What is appropriate for the culture?

Nocommensense0

Jun 26, 2008
There seems to be a lot of "bad press" for the resort areas. If you are a single, "middle"-aged gringa do you stand a chance? Can you go to the Punta Cana area for an extended period of time outside the AIs with any real hope of enjoying the beach, improving your Spanish and having a conversation with real people who may have a different view than you? Or, from a lot of what I have read in posts on the resort areas, are you doomed to seclusion unless you want to be considered disreputable?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Considered disreputable by whom? Unless they are people whom you truly care about, as long as you feel comfortable with your actions, why worry about what others think.I think it is most considerate of you to take the "cultural differences" in to account but the activities you mention hardly sound of a taboo nature.
If your goals are what you have outlined, I am sure you will have a pleasant vacation.

Nocommensense0

Jun 26, 2008
Well definitely thanks for that insight. I need to keep my bearings that is for sure and you are right.

However, I am always concerned with not perpetuating the "gringa" stereotype with some blatent mistakes. I have made it this far in life so I just need to be myself and take care of number one!

Thanks

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I read your other posts and i think maybe you have been confused by what others have said.

You would only have to worry about your reputation if you were doing something unreputable.

Dominican people are usually very friendly and would love to practice their english with you and vice versa.

The important thing for you to remember is to have a great time, meet new people and enjoy a new place while you are there.

Like anywhere, you need to be cautious of people taking advantage of your naivete while you get accustomed.

In one of the other threads, someone said 99% of the tourist workers see you as a business transaction (something like that).

This just means you have to be cautious if there is a romantic connection...it may not be legitimate from their part as many are looking for money, visas, sex etc.

As far as day to day communication with people you meet, there isn't anything disreputable about having conversations and meeting new people to enhance your language skills and vacation experience.

Sangria

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
As long as you are living in a resort area the only locals who will talk to you basically will be the men who want gringas for their money etc. Like any tourist area in the world the locals are walking around wanting to meet tourists. they live their lives, have friends and family and don't bother themselves with the tourists. In Punta Cana there aren't any towns, most of the locals are from somewhere else and travel back and forth on their days off. I am sure you will have a good time and will definitely get to practice your Spanish.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Come down and have fun meeting people, just understand their is a different mentality of the locals at the resort areas. They may just look at you as a business opportunity (like overcharge you for whatever) or a means to get to the US (by marriage of course).

If you are looking to meet any Dominican guys for a serious relationship, don't bother in the tourist areas - they will tell you what you want to hear and either take your money, break your heart (when they dump you in the States) or give you std - maybe even all three.

To meet the decent Dominican who might want to get to know you as a person you have got to go to Santo Domingo or Santiago. You might think you could meet a nice Dominican guy who is a poorer than you in terms or money, but unless this person is a devout Catholic/Christian, he more than likely will look at you as some sort of opportunity.

What you should realize is the Dominican culture is not in a vacuum, many poorer if not most locals are very much aware that things would be better for them abroad because they have so many family and friends who live there. This is why those in the know will tell you to look for someone of you same socioeconomic means, especially women looking for men.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
wow. i didn't realize people were sooo negative toward the dominicans!

not all people are looking for a "meal ticket" - not all people are trying to takeadvantage of you. contrary to popular belief not all dominicans want out.

if you're going to the beach to get away and improve your spanish - go for it. who cares what other people think? just be safe, don't go hooking up with anything that walks or flashing your money around and you'll be fine. dominicans are friendly, they want you to be comfortable. maybe i'm naive but i've been here six years and have never had a problem

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
no one said all dominicans,....they were pointing out that the men around the resorts tend to be that way. I have been with the same dominican man for 5 years, they are wonderful people....but as a new person to the country she should be aware of the Sankies in and around the resorts I think.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
wow. i didn't realize people were sooo negative toward the dominicans!
There hasn't been an ounce of negativity towards Dominicans in this thread.
You are imagining it.
If you have interpreted the warnings about resort workers as being negativity towards Dominicans, then how would you explain this same warning anywhere else in the world?
Surely you realize that tourist towns all over the world attract riffraff and that there's always wise guys/scammers around, attempting to separate tourists from their money.
It's not particular to the DR.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There hasn't been an ounce of negativity towards Dominicans in this thread.
You are imagining it.
If you have interpreted the warnings about resort workers as being negativity towards Dominicans, then how would you explain this same warning anywhere else in the world?
Surely you realize that tourist towns all over the world attract riffraff and that there's always wise guys/scammers around, attempting to separate tourists from their money.
It's not particular to the DR.

I agree! The OP came here, as a newbie seeking advice as a first time visitor to the DR.
Being cautious when travelling anywhere in the world warrants using ones head.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Wow. A poster actually asking what is appropriate for the culture! Would that all visitors did!

Punta Cana, for the most part, is comprised of all-inclusive hotels where most people don't leave the resort. If you are looking for areas to mix and mingle a little more with local people (Dominicans and Expats), may I suggest Sosua or Cabarete?

You will still have the tourist/local dynamic, but that's to be expected on a trip where you likely spent the equivalent of 6 or seven month's local minimum wage for your one week trip. There are a lot of interesting characters hanging about, and yes, a few douchebags. It's just that here the you're more likely to run into the douchebags because they will actively seek you out.

Enjoy the trip, enjoy the people, but take what you're told with a grain of salt. And that not only from the Dominicans but from the expats as well (many of whom will be more than happy to bend your ear with tales of how lazy Dominicans are while drinking their fourth beer on a Tuesday at 2PM at the local pub while those same 'lazy' Dominicans are at work)