but as long as you have a doctor and that doctor has hospital privileges, there shouldn't be any problem.

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
Thankfully i do have a gyn to see me. She has been my family doc for years. I have an appointment with her July 11. She told my mom that she maybe cant take care of me when i arrive for september but lets see. Anyway when i go into labor and go to the hospital what are they going to say..you have no designated doc..ok bye bye.. Thats wont happen..Thank God for Canada!

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
I wouldn't worry about it at all then. You have a doctor. You have an appointment to see her. And, of course, you are right - if you go into labour and present yourself at the hospital, they'll take care of you. Just bring your OHIP card! Good luck!

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Why is it that you feel you should get free health care? Ohip isnt actually free, as im sure you are well aware. We are all taxed to death for this "benefit". So my taxes will pay for your baby to be born here in Canada, while you live in the DR. IM not being critical to you, as you are probably doing what is best for your baby. But to only come back because you think it should be free, should not sit well with Canadians.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I'm just wondering what's cheaper, if that's the object. Remaining a resident of Canada, subject to their taxes worldwide just to maintain your slot in their system of socialized medicine (sounds like a slightly "upscale version" of the Dario Contreras Hospital in Santo Domingo), or getting one's legal DR residency, getting Revenue Canada off your back, and paying for a birth here in the DR?

We received better care here in the DR during the birth as the only "customers" for those few days, with 3 or 4 great nurses on-duty in Clinica Abel Gonzalez looking after Mom and child in their "suite". And no airfares back and forth, and the same gyno attending the birth, who was already very familiar with the patient,

Much different than a baby-factory in North America, with one or two harried nurses who have 20 or 30 or 40 to look after at once, and a shared room, and the ever-present nudge from the accounting department to hit the road the next day because the insurance folks are calling them every 4 hours to do so....

Legal residence in another country ends Revenue Canada's interest. Plus, for whatever it's worth, your kid picks up dual nationality.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I'm just wondering what's cheaper, if that's the object. Remaining a resident of Canada, subject to their taxes worldwide just to maintain your slot in their system of socialized medicine (sounds like a slightly "upscale version" of the Dario Contreras Hospital in Santo Domingo), or getting one's legal DR residency, getting Revenue Canada off your back, and paying for a birth here in the DR?

We received better care here in the DR during the birth as the only "customers" for those few days, with 3 or 4 great nurses on-duty in Clinica Abel Gonzalez looking after Mom and child in their "suite". And no airfares back and forth, and the same gyno attending the birth, who was already very familiar with the patient,

Much different than a baby-factory in North America, with one or two harried nurses who have 20 or 30 or 40 to look after at once, and a shared room, and the ever-present nudge from the accounting department to hit the road the next day because the insurance folks are calling them every 4 hours to do so....

Legal residence in another country ends Revenue Canada's interest. Plus, for whatever it's worth, your kid picks up dual nationality.

With all do respect I am 47 year old male and full health insurance here in the DR for me is $600 so why not pay that .

Airfare alone is more than that.

And from my relatives experience, that so called free health insurance is great but my uncle died before he cold be tested for cancer.

Many people go to the U.S. for medical procedures to avoid the waiting line .

Birds are free, health insurance is not.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Just to remind you that if you go back in July, you won't have any problems, however if you wait until September, which means you will be in your 8th month, being very near delivery date, you are not likely to be able to get on any plane going north as most airlines will not allow it.

OHIP coverage will be the least of your problems if you wait that long to go back there.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Why is it that you feel you should get free health care? Ohip isnt actually free, as im sure you are well aware. We are all taxed to death for this "benefit". So my taxes will pay for your baby to be born here in Canada, while you live in the DR. IM not being critical to you, as you are probably doing what is best for your baby. But to only come back because you think it should be free, should not sit well with Canadians.

You are so right. And if she get catch it will cost her more in Canada than in the D.R. Plus the doctor knowing that she is not allowed to free health care will have to deal with his corporation.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Remaining a Canadian resident does not give you right to health system.

