trying to locate old friend

JoMamma

Jun 26, 2008
Can anyone help me. I am new to posting and not sure how to do this.

I am trying to locate an old friend. We met in Puerto Plate in the 1980's. His name is Jose Gonzalez and he used to work at the Dorado Naco hotel in the Playa Dorada area of Puerto Plata, he used to work on the beach. At that time he lived with his parents in Puerto Plata and his Grandmother lived in Sosua. I used to have his address, but have misplaced it and I don't even know if he is still in the DR.

He knew me as Jo-Ann Kaplan and I used to live in Montreal, Canada. I have moved to Toronto, Canada.

If anyone can help me locate him, it would be greatly appreciated. If you do know how I can reach him, or if you know him youself, please have him contact me. I can be reached at woollard@rogers.com

Thanks a million

Regards,

Jo-Ann Kaplan-Woollard

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You're kidding, right?
After 20 years you are looking for a Beach vendor??? One of the original sankies?
You have about as much of a chance of finding this one as Montreal has of hosting another Olympics or a major League Baseball team...

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Would that be the Jose Gonzalez who since 1990 (& possibly before) has been making and selling petrified wood statuettes in Puerto Plata, initially on the beach & more recently anywhere there is a customer? Now well in his 50's, hair going a bit grey at the sides, lost his wife to cancer a few years back? If it is, he's still around & I bump into him from time to time. But I'm not sure if the one I know uses a computer.

JoMamma

Jun 26, 2008
This Jose Gonzalez was the life guard at the beach. He used to study computers back then. I don't know if he has ever worked with computers though. I think he should be in his 40's now. All I can remember was back in the mid 80's he was still living with his parents and he took me to visit his grandmother, who lived in Sosua.

He tried to call me once from New York City, however I wasn't home and he never called back again.

Any help you can provide would be grateful.

Thanks.

Jo-Ann

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
This Jose Gonzalez was the life guard at the beach. He used to study computers back then. I don't know if he has ever worked with computers though. I think he should be in his 40's now. All I can remember was back in the mid 80's he was still living with his parents and he took me to visit his grandmother, who lived in Sosua.

He tried to call me once from New York City, however I wasn't home and he never called back again.

Any help you can provide would be grateful.

Thanks.

Jo-Ann

If he tried to call you from New York then he is most likely still there. He obviously met someone, married, and got a visa. I would forget it if I were you.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
If he tried to call you from New York then he is most likely still there. He obviously met someone, married, and got a visa. I would forget it if I were you.

Don't be so cynical. He could have been deported back to the DR and got his old job back.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
offensive

I am often bothered by the remarks made on some of these threads. Maybe people are trying to be funny.......to some maybe they are. I feel that if a question is asked, it should just be answered....if you don't know anything about the question, keep your thoughts to yourself.

In my opinion, posts like some on this thread should be deleted by the moderators.

It is offensive...most especially to many new posters.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lighten up canbon!:bunny:

In addition to the OP's request being a long shot at best, I for one have a problem taking seriously anyone who voluntarily chooses JoMamma as their username. Despite all that, Lambada actually knew someone by that name and approximate age, and based on her track record I suspect would facilitate a contact if this were to turn out by some miracle to be the person she seeks.

I have bought a figurine or 2 from Sr. Gonzalez myself, and never knew his name til now. He, along with Maria the jewelery vendor, is an institution on the PP malecon.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I have bought a figurine or 2 from Sr. Gonzalez myself, and never knew his name til now. He, along with Maria the jewelery vendor, is an institution on the PP malecon.

Hell yes - I know Maria too. Anyone know the name of the guy with glasses and a moped who looks like a shop on wheels - selling everything from cds to sunglasses to belts and so on?
Amazing guy!

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I doubt if it is the same Jose because I don't think the one I know has ever left the DR. I don't know for sure though, so next time I see him I'll ask.

There could be a Maria but the jewellery seller I know who is an institution on the Malecon & a friend of ours for 18 years ever since we first arrived as tourists is Candy (Candida). She's having a tough time right now because of fewer tourists and whilst we help out she prefers to sell jewellery & not accept gifts. So if anyone is in Puerto Plata wanting jewellery please look her up. Sorry to highjack your thread, Jo-Ann, but it seemed a good opportunity to bring it to people's attention.

Back to Jose Gonzalez.............

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
long shot or not

Lighten up canbon!:bunny:

In addition to the OP's request being a long shot at best, I for one have a problem taking seriously anyone who voluntarily chooses JoMamma as their username. Despite all that, Lambada actually knew someone by that name and approximate age, and based on her track record I suspect would facilitate a contact if this were to turn out by some miracle to be the person she seeks.

Long shot or not, what does it matter...it is a question. What business is it what anyone's username is--you can take someone seriously or not....that is up to you. As for me lightening up, I am quite lightened. I think there is way too much sarcasm on some perfectly innocent questions. I didn't realize this form was meant to be used as such and was just voicing my opinion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look it might happen. I was surprised that Lambada even knew a person of this name in that sort of occupation (connected at least to the beach) so, yeah, it might happen.

Wouldn't that be something? Another major league team in Montreal?? I mean, finding the real Jose Gonzalez??? Heck, why not???

HB sort of hoping to see this happen just so's there is baseball in Montreal...so to speak...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Look it might happen. I was surprised that Lambada even knew a person of this name in that sort of occupation (connected at least to the beach) so, yeah, it might happen.

Our Jose is no sankie, just an entrepreneur. BushBaby knows him too. And I sat and held his hand & hugged him while he cried after his wife died so..........it's that sort of a friendship. Course, what he was in his youth I have no idea..........;)