All of you gringos living in the DR, get in this thread NOW...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunAndBuns

Mar 18, 2007
Now is the time for you ex-patriates to put your money where your mouth is. I have seen many countless posts and threads glamorizing the benefits of living in the DR full-time, how there are many bonita chicas to fall in love with, all of the great endless nights of going to the disco and dancing away to music, in the most brutal form of marvelous details spitted out post after post, but rarely have I seen posts that explain in a step by step guide, how to actually achieve this accomplishment of living in the DR on a fixed income? The silent majority screams to know this. Let's face it...the DR is not a place for the english speaking, white gringo to make money, but yet, I have seen a select few gringos, that knew how to beat the system and live in the DR full time. However, they advise NOTHING of how to do it in detail. So, let's all get to work...
What do you do to to make it possible to live the great dream, being in the DR full time on a full income to live generously?
Is it an IRA/401k payoff? Is it compounding interest on stock market returns? Is it inheritance? Is it the drug business? Is it money laundering? Is it owning a business? Is it winning the lottery? Is it a settlement payoff?
Just what the heck is it???
This is what I, and the silent majority would like to know, in the most glamarous details of omniscience!
NOW!

A

apostropheman

This should be interesting!

Perhaps S&B, you can tell us what you're prepared to do to make your dream happen?

Damn you're fast Chris! :D:bunny::bunny:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The thing that most (not all, but most) of the expats you envy have in common is that they brought money with them. How they got it is different for each one, and covers all of the "is it this? and Is it thats? you mentioned and a lot more.

I'm sure by far the most common is one which you didn't ask about, and the one I am doing right now. They busted their butts for years and saved and invested wisely until they had enough to finance an early retirement.

Sorry, noone is holding out on any great secret S&B. There isn't one.

PSSSSSST............................... everything above is just political correctness. The real secret is..................................... Quixtar!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
SB

With regard to running a business in the DR, common sense should dictate in a very tight market proprietary information would be kept secret.

Other than that I think that most people who relocate here have some type of retirement income. Then there are a few who have jobs here in the DR(search thread for listing) and others who are able to live in the DR and work abroad.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
S & B:

I admire your persistance, what I will do for you is forward your resume on to a good friend in HR @Riu Resorts. I think you would be the perfect candidate for an Animation Performer in one of the larger resorts on The North Coast.

You would eat for free, get to work out @ the gym for free of course, and most important, be able to keep your libido in check...imagine the demand for a Gringo Sanky? You can service all of the oversized Gringas on vacation, and get paid for keeping the boys happy. The best of both worlds. On your day off you can spend the afternoon with your Chicken Rancher Princessa in el campo.

Bien Suerte,

tambo'

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
1. Find a product badly needed in the DR.
2. Get a exclusive-importer deal.
3. Profit.

Ah yes, Import/Exports

I hear they need a replacement for George Castanza at Vandalay Industries.

Come to think of it, George and S&B seem to have a similar work ethic.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
...........what I will do for you is forward your resume on to a good friend in HR @Riu Resorts. I think you would be the perfect candidate for an Animation Performer in one of the larger resorts on The North Coast.

............., You can service all of the oversized Gringas on vacation. The best of both worlds. On your day off you can spend the afternoon with your Chicken Rancher Princessa in el campo.

Bien Suerte,

tambo'

Sorry Tambo, that job is already shared alternate days by Hillbilly & myself!!

I came here because I needed the money & could not sell my body in the UK!!:pirate: :eek:gre: ~ Grahame.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Secret Step-by-step process revealed!!!

OK, SunandBuns, here's the way to pull it off (but sorry if you want "quick and easy, slick, "beat the system" ways to do it", it's NOT quick, and at the risk of sounding just like a late-night infomercial)

Here are some of my recommended ways for someone to "pull it off":

1. Go to university (on average over a lifetime of working, a college graduate will earn more than double what a non-college graduate will make)

2. Don't have or get any credit cards during your college years unless you are also WORKING, and even then, use them only for emergencies. (a sale at your favorite store does not constitute an "emergency")

3. Find and KEEP a job (one needs to work to earn money, and most college graduates emerge from school close to broke, so they need to build up their capital). Stick with your first job even if you make donkey doodoo in the beginning. If you are diligent and work hard every day, after awhile the boss will see this and reward it. (and if the boss DOESN'T, someone else will, and grab you and they WILL reward it)

4. Spend a LOT less than you earn. Don't try to keep up with your peers in the beginning years. Save the rest.

5. Live at home for as long as possible and save the rent money, don't spend it.

6. When you have saved up a wad (only you can determine how big of a wad which you will need for the type of buisiness you want to have), quit your job and start your own business using less than ONE HALF of your wad. Jealously guard the half you have saved and don't touch it.

7. Work harder than you used to when you worked for someone else, even if you make less in the beginning than you did working for them.

8. Exercise every day, no matter what happens, or what comes up.

9. When you have financially recovered that part of the wad which you used to start the business, consider looking for a mate who is in an equal or better financial shape than you are, and they also have a JOB. Use the big head for this, and not the little guy, OK? Beauty fades, but debts just seem to get bigger and bigger.

10. Work your ass off for many years, spend a LOT less than you earn, don't keep up with your neighbors, pay cash for your toys and only borrow the minimum for your necessities such as housing, don't carry a balance on your credit cards, and invest your savings wisely.

11. When you hit your financial retirement goal (not including the value of your business) - sell your business. The sales proceeds are your "Retirement fun money" to be used strictly for fun. The wad you saved up over your working lifetime will pay the bills.

12. Move to the DR and play your axx off, using the "fixed income" you worked your axx off to build yourself.

And if you instead chose to do other things along the journey of life, like not saving anything from what you earned, keeping the closets full of the latest fashions, maintaining 3 late-model leased cars in the driveway of a McMansion that was fully leveraged, maintained healthy credit card balances your entire working life, borrowed money from your 401k whenever possible, smoked and drank your whole life and then passed on getting post-retirement health insurance - there's only one solution: live wherever you got stuck, and live vicariously on others experiences who didn't, somewhere like DR1. (OUCH !!!!)

Good luck.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You left out one thing GringoCarlos. If he follows through with number 9, he needs to be prepared to lose half of what he accumulated to the (ex)wife he picked with his big head in order to pursue the chicas with his little head.

Status
Not open for further replies.