How Safe Is The Buffet Food At Sosua By The Sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travellor1

Apr 14, 2008
I have read several comments to be careful about eating the buffet food.
I'm going to be staying at Sosua by the Sea and wondered if anyone knew how safe their food was.
All our meals will be buffet style.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I've stayed at two AIs (the old Coral Marien Hilton and Casa Marina), and while the buffet never made me sick, there came a time when I just couldn't deal with it anymore. A person can only handle so many servings of mystery meat, watery marinara, and soupy-goulashy-stewy-whatever in a lifetime, and I went over my quota long ago. My understanding is the offerings at your hotel are similar.

My advice? Try some of the great restaurants in the area. In Sosua, you'd be hard pressed to find better food than Rocky's and Morua Moi. Cabarete has tons of great spots, all sitting right on the beach. You'll get MUCH better food, get out and see the area a bit, and enjoy your vacation more.

Good luck and have fun,

DRob:glasses:

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
have stayed there many times no problem do not know of anyone who has had a problem there.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i only question the food being out in the air, humidity and of course bugs. throw in a bunch of mystery tourists and you've got a recipe for something awful.
as mentioned go out and enjoy some cuisine of sosua.....

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
Hi the Sosua By the Sea has a hygiene company which regularly monitors the hotel. The company is a international Hygiene company so all health and hygiene aspects are at or above european standards. There should be no problems at all with the buffet food, they also serve a la carte meals during low season so you may be lucky enough not to have constant buffet meals.
It's a nice little hotel. Enjoy your holiday there!
Maggiemay

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I remain convinced that most people who get ill at AI resorts do so because...

1. They over indulge in high fibre food from the moment they arrive, not giving their bodies chance to adapt to a new diet.

2. They over indulge in 'free booze' to get their money's worth.

3. They sit in the sun all day drinking free booze but not water, so they dehydrate.

4. They don't realise that coconut milk/cream is a natural laxative even after the result of pina colada's all night.

5. They go straight to the food from laying by the pool without washing their hands.

When, as a result of the above, they spend three days of their holiday sitting on or staring in to the toilet, they blame the buffet...

But I would also agree with the other posts, get out of your hotel and enjoy some food from the restaurants & cafes in the area.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Hotels have by far higher health and hygiene standards as the restaurants outside, as mentioned above, they are monitored by a company with very strict inspections.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I remain convinced that most people who get ill at AI resorts do so because...

1. They over indulge in high fibre food from the moment they arrive, not giving their bodies chance to adapt to a new diet.

2. They over indulge in 'free booze' to get their money's worth.

3. They sit in the sun all day drinking free booze but not water, so they dehydrate.

4. They don't realise that coconut milk/cream is a natural laxative even after the result of pina colada's all night.

5. They go straight to the food from laying by the pool without washing their hands.

When, as a result of the above, they spend three days of their holiday sitting on or staring in to the toilet, they blame the buffet...

But I would also agree with the other posts, get out of your hotel and enjoy some food from the restaurants & cafes in the area.

Thank you...Amen....there is a G-d;)...great minds think alike. I have been trying to explain that to people for years but some insist on looking to blame another source.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Cringed a little bit when I saw the thread title, thinking a bunch of the AI haters would be on this thread saying how AI's are breeding grounds for the plague and what not. Am relieved and pleasantly surprised to hear all the good comments -- thanks all!

For the record, dinners are served a la carte (closer to say a choice of three dishes served at your table). We did a year long trial run of lunches a la carte as well, but the feedback was that people preferred the buffet for lunch so they could zip in and zip out. Fair enough. The point was that we wanted to raise the level of service, and in my estimation, table service is a big step up from buffet service.

Nowadays, we do one buffet per week, but there are exceptions. Mainly when we have large groups staying at the hotel (as we will in July) we find buffet service better for everyone. No matter how on the ball your restaurant staff is, it's extremely difficult to handle 90 people sitting down at the same time and wanting to be served at the same time. So we do buffets at those periods, not only so the groups can get fed quicker, but just as importantly so that other guests don't get stuck behind the group waiting for food.

We do indeed have an outside agency doing inspections, seminars, follow-ups etc in our kitchen, and we do keep a high level of hygene. That being said, I always recommend guests go into town and try other cafe's, other restaurants, other experiences. You've come a long way to come to our country, why hide out in the resort? Note as well that we also offer a bed and breakfast rate for those who want to go out and about and sample the local fare. Truth be told, I would only travel bed and breakfast, because I don't mind spending extra to go out and explore and eat off the resort when I travel. To each his own.

Thanks to all for the kinds words, and I hope you enjoy your vacation and get out and see what there is to see.

Joe

PS: Apologies to DR1 if this post is viewed as self promo. Feel free to delete it if so, but since the OP asks specifically about SbS and seems misinformed about the buffet service, and a number of posters have commented on the resort, I feel obliged to reply.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
We always stay at Casa Marina and we stayed at SBTS once. I have to say that I have never had a problem wtih the food at either place and being that I have some food allergies and as some would label me a tad picky I found the buffets enjoyable. Never got sick or know of anyone who has.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
My wife and I stayed at the "SOSUA BY THE SEA" few times and had some of the best food of the area for your $$$$.The other nicest hotel will cost you(+/- usa $18 per plate at least!!. Staye away from the hotel at Cabarete on the beach , they have OK drinks but the food suks in a big way ,twice i ordered a $ 15 meals and left the whole thing on the table.BUT THEY HAVE A GREAT SETTING TO SOCIOLISE AND BE ON THE BEACH. AND BE BY THE OCEAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.