New New Satellite TV service in The DR Including Internet

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
New Satellite TV service in DR Including Internet?

I have heard this now from two different people, Supposedly costs RD$ 1800.00 Pesos per month plus tax's.

Doe's anyone know the full story and what Company is providing this service?

Larry

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
New Satellite TV service in DR Including Internet?

I have heard this now from two different people, Supposedly costs RD$ 1800.00 Pesos per month plus tax's.

Doe's anyone know the full story and what Company is providing this service?

Larry

Sky satellite . I live in the POP area and john is who you call for installation his # is 809 601 9599

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No Mike, I don't think this one is Sky Dominicana that's been around for a while now, because when I was paying my telephone bill, a guy in front of me was threatening to cancel his Internet service with Codetel as soon as the new kid on the block get's set up. And a friend of mine stated that someone they new were going to sign the contract this weekend...

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
No Mike, I don't think this one is Sky Dominicana that's been around for a while now, because when I was paying my telephone bill, a guy in front of me was threatening to cancel his Internet service with Codetel as soon as the new kid on the block get's set up. And a friend of mine stated that someone they new were going to sign the contract this weekend...

It might be a company out of Puerto Rico because a Yacht Captain friend of mine just purchased 4 dishes for his owners. I have been unable to contact him as the boat is in transit.

If this is US version of satellite, the programming will be far superior than that which Sky offers.

I would switch for better programming although I have already prepaid for Sunday ticket

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
He also indicated that much of the programing will have American content In English Included unlike Sky Dominicana.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Wait a bit longer to commit to any service provider now.

By the end of the year 4 new systems will be up and running in the DR...

A local group is also doing some heavy negotiating with DirecTV to bring the full services to DR.

Same goes for internet services!

Indotel has already approved 17 fast track licenses and open competition via co-pay of already established service providers.

The people that are talking about getting the new service refer to the "trials" being run by several of the startups in the country. Some areas will get services earlier on, while others will see full services within 6 to 12 months.

If you plan to buy a TV or import it to the DR, go for a flat panel HDTV LCD or newer system. You'll need it to get your money worth!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wait a bit longer to commit to any service provider now.

By the end of the year 4 new systems will be up and running in the DR...

A local group is also doing some heavy negotiating with DirecTV to bring the full services to DR.

Same goes for internet services!

Indotel has already approved 17 fast track licenses and open competition via co-pay of already established service providers.

The people that are talking about getting the new service refer to the "trials" being run by several of the startups in the country. Some areas will get services earlier on, while others will see full services within 6 to 12 months.

If you plan to buy a TV or import it to the DR, go for a flat panel HDTV LCD or newer system. You'll need it to get your money worth!

Good advice! Thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
it might be the new company owned by Mr. jose clase. It will provide cable TV (maybe, including HDTV channels), cell phone, normal phone and super fast internet (100 times faster than dsl codetel), all in one package. It has already started in santo domingo and will soon come to santiago and the rest of the country. Like pichardo said, wait and see what else comes here. buy an LCD HDTV 1080p.
AZB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
On this regard (well just about) as well, high definition radio will be up and running soon as well in the DR. If you plan to buy a radio for your car, keep that in mind.

The hold up till this moment has been created around the update of internal rules at Indotel. Since all of the guidelines that Radio operators use are ruled by those parameters, given that HD radio operates in a different spectrum, the agency still is not 100% online on this revamping of transmission towers and equipment.

A limited test is being conducted in the D.N. of SD and one in the Cibao. They're gathering the results of such tests to gauge what kind measures should be taken regarding interference to the spectrum.

On the HDTV issue, we have that the tests conducted by Indotel have successfully provided that little measures atop the new ones need to be taken in order to have HDTV over the air signals transmitted by the local TV stations.

As a requirement, all new licenses to TV operators will include the mandate to operate on the HDTV spectrum as native signal. Indotel is currently in talks with foreign top boxes distributors to fill the need of the already in existence non-digital TV sets.

Just like in the US, the spectrum rights used today to carry TV signals will revert to the Gov and be either auctioned or leased to private industry.

