Photos of the Santo Domingo-Samana highway

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
This past weekend we decided to try out the new highway to Samana and were extremely impressed. After last month's cries of "No way will it be ready!", we were expecting some difficult patches, but boy, they must have done some serious work in the past few weeks! The whole road from south to north was paved, with lines marked and catseyes, road signage and barriers in place.

There was one small detour where a bridge (over the River Yuna???) was still being built, but even the detour route had recently been paved and signposted. It was very easy driving, unlike anywhere else in the country, and those who like to stretch their car's legs would be very pleased. On the way up it took 1hr 10mins from Autopista Las Americas to the Nagua-Sanchez road, and on the way back, despite heavy rains and slow traffic all the way, it still only took 2 and half hours from Las Terrenas all the way to central Santo Domingo.

There was a call for photos, so I took advantage of my passenger seat position to snap a few.

This was taken just after passing the first toll plaza. Most of the first section is very straight.

DR1.jpg

The second toll plaza and list of tariffs.

DR2.jpg

DR3.jpg

Going through a palm plantation.

DR4.jpg

Going further north, much of the road has been cut through the rock.

DR5.jpg

There were still a few places where they were working on laying the tarmac on the sides of the road, but it didn't impede traffic.

DR6.jpg

DR7.jpg

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Part 2

After entering Los Haitises National Park, the road became more winding. It seemed that most of the road had been hewn from the rocks, leaving impressive cliff faces towering either side.

DR8.jpg

The tariffs at the third toll plaza.

DR9.jpg

Where the detour began.

DR10.jpg

The bridge under construction.

DR11.jpg

DR12.jpg

Sep 19, 2005
it is amazing that they left the sides of the rock cutouts so steep...seems that they are asking for rock slides to come down onto the tarmack!!

what was the longest fairly straight secion of road ????

bob

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Rock falls

Thanks for the positive comments!

Bob, I had exactly the same thought. It was raining quite heavily on the way back and in some places small rocks had fallen down onto the sides of the road. There are some places that I am sure they will have to shore up in the not too distant future.

I'm not too good with distances, but there were several stretches of straight road that continued as far as the eye could see, so a good few kilometers.

One thing I forgot to mention was that they don't accept any banknotes higher than 200 pesos, and they seemed to be begging customers for their 5 pesos and 10 pesos, so make sure you take along plenty of small change to pay at each of the three toll plazas. Also make sure you have all the gas/things you might want on the journey. There are some villages and towns nearby you can divert to, but along the road itself there are no businesses, formal or informal, as yet. There were, however, several private patrol cars stopping to help cars with problems, and we saw an ambulance sat waiting at the northern entrance to the road.

Last edited:

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
It is amazing how fast private constuction companies are working when they are authorized to charge the poll as payment.

I used the highway in semana santa (3 month ago), and it took us 2 hours from entrence near Sanchez to Las Americas highway.
A lot was missing and I thought it needs up to end of this year to finish, probably I compared with the usual speed of road construction in the DR.

This shows that everything is possible if the contracts are made in an appropriate way.

GALK

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
These people are going to make huge money...imagine charging whatever they feel like for tolls for 30 years...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Isn't 130RD a little steep? for cars, etc.

It's a lot more than that. I thought I read somewhere it's something line 1300 RD for the full round trip. I would probably still pay it if I was going from Santo Domingo to Samana as the cost of the toll is probably about the cost of the extra fuel you would spend taking the other route.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
It's a lot more than that. I thought I read somewhere it's something line 1300 RD for the full round trip. I would probably still pay it if I was going from Santo Domingo to Samana as the cost of the toll is probably about the cost of the extra fuel you would spend taking the other route.

Saving all that time is for sure a bonus...worth the $$$ if one is willing and able.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Isn't 130RD a little steep? for cars, etc.

I thought Kiboko made it very clear by posting the pictures with the price structure per toll. TOTAL $RD325/auto one way.
First toll is $RD40 (no picture of that toll boot prices)
Second toll $RD130
DR3.jpg

Third and final toll $RD155
DR9.jpg

Total of all 3 tolls $RD40+$RD130+$RD155=$RD325
NOT $RD130 or $RD1,300 only $RD325 per automobile, traveling on way for the full length of this highway.

BTW motos are allowed free, for now.

Webdev

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
NOT $RD130 or $RD1,300 only $RD325 per automobile, traveling on way for the full length of this highway.

BTW motos are allowed free, for now.

Webdev

The pics were for only a couple of the tolls thus not sure about the total.

So 650 pesos round trip for a car...and a whole lot more for a truck. Still worth it I think. The question is are they allowed to change these rates at will? I think I already know the answer, but does anyone know for sure?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes Sir I saw the posting thank you very much, i still think its steep for the average person but who am i to complaint. :ermm:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
What is this average person you talk about? The average person using their own transportation to get from SD to Samana is either in the solid middle class or upper middle class. Compared to the alternative, this new highway at that price should be an extreme bargain for them.

As for most of the less well off Dominicans that would use it, they will either take public transportation, in which case I think they will be way better off once Metro etc. get well acquainted with the highway, or they will ride their motoconchos, in which case they have the best bargain of all: a safer , more enjoyable road that will be better maintained than any other in the country -certainly better than those under the hand of the Dominican government - and all for free. Actually, better than free, since they will get to save time, peace of mind, money on gas and wear and tear on their ride etc.

Somewhat aside, I wonder if this guys had to pay to ride on it, ..

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Motoconchos are free, not Harley David or sport Motor bike . If they try to charge Montoconchistas, i'll bet they just go around the toll and won't pay.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Motoconchos are free, not Harley David or sport Motor bike . If they try to charge Montoconchistas, i'll bet they just go around the toll and won't pay.
DR3.jpg

Where is the price of a Harley posted vs. motores posted?
As far as I am concerned, the posted sign says two wheeled vehicles are FREE.

two wheeled tambo'