Best place to retire?

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
We are a bilingual couple, have visited the DR several times. My husband umpires, and loves golf. We own a home in the US, nothing fancy, but would like a peaceful life.... We like our freedom and safety, would not like an all inclusive rental property. Any ideas? I'm thinking Punta Cana area... but am open. Would love to be near baseball.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Juan Dolio? Two big golf courses on the doorstep. Guavaberry and Metro Country Club. 45 mins from the capital, and 20 from the main airport. Baseball 5 miles away in San Pedro de Macoris (estrellas). Nice beaches. So quiet you can go weeks without seeing a tourist.

Matilda

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
Thanks so much for the quick info! I'll start researching that area and see. I kind of remember that area as I went to Isla Saona one time. Is it near there?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks so much for the quick info! I'll start researching that area and see. I kind of remember that area as I went to Isla Saona one time. Is it near there?

Not really!!!! They are both on the south coast, but to get to Saona you leave from Bayahibe which is about 1 1/2 hours drive east from here.

It is much quieter here than in the North, but no good for you if you want to be with a lot of expats (only a few here), lots of restaurants (we have 5 Italian, one spanish, one austrian and two posh), lots of bars, (there are two at the Villas de Mar end and more in old Juan Dolio) and lots of life!!!

It is supposed to be going to be the next Miami South Beach so there is a lot of construction going on and one day I am sure it will be lovely.....but not quiet yet!!!

Lots of rich Dominicans from the capital have their weekend apartments here, and there are a lot of working dominicans and Hiaitians as well so very good for practising your Spanish.

Apartments to rent start at around 350-400 us$ a month and you can buy older apartments from 100,000US$, new beach front from around 250,000US$ and houses from 160,000US$. There are some small (4-6 house) gated new developments from around 280,000, and of course the large Metro gated community built around the golf course where houses go from say 300,000 to a million plus. Otherwise known as la la land!!!

If you want to know any more feel free to pm me.

Matilda

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

On your trip to Isla Saona, you likely would have left from La Romana...approx. 1.5 hours from the Juan Dolio area.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest something less "touristy"...for long term living you need more than beach and booze.
Try a place like Santiago. Golf, yes, and near enough to at least 5 others within and hour and 15 minutes.
Beach: No but just an hour or so away from Punta Rucia, Luperon, Puerto Plata Sosua etc
Theater: Yes, concerts, intellectural get togethers etc.
Culture: Yes, Centro Leon is the major cultural center today.
Baseball: Super yes, home of the Champion Aguilas Cibae?as...

Cost of living a lot less than beach areas. Food, clothing, housing is cheaper.

Nicer people. Not a tourist area, so everyone is not looking to make a living from your pocket. You can live alone or meet and greet and create your own circle of friends.
There are at least two important clubs: Centro Espa?ol and the Gurabito Country Club that offer opportunities to meet good people.

There are just more things to do.

HB

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Suggestions

When you decide to permanently, or seasonally, move to the DR:
* live in 4 - 6 - 8 areas, each for 3 - 6 months; you really need to have a "feel" for all aspects of the town or city where you'll probaly spend the rest of your life;
* my favorites: Jarabacoa - # 1; Las Terrenas; Samana; Puerto Plata - Sosua - Cabarete, all north coast; south coast?? Very little experience.
* how valuable are beaches? How frequently will you probably walk the beach or swim in the ocean? Living on or near [ie walking distance] to the ocean, is alway more expensive;
* How important are fellow ex-pats? English speaking?
* How important is golf?
* The baseball season is fairly short in the DR.
* Urban? Santiago & Santo Domingo can be pleasant? Most ex-pats don't want to live in cities [my very subjective opinion!].
* RENT!! DON'T BUY ANY R E UNLESS YOUR AT LEAST 90% sure your specific move & choice are permanent. R E is a very, very illiquid investment in the DR!! Beware.
Good hunting! This process should be fun!

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
tormenta perfecta

i recommend northcoast since you will be free from hurricanes, i landed in sosua, but there are other nice spots, try cabrera, also.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We are a bilingual couple, have visited the DR several times. My husband umpires, and loves golf. We own a home in the US, nothing fancy, but would like a peaceful life.... We like our freedom and safety, would not like an all inclusive rental property. Any ideas? I'm thinking Punta Cana area... but am open. Would love to be near baseball.
Rent a car, tour the country for a month or so, checking out all posible areas, and go from there.

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
Wow, what a wealth of information! Thank you all. We traveled by bus to Isla Saona from Sto. Domingo, so probably went by Juan Dolio. I did look at it and it definitely looks nice. I also like the less hurricane possibility of the Northern coast. This year we were in Samana, and I liked it ... but as gringosabroso points out... when we were there we didn't get that "feel". We are not party people or boozers :) so my pull toward the beach is just one of a change in lifestyle and an appreciation of the DR's natural beauty. Again gringosabroso is right on, we don't particularly want to live in the city. Hillbilly, thanks for the tip about Santiago...many of our friends have told us that Santiago is the best city in the DR.... I think I just want quiet for a while. Maybe Santiago is the best place to be after I get my fill of the beach. Good advice not to buy, right away.... we probably would have. Don't mean to be dumb, but what is R E ?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Noche,

First, welcome to DR1.

Second, there are no dumb questions. Ever.

Third, "RE" is shorthand for real estate.

Finally, proportionally speaking, many of the beach towns mentioned (sosua, cabarete) are far more rambunctious than cities like Santiago, especially at night.

Hillbilly and Rocky are widely regarded as two of the more knowledgeable people on this board, and I would strongly encourage you to, at a minimum, give their advice some consideration. Take your time, explore a bit, and think of what your long-term cultural, social and infrastructure needs will be.

Good luck,

DRob:glasses:

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
Of course R E is Real Estate, duh! I think the best thing for us to do is to park our belongings at our friend's home in SD and take off exploring for a couple of months. I keep remembering a movie that Jack Nicholson was in where he sells everything he owns and moves to an island somewhere and after 6 weeks he realizes all he really needed was a new focus ... Your advice is right on DRob, thank you so much.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Jarabacoa

In your exploration be certain to include Jarabacoa. Wonderful people, perfect weather, beautiful mountains, reasonably priced homes and a nice golf club.