BTW: Indotel has received a request from two carriers in the market that will fuse together to service the national territory using their already existent infrastructure as one provider. The names I can't disclose yet, but as soon as the two companies involved release the public documentation to Indotel, I will do so here before the local news in DR1!

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Not Wind Telecom

Hi Gringo,

I forget the name of the new Satellite company, but it's not Wind as someone else mentioned. Wind Telecom is digital cable and they have plans to bring the DVR functionality some time in the future.

I can't remember the name of the one you are thinking of, but if you live in Santo Domingo, you can go to Carrefour. They have a little kiosk set up there and they are doing live demos as to what it has to offer. I have to admit, the menus/functionality look pretty cool, but they do not have internet service, which of course was one of the first questions I asked.

Personally I'm thinking of going with Wind, but now I hear that telecable is bringing HD I'm unsure.

I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
All of you looking to get service today please wait just a bit longer before you enter any new contract!!!!!!!

Multiple service providers will be up and running by the end of the year, as such, they'll compete in both prices and services thus providing a nice bunch where to pick from to users.

HDTV is going to be the "it" of the services as well as real high speed internet services.

The work to link the DR to the new optical networks was done already and multiple companies are just finalizing their hook-ups to it.

If you really want to go with the best value for your money, your best interest will be served by waiting just a bit longer...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Pichardo, I am very much interested in HDTV.Please tell me if they will offer any 1080p channels or if they all will be on the old format, 720p?
Also, how many HD channels can we expect to get from these providers?
AZB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, I am very much interested in HDTV.Please tell me if they will offer any 1080p channels or if they all will be on the old format, 720p?
Also, how many HD channels can we expect to get from these providers?
AZB

The format of choice will be 1080i, some providers will be 1080p or 720p/i.

So far Indotel has chosen 1080p as the over the air standard (as late as last month).

One of the up and coming services provider will have the regular line up of international channels like HBO, MAX, etc... in the HDTV offering along some regular tier programming too. The amount of channels in HDTV will be the big difference you'll see later on the year. The earliest providers have little to compete with so they will opt to offer as fewest as possible in order to hook enough accounts. Later they'll keep adding as competing providers come into play.

The big talk is DirecTV and possibly Dish also coming into the DR market via a consortium that is holding negotiations to make it possible.

Even as the format of choice could be 1080i, the older sets with 720i capability will be able to show the channels.

Some providers want to start offering On Demand HDTV programming/movies.
Others are more interested in offering digital channels with more channels to watch, rather than many HDTV ones.

By the end of the year users will be able to pick the best format/channel line-up to their liking and pay scale.

Given the problems with copper and cable theft, the satellite providers have the upper hand in having to deal with man-made interruptions to the systems than land-line providers.

Just wait a little bit longer...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Good bye xga projector and hello HD 1080p DLP projector. excellent news.
Now the boys will have a field day with HDTV and the new GPS system. :)

AZB

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Pichardo, it looks like it will be well worth the wait. Please keep us updated! :)

Would love to tell Codetell to take a hike...

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
How long is a little longer?

Thanks for all the great info, Pichardo. Something tells me you work in the cable industry? Anyway, we are in the Caribbean and worse, a latin country... you will have to specify what "little" means in a "little longer." Right now, I don't have cable, but I'm not sure how much longer I can go without my morning dose of NBC news!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
No links to the cable networks, but many links to the institutions that control them and approve new services before they are known to the public.

How long? By the end of the year as latest. How early? Already two providers are running test transmissions with some clients. How good? 1080i so far only.
How much? Your guess is as good as mine...

A proposal has been made preliminarily to have all networks change to HDTV 1080p over the air. There's much to be done before a date is set for the changes and the type of rules beyond that.

Some people from Indotel are already in other countries where HDTV is being broadcast over the air, to acquire experience and the way they went about the change.

Some HD Radio equipment reps are also assisting Indotel on the guidelines to follow for the implementation of HD radio in the country.

Microsoft Dominicana is also assisting the gov on the Education front...

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
A question

I'm going to ask a question that I've not yet seen posted. I, and I'm sure many others, already have dishes and receivers for existing service(s). Is this new service going to require the purchase of additional hardware, or will we be able to use existing hardware?