Uvero alto - sabana de la mar

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
I will be at Serenis Cocoatal resort in Uvero Alto next august and after three days there I would like to reach sabana de la mar to ferry across to samana. I read about taxi fares to get there and they are too expensive!!!! is there any local public transport to go to sabana de la mar from uvero alto? how long does it takes (i know that the last ferry to samana leaves at 3 p.m.)???? My dream would be that of stopping by at playa Limon for a swimming before reaching sabana de la mar, but I think I have to give up, isn'it????
Tnx in advance

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
rent a motorbike (Yamaha DT), you can take it on the ferry to samana, if it's not to big.

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
rent a motorbike (Yamaha DT), you can take it on the ferry to samana, if it's not to big.

...I can't, since I will be there with my girlfriend and two big...suitcases since we are going to stay in Samana for some days...any other more realistc advice? just by public transport...

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
...I can't, since I will be there with my girlfriend and two big...suitcases since we are going to stay in Samana for some days...any other more realistc advice? just by public transport...

Anywhere you go try to travel light, when you travel heavy you go trough a nightmare....

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
So guys, no one is able to tell me about that trip Uvero alto-sabana del mar???? I saw on the east coast map that there is a road, namely the n. 104, from Higuey to Miches and then (I guess) to Sabana. If I take a taxi from Uvero Alto bringing me to the intersection with the route n.104, how many chances have I to get gua guas going to Miches over there????
Tnx

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The best way to get to Sabana del Mar from Uvero Alto is via taxi, trying to get there by bus is a logistic nightmare that only a local can hack. The guaguas from Higuey to Miches are the crowded minibuses, hardly sitting room for yourself and little storage for baggage. One can access the road to Miches from Uvero Alto by traveling the road through the rice fields. It has been years since I have traveled the route from Miches to Sabana del Mar; the road was rough, best suited for a 4x4, motorbike, or car with high clearance. I think that as far as public transport (buses) from Miches to Sabana del Mar I do not remember observing any.

Wish you luck.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Listen to PJT, he knows the area.
Since there is not much movement in that area, there is not much transportation.
Ask at the hotel and see what they say. I think you will find that PJT is very accurate in describing the problems you face.

Hb

Feb 7, 2007
By public transport

Uvero Alto -> Higuey (local bus) (1 hr)
Higuey -> Hato Mayor (express bus) (1 and 1/4 hour)
Hato Mayor -> Sabana de la Mar (local bus) (1 hour)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I will be at Serenis Cocoatal resort in Uvero Alto next august and after three days there I would like to reach sabana de la mar to ferry across to samana. I read about taxi fares to get there and they are too expensive!!!! is there any local public transport to go to sabana de la mar from uvero alto? how long does it takes (i know that the last ferry to samana leaves at 3 p.m.)???? My dream would be that of stopping by at playa Limon for a swimming before reaching sabana de la mar, but I think I have to give up, isn'it????
Tnx in advance

Just for the sake of argument you are on the Miches bus and want to stop at Lagunas Limon for a swim, be aware the beach is about 1.5 to 2 km ( a mile ) from the main road. You would then have to find transport to the beach to carry you and your baggage. There are few taxis in this area, if any, there mostly moto's (motorbikes) are for hire.. Yet, you may find someone with a car willing to drive you there there and back for a fee. When you are finished with your beach visit you then have to wait for the bus and hope it stops for you.

Rubio Higuey has the transit times just about right via bus from Uvero Alto Higuey - El Seibo - Hato Major - Sabana del Mar. However, you should be aware of the down time of waiting between transfer points - the great unknown of transport in this country - does complicate the logistics of traveling. You could be fortunate having to wait only a fews minutes but it is not uncommon to wait a considerable time (in the heat) to connect to a bus to make the next leg of your transit.

PJT's recommendation: if you are intent to make this trip - use the services of a taxi, the driver will be willing to take you to the beach and wait ( for a fee) while you enjoy its pleasures and then drive you to Sabana del Mar. Transit via bus, although very economical, has too many risks of delay, especially if you want to make the 3 pm ferry.

Also, talk to the staff at your resort, as they may have more knowledge of the region and may be able to hook you up with a reasonable means of transport to Sabana del Mar.

HB, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Regards,
PJT

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
Thank you all guys (PJT, Rubio Higuey and HillBilly) for your very accurate recomendations and for your time! I don't know what Rubio think about the PJT considerations on the down times waiting for the buses he indicated (I was wondering if there is somewhere a time schedule for any single leg...). I guess they may be realistic so I ended up with the conclusion that it's better to take a taxi. I just hope it is not going to ask me ten times what I would spend going by public trasnport for that trip ;-( ...anyway, I will first ask at the resort's reception!
Tnx again