As for Revenu Canada if you are not considered a canadian resident you will be taxed (isn't it 25%) on your canadian revenues

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Part of our yearly tax payment in Ontario is a payment to OHIP. It is charged to you based on your income on your tax file. My tax cost for OHIP was $400 on my return for 2007. I was under the impression that Canadian residents could not be out of Canada more than 6 months or they lose their right to OHIP coverage. If you have not paid taxes or lived in Canada for 10 months, your doctor needs to be informed. He would not want to be part of a fraud case. As others have pointed out, most airlines will not allow women to fly in the late stages of pregnancy for obvious reasons. Maybe when you go back for the scheduled doctor's appointment you could stay there until the baby is born. Also, every time you present an OHIP card you are asked if your address, phone #, etc has been changed. Do you plan on telling them a lie? This also would be fraud. Make sure that what you are doing is legal. Just because you are Canadian doesn't mean you can defraud a system that is paid for by tax payers. Be very careful and ask more questions before leaving the DR.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
She's been gone 10 months not years and is willing to pay taxes on the income she earned while she was away.
Will OHIP cover me during a longer absence?
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care may continue your eligibility for Ontario health insurance (OHIP) coverage when you are absent from Ontario for more than 212 days in a 12 month period, as long as you maintain your permanent and principal home in Ontario.

Absences Outside Canada

You may be eligible for continuous OHIP eligibility during a longer absence when you are away for one of the following reasons :
  • <LI class=listpad>Study outside of Canada <LI class=listpad>Work outside of Canada
  • Missionary work outside of Canada
To be eligible for continuous OHIP eligibility during one of these absences, you must first have been physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in the 12-month period, for 2 consecutive years immediately before the absence.

How long will OHIP provide me with continuous eligibility during an approved absence?
Lengths of extended absences vary depending on the reason for the absence.
<TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=500 bgColor=#dedeea border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width=200>Reason</TD><TD>Continuous OHIP Eligibility</TD></TR><TR><TD>Study Outside Canada</TD><TD>Duration of a full-time academic program (unlimited)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Work Outside Canada</TD><TD>Five-year terms</TD></TR><TR><TD>Missionary Work Outside Canada</TD><TD>Duration of missionary activities (unlimited)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Vacation/Other Reason</TD><TD>Up to 2 years in a lifetime</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

P-A

Jun 14, 2008
I wouldn't worry about it at all then. You have a doctor. You have an appointment to see her. And, of course, you are right - if you go into labour and present yourself at the hospital, they'll take care of you. Just bring your OHIP card! Good luck!

Having a doctor and an appointment here does not mean she is going to get a clear pass to a free baby delivery. Why do the "snowbirds" stay in Florida for no longer than 6 months? Because they know OHIP will not cover them if they are not here for the required amount of time in a year.

Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Public Information - Ontario Health Insurance Plan - OHIP Coverage Waiting Period

"There is a three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. It affects new applicants for coverage and former residents returning to Canada after living in other countries for long periods."

It seems like this is the answer to your problem - get yourself back home asap if you want to have a baby here.

I forgot to add... that website also says that newborn babies who are born in Ontario are exempt from the 3 month waiting period. So your baby will have full OHIP coverage once it's born, but you will not unless you've been back in the country for 3 months. Best to check into private health insurance to cover you for those months.

But in that case, wouldn't it be cheaper to have the baby in the DR? You'd save yourself the cost of plane tickets, possible health insurance for yourself (and if not then the cost of all doctor visits/procedures required for a pregnant woman), phone calls back home to your husband, etc....

Last edited:

sherri

Jan 25, 2006

Why do i feel i should get OHIP for free? I pay taxes on my world income that i make here in the D.R. I have been here for almost a year, not the last 28 years of my life. So i have paid my dues, as well as my whole family that works their a#$ off still. Plus its not only the cost,its the safety factor, most docs want to give automatic c-sections here and i dont want that if i dont need it AND my family can be there for the birth of their grandson.

I am using this forum for info purposes, so before you say your not being critical, think about your wording.

Thanks,

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolathompson
Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Sherri you can use my portion of taxes paid for your Babies delivery.I'm sure that I pay more taxes than Ms Thompson and I pay the max Health Care Premium($900) and haven't used OHIP in the 4 years I 've lived in Ontario.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Sherri:

Have your parents talk to your doctor to make sure that you are officially covered. If you need to be in Canada before the baby is born- the doctor will surely know when you should arrive (#of days) before the birth of the baby. The fact that you are coming to Canada this summer makes a legal break in time away from Canada. Be sure to file your taxes quickly. You will be starting day 1 of time away from Canada when you land back home. Therefore the process should start all over again. I am just worried more about you going back to the DR and then flying very pregnant at a later date to Canada.