Internet through Cable in Cabarete...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
any experiences? good, bad... speed? It was between 700 to 2500 pesos a month...

I live in pro Cab.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. :)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
No long term experience for me... more like, uhm, 6 hours?

I just moved into a new place that has the 700 peso/month lowest speed. Previous owner told me it was fast enough for him & capable of handling skype calls.

I already know it's not fast enough for me. Using DSLReports.com and testing to a Miami server I am getting 88kbps down & 45kbps upload. I want at least 4x that each direction.. preferably at least 6x that. I'll go in the next few days & upgrade to a more expensive, and in theory, faster connection thru the cable service & report new results here.

Previous owner was quite happy with the service & I know a couple of others that are as well. Again, no experience for me other than a few hours with cable. DSL, on the other hand, in Cabarete has worked sufficiently for me & been pretty reliable for the last several years.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

I just moved into a new place that has the 700 peso/month lowest speed. Previous owner told me it was fast enough for him & capable of handling skype calls.

I already know it's not fast enough for me. Using DSLReports.com and testing to a Miami server I am getting 88kbps down & 45kbps upload. I want at least 4x that each direction.. preferably at least 6x that. I'll go in the next few days & upgrade to a more expensive, and in theory, faster connection thru the cable service & report new results here.

Previous owner was quite happy with the service & I know a couple of others that are as well. Again, no experience for me other than a few hours with cable. DSL, on the other hand, in Cabarete has worked sufficiently for me & been pretty reliable for the last several years.

I have lived here for past two years and it's a battle to receive what you pay for....There comes a point when you say ....let's go to Cartagena

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Please update me when you have upgraded, see if there is any difference. I mean at the gas stations, if you pay for premium gasoline, you are just paying more... same ****ty gasoline in both pumps (at many stations anyway)

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
speed test

I get funny numbers with the DSLreports test. Try Speakeasy - Speed Test and test to a couple of servers. You probably will experience speed variation by time of day depending on the entire community's usage pattern. You're talking about transfer rates, not speeds, right?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ok... one stop in their office early thursday afternoon, requested upgrade to highest speed, they said it would be done about 4pm.
4:12pm, internet goes down briefly and comes back on.

I did a quick speed test at speakeasy.net & it reported 524down/200up.

The connection then promptly dropped a minute later & it took a phone call on Friday to get them to check. Within a few minutes of the phone call, the connection was back up.

Checking connection now, it is 518down/236up.

While the tv signal has not had a problem, there have been periods in last 24 hours when the cable modem shows no cable connection. A few minutes up to an hour later it comes back.

So... in summary after 48 hours: Speed is good, but have had more down time already than I'd consider okay on an ongoing basis. I don't have enough experience yet to know if that is normal or an exception. Hopefully that 'feature' goes away. If not, will switch to DSL.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think it was 2100 or 2200/month - paid a pro-rated partial month... (cable tv extra).

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
?xperiences so far...

any experiences? good, bad... speed? It was between 700 to 2500 pesos a month...

I live in pro Cab.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. :)

Installation 2 days after signing the contract - great!

I ordered the lowest speed (700 a month) to see how it works, and I got the download and upload speed that they promised - great!

Worked ok for 2 days then the cable modem broke. They have some european ones because it includes a transformer that brings it up to 220 V. (the cheap brown/black one that gets very hot). Burn marks in my shelf... Anyway I called. "Yeap, we fix it this afternoon (this was three days ago)"... no one came. I visit the office yesterday and the day before yesterday "This afternoon...." no one came. Then this morning I met the guys going into procab... YES, finally! I turn around and then I see them pass my house... I follow them and stop them, you missed my house... They turn around and yes the modem is ****ed, they try a new one and yes it works. Good! :) Then they put the new modem in the box again! "What are u doing????" -"Oh, this is for another client!" .-"Ohhhh so you only have one modem in your truck" -"Yes", looking at me like I am a stupid gringo. Of course, having only one modem in the truck, means less weight which means less gas... I am stupid

So now the deal is 3.30 this afternoon...

Ps. I can pick up a wire less signal from one of my rooms, other vise I would have taken the working modem from them...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Experience uppdate...

Ok, no one arrived yesterday, so I asked for a new modem, to do it myself, got it and now it works. Agree with CFA123, speed is not enough with the 700 pesos-alternative. Skype-calls does not work and it is zzzzzlow. I got 124 down 58 down. I will upgrade... Anyway connected!! :)

Cheers

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Update

Ok... now 3 weeks of experience with cable internet here in Cabarete.
Service has been pretty reliable. Went out once for a few hours (no cable tv either) and a couple of times it went out for less than a minute.

Speed is consistent at 510+download & 230+upload.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Ok... now 3 weeks of experience with cable internet here in Cabarete.
Service has been pretty reliable. Went out once for a few hours (no cable tv either) and a couple of times it went out for less than a minute.

Speed is consistent at 510+download & 230+upload.

Three weeks of experience for me also. Upgraded to th 1100 pesos one, get 249 down, 120 up. Skype works fine now BUT had a lot of down time, even when the TV works. Do not know why. I am fortunate to reach a wireless connection from another room that is always on (probably Codetel).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I get 1 meg down and 128k upstream in santiago. i can't wait for fast internet and HDTV. I will be in heaven. I won't even leave my home, break up with my girlfriend, terminate gym, take more days off from work just so i can spend more time with my long awaited friend, HDTV. Wow, a dream come true.
AZB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Whether the ownership of the companies is the same or not, I don't know (think it is). Either way, DeLancer in Sosua and Telecable in Cabarete do share the same channel line up from the satellite dishes in Sosua. Cable internet is also the 'same'.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Can anyone report on the quality of cable internet they get in Sosua?

Not too bad, but when the Cable TV goes out so does the internet. Which happens too often for it to beat Claro. Stick to Claro for internet in Sosua, been very dependable for quite awhile here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I've got cable internet because I inherited it with the apt... if I was starting from scratch, I'd go with DSL. Cable's been good enough for me that it's not worth switching (yet).

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Finally made the switch over to DSL.

The internet service offered thru cable is 'okay' at best. When it works, it works well. But not unusual to have unpredictable daily periods of non-service as well as I've had several 24-48 hour periods of no internet service during the last 6 months.

If you have a choice, I'd say go with DSL in Cabarete for now.