Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation US Embassy Warning via Credit Card Fraud

Received this email from the US Embassy today:

There has been a recent rash of thefts of credit and debit card numbers from members of the U.S. Embassy and expatriate community in the Dominican Republic. Based on an initial assessment of the information provided, NO singular location of card usage has been identified. This investigation has been turned over to the U.S. Secret Service (USSS). The Embassy will continue to support the USSS with this investigation and will provide additional information as soon as it is available.

American citizens in the Dominican Republic may wish to refrain from using credit and debit cards to make purchases or to withdraw cash from ATMs here until more information regarding the source of the problem is known. Americans who use a credit card or debit card in the Dominican Republic may prefer to use one with a low maximum credit line. It is advisable to monitor your accounts for fraudulent charges at least every other day.

If you have used a credit or debit card to make a purchase or have withdrawn cash from an ATM in the Dominican Republic within the last two months, the Embassy suggests that you monitor your accounts closely for fraud. Report unauthorized charges to your credit card company or bank immediately and DO NOT file complaints with vendors.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Internet web site at Welcome to Travel.State.Gov where the current Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found. Up to date security information can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States, or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm EST, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
    American citizens traveling or residing overseas are encouraged to register with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the State Department's travel registration website at https://travelregistration.state.gov.
    For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Section Embassy is located at the corner of Cesar Nicolas Penson Street and Máximo Gómez Avenue, Santo Domingo, D.R.; telephone 809-731-4294; after hours emergency telephone 809-221-2171; ACS unit fax 809-689-6142; e-mail [email protected]; web page Embajada de los Estados Unidos en Santo Domingo, República Dominicana.

American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit
    Consular Section
    U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo
    Tel.: (809) 731-4294
    Fax: (809) 689-6142
    E-mail: [email protected]
    This Email is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 12958.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently had my credit card number stolen and used in the US and a very good friend and neighbor in Santiago had it happen to him a month ago. We are still trying to figure out where it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Two employees of VisaNet were caught and three more are on the run. So far they are talking about 40 million RD$ in fraudulent charges.
    The information is obtained inside the CARDNET facility...
    I had two friends go through this...

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It happen to my friend in Santiago. they wipe out his debit card.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my mastercard hit june3 thru june 7 for 1000 dollars,the only place I used it was at a rental company next to SDQ....Does this mean they stole my number or isthere a way for others to get a hold of it when they process..Will not use anymore.....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Forgot to say all the charges were in miami and I never used the card in Miami...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

just had my number taken while in the dr and then they racked up 3000 in charges in Japan. my card company caught it and reversed everything. I only used the card at Tropical in Puerto Plata so had to have happened there!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you mention this. I had someone get a hold of my credit card number and used it in florida as well. The only place I used that Visa was at the one of car rental companies at STI back in late May. All of the charges were made the following week. So I imagine that this may be related.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Same hear!!!

Back in Feb, my # was used in a TGIF and Walmart in FLorida as well.

These places require an actual cc, so I think my cc was duplicated.

Funny thing is, I only used that cc online.

I was credited though.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we ought to make this one a sticky, this is good info.

Me and my buddy Charles will try to figure out if we used our credit card at the same place in Santiago. At this point we have both used them in La Sirena, El Nacional, Edenorte and Codetel. Also, I don't believe these businesses could be at fault mainly because they swipe the card right in front of you, and from what I understand the trick the theives use is they take your card out of sight and swipe it on a card reader or write down the number and code on the back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast